What is the end game?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Lunartic, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Lunartic

Lunartic Member Silver Stacker

I'm a noob to PM stacking and got into it on a friends recommendation and started my own research and journey.
    What I have read, seen and heard is quite concerning... And I think my Username is quite fitting.

The usual reason to stack PMs have been written many times before in this forum, so I won't repeat them, but how far into this SHTF scenario do we think it will get???

I've read people buying guns, ammo, storing food, storing water, emergency kits, generators etc etc..
    Sounds like some people are preparing for something out of a disaster movie (The Road, Mad Max, Book of Eli etc)

Should I start:
    - Buying everything in cash, so it doesn't leave a trail so people or The Gov can hunt us down, post SHTF.
    - Send Silver deliveries everywhere except home (same reason as above)
    - Run out and get some guns, ammo and land mines.
    - Spend $5k on a safe I self install, so no one knows where I live.
    - and so on...

Just interested to see how far stackers here think it will go or more importantly, have prepared for.:(
    My apologies for my alarming/paranoid rant.

2. Ernster

Ernster New Member

Quit worrying. Australia won't be as badly hit as the US and Europe...the worst that will happen is our real estate prices crash.

Sure prices of everything are going up and its only going to get tougher, so you should be prepared but I wouldnt worry about some mad max style scenario over here.

Just save as much money as you can, quit buying too many luxuries like ipods, ipads etc and put as much money as you can into Silver, buy a little Gold if you can, but Silver is where you want to be. (higher gains to be made). Wether or not you want to eventually trade your Silver for Gold is another question. Store a little food if you want but I wouldn't go overboard personally.

..and Go on with your life

And in a few years take a look at the Silver price and you should be very happy.

*Not financial advive.

PS: everyone will have their own opinion of course.

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In short, The end game is GOLD.

As much as you can...as cheaply as you can.

Don't worry about the SHTF or hiding off the grid stuff until you're comfortable you have enough gold. Don't bother with $5K for a safe when you can hide $5K worth of gold in the toe of one of your shoes, or in the hollowed out leg of a chair.

4. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You're more likely to have an accident that leaves you disabled, get fired from your job, break up with your significant other, have a business venture collapse or have your 3rd-Party-Only insured car get totalled by an attacking dropbear than finding yourself in a boarded up house repelling wave after wave of the starving masses.

Precious metals = valuable store of wealth that can be converted to cash in the event of an emergency.

The only real question is what sort of an emergency do you think is most likely to occur. Whatever it is, that is what you should prepare for.

pi likes this.
  5. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

:D :D :D

lol

malachii

6. Clawhammer

Probably the best 'leading' question I heard was 'what have you done to prepare for a doubling of your living expenses in the next few years' ?

7. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am the contrarian, I believe that all the major Australian cities will see soup kitchens before this all plays out.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

The best preparations are actually fairly simple IMHO.

1 - Get out of debt. Those who hold debt (and assets supported by debt) will suffer the most.
    2 - Be liquid. Cash in the bank will go bye bye. A small amount for regular trade is fine, else get some cash at home and the rest in commodities.
    3 - Get used to the Alpha Strategy style living. Buying commodities in bulk, use space to have a store of Water, Food and household goods that can breach a period where you can't walk down to the shops.
    4 - Be mobile and prepared to move. Some areas of Australia (like QLD) have been hit by unpredictable events. Expect it to happen again and be ready to move when you need to.

Most of the unrest taking place will relate to an unwinding of the financial system abroad, political unrest and the countless trillions in debt looking for a way out.

Whilst I believe Australia is probably going to be one of the safest places in the world to see it through, those who are not yet familiar with working hard for what you get and living within your means are going to get a very harsh lesson in reality.

But I wouldn't be looking for guns n ammo, beans and 4WDs just yet.

9. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

the end game is about being able to sell your silver when you need to

not mucking people around by not turning up for a sale
    not blaming the administrators software system for messages not being sent
    not expecting people to drop what they are doing and meet at a whim
    not expecting people to clamour over you to buy your silver as if spot price is the new religion

the end game is about compromise by taking personal responsibility and treating your fellow man with dignity, fairness and respect

10. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

nice a well deserved spray .nothin worse than a no show . theres not much that gives me the irrits more than that..

11. systematic

its not a spray - BUT i am not driving out there again to "home deliver" my cash - happy to meet up my way for a change as a compromise

they are just practical principles

Auspm's post 8 is a good guide - but i wouldnt want some a--hole following them because then we as a collective are still no better off

we all make mistakes but the the end game is about purifying the gene pool and weeding out the less desirable traits

12. systematic

although i must say he deserves a spray - no wonder he wont provide a contact number
    good luck to those that deal with him

13. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

We have tragic bushfires in NSW, VIC, WA, & TAS. We have floods and cyclones in Qld, WA & NT, Also floods in the other states at times.

But are we prepared for a tsunami from an earthquake occurring somewhere around NZ.? The whole east coast from the Sunshine coast to Adelaide could be at risk.I don't think we think that an event like this could happen in Australia but who knows what nature will throw at us.

The tsunami in Japan shows how vulnerable cities and towns are when they are built on or near the coastline.

The odds of an event like this for Australia may be long but we should never say never.

We all have to accept that nature can change quickly the best made plans of mice and men,

Regards Errol43

14. systematic

thats right errol and what nature will teach us is to sort out the wheat from the chaff and who is who and sort the bs artist from those of principles

15. Guest

Guest Guest

To be fair mate, this has nothing to do with the individual.

I assure you that even the most pious is no less susceptable to being wiped off the map as the most evil tyrant when a 1000 foot wave heads in your direction.

All you can do is take steps to place yourself in the least likely path of destruction and live out your life.

I will make the most logical decisions I can about where my odds are best, considering the unpredictable nature of the planet at the moment but what I will absolutely not do is live in fear of events beyond my control either.

If a 1000 foot tsunami is headed in my direction and jumping in the car is sheer folly, I assure you I'll go down the beach, flip the bastard the bird as it rolls in and go out in style.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBErkwUbeq4[/youtube]

16. systematic

its a numbers game on a grand scale

17. Clawhammer

Hey, to be fair... I only did that to you a coupla dozen times ;) :p :lol:

All things being equal... I'm seriously considering putting together a get out of dodge duffel bag with a least a sleeping bag, some dried food and a change of clothes etc for a quick exit. No use having 3 months worth of food if your house has collapsed on it.

I presently have my camping gear distributed amongst 2 rooms and a garage!

18. Lunartic

Wow ok. The later posts in this thread have gone on a different tangent.

Natural disasters are one thing, as I have no control over them.
    I was more concerned about how 'severe' we think the SHTF moment is going to be & what have others done in preparation of their belief.

Is it going to set Civilsation back 100 years, another Great Depression or somewhere in-between.

19. Lunartic

Can you elaborate on this point mate? I would have thought a loan in current dollars would be easier to pay off when inflation hits, PM prices go up. Loans are not adjusted for inflation are they?? Interest rates would be a worry..

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but would appreciate your help to clear this up :)

20. systematic

in a SHTF or great depression do you want to have to put up with scabs? do you want to have to put up with people that dont follow through?

the greatest preparation i believe we can do is learn to discern because one of the greatest challenges will be psychological