What do you do with milkspotted coins and rounds? [Now with a pic!]

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Jul 16, 2015.

1. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

SilverPete, I taught you all I know, and still you know nothink. Swallow them, and 18 hours later you have a perfect coin.

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm going to some really shiny coins to sell at the next monthly meet :) My complexion may be a bit yellow, but please ignore that.. Hehehe :p

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have milkspots on some generic rounds, they do exist but no one gets too upset about them.

I have moved away from buying any new releases. Not only because of milkspots but they are certainly a contributing factor...

1. The designs are pretty meh on quite a lot of the new offerings
    2. Antiquing, colorization, certificates of authenticity, packaging, gemstone inserts, odd shapes, scratch'n'sniff have all turned me off "Coin" collecting
    3. The sheer number of new releases coming out
    4. The difficulty in obtaining some new releases from abroad
    5. The cost of postage
    6. Competing interests
    7. Mints estimating how popular a coin will be, then making fewer than needed to create artificial rarity (My pet conspiracy theory).
    8. I have gotten over the need to get a complete set of anything
    9. I have come to the realisation that I am rubbish at 'flipping' coins, or anything, on eBay, so 'buying extra to sell' to bring the unit cost down hasn't really worked for me.
    10. I ran out of storage space a long time ago, no new coins come in until some old ones go, and coins don't fit into corners.
    11. I am no longer worried about missing out on a hyped up "gotta have it' collectible, many struggle to hold their value.

I will buy a coin a couple of years down the track if it comes up at a nice price, then I can see what condition it is in, I might pay a bit extra, depending on spot and premiums but I am not going to end up with a tube half full of coins will low 'eye appeal'.

I am enjoying adding world junk silver to my collection and I am slowly getting around to cleaning all the grease and dirt off the ones I already have, blemishes are "character", wear is "history" designs are well thought out and actually mean something, storage is a treasure chest, no capsules, no gloves, no separation of stacks.

I am also buying low premium XAG 1oz bars, uniform size, stack well, no frills or special requirements.

As to the ones I have milkspots on, they will just end up in a ziplock bag until a cure is found, or a class action is taken against the companies, whichever comes first.

4. Boyscout

Boyscout Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lol

I am curious about that funny odour that is coming from those coins

5. SpacePete

I Will put them in airtight capsules. Just remember, NEVER OPEN THE CAPSULE!

6. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

You could do that but as soon as you do they lose a recognised and trusted purity. You then have to convince someone that it's still .999 and then you usually have to lower the price a lot to sell. You would probably get more for it as a milkspotted coin.

7. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

this was a project of mine in spring! destroy milkspots, add value and reverse engineer this antique finish.

ladies and gentlemen may i present you my first prototype of an homemade antique finished noahs ark.

[​IMG]
    Source: milkyspot secret labratories daarpa mi6 inc.

The antique finish doesnt rub off like with other methods. The darker part where the sky is was further more only a test of faking a ruthenium gilding.

And most important, milkspots destroyed and really not to be seen. Please also note the bashed up rim too add some authenticity. :D

8. SpacePete

Wow!!!!

9. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

Its really shocking that i can reproduce this "upgrade" and create fakes.:)

Before i experimented with different chemicals i did the egg method on an old austrian 25 schilling coin but was not really satisfied. The patina was rubbed of easily and with salt and vinnegar i could clean it again. I left it byside started to experiment to put a a cooper gilding on a 10 eurocent coin. That worked really good.

After a while i spotted ugly spots on my noahs ark and it was the time when this "gods of olympus hype" was here. I thought to myself, i can also do that. So on top you can see the outcome of my tests.:lol:

cheers

10. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Sound thinking and sage words. I'm so sick of the proliferation of spotted/damaged coins, lackluster designs, etc that I wish I'd never caught that series collecting bug years ago. Right now, I'm starting to think about offloading my complete collections of Britannias, Kooks, Koalas and Takus and putting the proceeds into tubes of generic rounds. Oh, well---Thank God, at least I'm not sitting on a barrel full of >$100/oz "special" releases and commemoratives with paint and glass chips on them and space-wasting, cutesy plastic boxes to keep them in...

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming... Milk spots are the herpes of silver bullion. Mints that put out coins that continue to be plagued with milk spots should be ashamed of themselves, no matter what their shabby excuses are.

11. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

@fat freddy yes milkspots are annoying. the noahs ark from above was the only one which developed some in my collection. Good thing that it was only my sample copy and my main focus is somewhere else.

but dont forget gold can also get red copper spots. i have 1 "collectorscoin" with that illness:/

@jislizard i would keep your coins. this music-peculiar shape-glow in the dark crap is imho only a scam to take people money. no serious investor buys coins with gimmicks like that and i assume you anyway dont have any of those. :cool:

Yes all this new series are crap and its impossible to keep up with. But on the other side, who really will remember "gods of olympus" in 3 years??
    Better stick with the majority and pick stuff which is widely known and has a large well estasblished collector base. e.G. sovereigns, morgan dollars...etc.

12. libertymate

libertymate Member

[​IMG]

I bought this coin on here and it had a rather large undeclared milkspot, the remnants of which can be seen on the lower edge of the coin. Rather than complain, I thought I would artificially tone it as a present for the girlfriend. ;) I like the result so much I want to keep it! :D

13. Antalon

Antalon Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm going to throw some tin foil hat madness into the mix that may or may not be relevant.

I live near the water, so everything metal here rusts.. tools in the shed, metal around the house, car etc..

The only rounds I have with milk spots are the ones I purchased with spots.. Does the salt in the air have something to do with my rounds not spotting?

Curious..

14. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

The microwave usually eliminates the milk spots.

15. SpacePete

Now I'm thinking of cooking them in a sulphur broth :)

16. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

lol. Let us know how that works out for you....lolol
    I suppose you could do that with some rounds, and claim they are 100 years old.

17. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Ask the ACCC if milk spotted coins can be replaced within a certain time. As there is a damaged / faulty goods act that has changed in recent years. Is bullion excluded ? Not sure. ACCC will have all the answers. Besides, dealers should send such rubbish back to the mints for exchange, then they may make a flawless product. Why pay a premium, if mints claim they just investment grade coins.

18. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

Not a bad response at all. +1. This issue is on the dealer's side of the equation.
    Demanding superb quality & getting refunds/exchanges on less than perfect "mint" products could & would eliminate the issue.

19. SpacePete

Or it would bump up prices massively.

20. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

I'm already complaining about premiums as it is now.........lol