What did you buy today , of the non PM range

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by spannermonkey, Jan 27, 2013.

1. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No I can see it
    = technology sux
    Stamps
    I've been buying pre decimal full sheets.

ozcopper and Tactile like this.
  2. spannermonkey

This is NOT for those who are part of the fruit conspiracy :p ( Apple users )
    Exact opposite
    Paranoid ?
    https://www.kickmobiles.com/intactphone-bond
    Piece of crap
    Can't get into the settings properly to setup a hotspot
    Don't have permission to accept messages
    Get farked , sending it back

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
    Oddjob and ozcopper like this.
  3. Gazza79

Gazza79 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Managed to pick up a few very nice vinyl’s yesterday.

Led Zeppelin 4 ( untitled ) Original Press. Almost Mint condition.
    E2B81421-FB09-4227-AA54-52BC71CE16D9.jpeg

Led Zeppelin Presence. Original Press. Almost Mint condition.
    25B8B555-653A-46C4-9C30-C35FB0057F7D.jpeg

Nirvana In Utero. Original Pressing. Mint Condition Unopened.
    ABAC1E44-D473-4B5C-817B-1F97BDD09850.jpeg

yuripuka, dollars, neonuke and 5 others like this.
  4. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Resized_1000001672_250855559819355.jpeg
    Resized_1000001594_271157487907392(1).jpeg

I sort of collect these runner sleds but just because they are fun where we live.
    My son found another one for sale in Salida so he grabbed it for me, in the pic leaning against the Toyota.
    It's in the 1962-1970 Sears Christmas Wishlist catalog and it was $8.99 in 1962,
    In 2023 it's $65!

I got the runners all wire wheeled clean today, paint and rust removed and ready to go.

There's a YouTube video of a dude going 50 mph on one of these bad boys.

The Sears catalog mentioned that those sweet vinyl hand grips were added for extra safety!
    Back before kids wore helmets!

5. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. spannermonkey

ozcopper likes this.
  7. JohnnyBravo300

Resized_1000002500_1717293112684(1).jpeg Resized_1000002492_1717293129782.jpeg Resized_1000002506_1717293160052.jpeg

Picked up this lifted 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited this morning for $4200.
    It's got all the bells and whistles, leather seats and even the a/c works but needs a front brushguard so I'll have to order that.
    It only has 100k miles and I'm due for a new grocery hauler so I jumped on it. Should be a good little truck for a decade or so and I've been in the market for awhile patiently waiting.
    Now I can sell one of my Subarus that has 332k miles.
    I couldn't wait to get it home and crawl on some rocks in the yard!!

8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Jeep are a bit of a maligned vehicle over here. Not sure if it's based on fact or the simple truth that many just can't entertain the notion of driving a non-Toyota.

My last Toyota was an FJ45. I currently drive a Mitsubishi.

9. JohnnyBravo300

Toyotas and their parts are way overpriced here in the States so no options there unfortunately.
    Plus it's alot more roomy and with a v8.

I like the old Toyotas reliability but they almost make me claustrophobic with how tiny they are built.
    Plus with boots on they are impossible to drive without pushing both pedals at once haha.
    I need some little Jap feet I guess.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    ozcopper and barneyrubble like this.
  10. mmm....shiney!

New 300 Series Landcruisers $150 000+. And that's a vehicle on order so no different here. If I could afford any vehicle I'm not sure what I'd buy, maybe a petrol Amarok.

11. JohnnyBravo300

Resized_1000002516_1717356399265.jpeg

I just realized today but they even provide a place to keep your beer in the shade while outside the vehicle.

Man Jeep really thinks of everything!

12. Michael Kay

Michael Kay Active Member

a '97 Grand Cherokee! I remember when we had them new here in AU, it was the OG soccer mom "Yank tank". I like the styling on them. A cool 90s car. An actual machine

I do like Subarus, but not any of the new ones. Now they are a manufacturer who has "big brother" sensors galore and only CVT. In short, they suck. The 2 litre turbos on the 1990s and early 2000s were their high point for me. The OG boxer rumble is no more... killed off due to emissions standards.

The only issue I have with a used Jeep is that they are very unreliable, and need constant work (if they don't have a catastrophic engine/tranny failure). I have dabbled in tree shade mechanics (taught by my dad) and Jeep to my mind are on the low end of the reliability scale, along with Ford and GM. The now-discontinued Aussie Ford Falcons have an interesting history +D

Toyota, Subaru, Honda and Mazda have been proven to be pretty reliable, requiring minimal repairs once out of warranty. Nissan have always been a brand I've been skeptical of... they have produced some real lemons but used to make some good sports cars. Toyotas are just boring but bulletproof.

Nowadays, you have BYD, MG and Tesla. A big ? mark on those, but I think they are shit. I'd imagine they are like BMW or Audi or Merc. Massive depreciation and God help you if you are out of warranty.

13. JohnnyBravo300

I agree about the Subarus!
    I've had my 98 Legacy Outback for almost 10 years and paid 1k for it.
    Ive replaced the steering rack, mass air flow sensor, fuel pump, radiator and a fan, head gasket, timing belt, rear struts, center driveshaft and probably a few other things that I forgot.
    It's at 332k miles and some change.

My 96 Impreza was $800 and is lifted 2 inches with King Springs and oem struts.
    New clutch, cv shafts all around, timing belt, center driveshaft, exhaust and other stuff.
    It's at 285k and still going strong after 15 years off grid with me.
    I just drove it 1450 miles to my mom's and back a few months ago and it did great but with some minor issues. Some windshield trim blew off at 75 mph and I had to get under the dash to turn off the heat going from Colorado to Kansas which aren't huge deal breakers for me.

The 97 Grand Cherokees were a good year for reliability and have pretty good reviews so we will see and ill report anything haha.
    They are everywhere here in Colorado as well as Subarus.
    As of now I've only been replacing the fluids on the Jeep but I need some silicone gasket for the diffs and I forgot spark plugs.

I can pretty much keep anything running for years unless something catastrophic happens.
    I've worked in a few car shops and raced dirt bikes enough to know how important maintenance is and I'm fairly anal with that.

Tomorrow it will go on a 3 hour tour for the plates and registration in Saguache and I'll see how it goes.
    It seems to drive real nice on the highway.

Michael Kay likes this.
  14. Michael Kay

that's some high mileages. We have a 2002 WRX in the family and it's a rip-snorter. Had it dyno tuned with basic bolt ons 10 years ago. It is sitting at around 118,000 miles atm (had 39,000miles when bought). Motor and box/clutch still seem perfectly fine, but the following have been done: 02 sensor, radiator, struts, steering rack refresh, a couple of power window switches, FLCA bushes, thermostat, water pump and a timing belt 5 years ago. Only time it's let me down was a flat battery.

JohnnyBravo300 likes this.
  15. Michael Kay

...i might have forgotten to mention some things... Tappet covers were done recently, and a couple of split drive shaft boots replaced.

Here in Australia, there are a head of crap new cars like MGs and BYD EVs. Australia has no tariffs on those and I am surprised how much people are shelling out serious coin for non-legacy, unproven brand cars. The arse is about to fall out of the Ev market here.

16. mmm....shiney!

Value is subjective.

Everyone makes purchasing choices based upon criteria that they think best meets their needs and desires.

That's how stuff works. You like 22 yo Jap sports cars that have some zing, I like modern 4WDs that come with rear diff lockers standard (yes they're not air lockers) and don't rattle the shit out of my vertebrae. But I do want a BRZ.

The world would be a dull place if everyone drove WRXs. Plus heading up the beach or to your favourite campsite with the fam would be a touch challenging. :(

barneyrubble likes this.
  17. JohnnyBravo300

I'd lift a WRX a few inches and put bigger tires on if I had one.
    I'm still in the market for another car so you never know.

Michael Kay likes this.
  18. Michael Kay

If everyone drove a WRX, the world would be chaos . Hoon nation.

Personally, I think people here buy the CNY crap because it's cheaper. They couldn't know what a driver's car is. The EVs are often govt subsidised if attached to a business or used as a work vehicle.

We've just come out of an era where cars had actually been appreciating....absolute lunacy as traditionally, cars are nothing more than a black hole money pit. The bubble is well and truly bursting now, esp EVs. I can tell you that those EVs will not be on the road in 10 years... 22 years... dreaming.

The WRX gets a lot of attention as it's always been garaged, in fact it's appreciated 30% since Covid, apparently, and its worth something because most ones of that vintage have been abused, crashed or neglected.

The new WRX is sterile and electronic, with a factory "big brother" dash cam with emergency braking and other nonsense. And no more hydraulic clutch, and an artificial gearbox that feels like a video game arcade gearshift. It'd take a ton of modifying to make it visceral.

BRZ is a RWD driver's car with the mechanical things I mentioned, but the fact is they are slow N/A cars that can be out-dragged by a V6 Camry. Why they never put turbo on them, I'll never know. Seemingly designed for p-platers. The new model looks real nice... the older ones just had the most hideous rear ends to my mind.

mmm....shiney! likes this.