Were the 70's scarier than now?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by spets1, May 3, 2011.

1. Ernster

Ernster New Member

LOL WTF was that noise?

Its either 70s/80s rock or nothing baby...everything else comes a distant 2nd place.

2. silverc

silverc New Member

Didn't experience Bondi lifesaver, but do remember seeing inxs, oils and specially the Angels, Renee Geyer, rads, acdc, chisel, icehouse all in my home town

Loved Toranas XU1

our first colour tv was in 78 - Mum would put coloured cellophane over the b&w before that

Ex had a dato

Life was easy and i had nfi about finances - went to school or to a job and spent my pay and then .... relationship, marriage, kids, house, existing.....ups and downs, just lucky a few investments got me to owning my place ......

And now I don't think times are tough.... well for me anyway, have worked hard, experienced some very bad times financially, emotionally and physically - many lessons have been learned by these experiences and so life goes on. As a friend said today in reply to a "what if" question - I'll deal with it when it happens and that's what you do. You can prepare to a certain extent but when SHTF in your own life.... generally life goes on - you win some, you lose some.

and the nuclear stuff would scare the life out of me... but what could you do... it still does actually - don't know if that's warranted or not ???

3. silverc

silverc New Member

And what is dubstep? - my son has talked about it on fb but no idea - can you enlighten me?

4. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

dubstep is an offshoot of drum n bass when people got bored with it, basically the same basslines but slowed down to a dub/reggae speed which is more like 70 bpm. Drum n Bass is 140 bpm, so it's like half the speed. It's a portmanteau of Dub and Twostep. Fellow Silver Stacker Citizen could provide a much more accurate description of it than me as he was well ahead of the bell curve when it became popular. Basically it's in phase 3 now, as Britney Spears just did a dubstep track. I've personally never been a fan, but Citizen insists there are some good examples of the genre. :p

5. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

some typical ish examples..

Drum n Bass skip to 2:20
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KZoWLot0g[/youtube]

Dubstep skip to 0:44
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8UbnszZBPQ[/youtube]

btw, excuse the heavy derailment from the original topic, just responding to a question :)

6. silverc

silverc New Member

And I thought a "pormanteau" was a large suitcase - another no idea when i moved to qld - why was everything sent in a port, that's where ships go isn't it?

7. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

to hold'em in the holden!

8. silverc

silverc New Member

My dad was a yorkie - you don't know how close this is to the stories he told

9. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

don't forget going to the back of the shop to pinch a soft drink bottle then taking it to the front counter to exchange for 20 1cent lollies AND taking 20mins to individually select the said lollies while the attendant huffed sighed to get you to hurry up :lol

The 70's had cool fashion - flares were great unless you were riding your bike

10. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah dubstep phase 3 hahaha good analogy!

I loved the dubby stuff when I first heard it in 2007/08..

The old dubstep was done in excellent taste imo, it's still around, but the popular side has gone pretty sour

THESE on stadium speakers... I 'n I tell ya dread! bumbaclaat dem!

DARK:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE6LmQs8G28[/youtube]

LIGHT:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11zaTkxYS7w[/youtube]

11. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I only got into dubstep at the start of last year, but have already transitioned into the older stuff.

New things coming out sounds all the same, designed for the masses.

It's actually a great comparison with silver!

12. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Wow boneyard all that is a blast from the past... lifesavers inxs on a sunday selinas @ coogee i probably seen you there & $5 was getting expensive !!!.I remember seeing the angels for $2

13. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

OT from original post, yes the 70's were scarier, only because we had bikes that had dodgy brakes and we lived at the top of a steep hill in Brissie and those damn cotter pins would rip chunks off your ankle as you peddled.

On topic, I was only a kid, but from what I've read, the silver market was much smaller. It was confined mainly to the US so therefore most profits and losses only affected a few players.

OT again, nowadays the "doomsday" of previous generations (whether that be nuclear holocaust or a communist takeover) has been replaced by a growing fear of social degeneration. A malaise of epic proportions enhanced by the tripe fed to us by the media and our own information overload courtesy of the WWW.

But then again, ask anyone younger than 20 yo whether they are scared of the future of the world and like we did then, they would answer "Na".

But dubstep does concern me. :)

14. bsides

bsides Active Member Silver Stacker

love dubstep!!!!

15. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Thanks bsides. You know what I like about this forum? I learn something new every day. Never heard of dubstep before until tonight, LOOK, even the spellcheck doesn't recognise it! Tonight I've been listening to John Renbourn, now that man can play guitar. :D

16. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perhaps when I'm feeling a bit younger Nugget
    :)
    I learned about milking, fencing, baking, cooking, egos, money, communes and bureaucrats.
    I learned about the dreams of the 1930s and the pain of the 1950s and how history repeats from old communist party members.
    I learned about pigs of the porcine variety and pigs of the greedy kind who had lost all their dreams.
    I learned to never lend, but to give it if you're happy for it to disappear because a friend will return it, and if one doesn't it's a cheap test.
    I learned that the country is a healthy grave and the best place to hide a tree is in a forest, hence the return to the city.
    I learned that Facebook is best not mined for the past.

as 'The Boss' says"

Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight
    and I'm going to drink till I get my fill
    And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it
    but I probably will
    Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
    a little of the glory of, well time slips away
    and leaves you with nothing mister but
    boring stories of glory days
    Glory days well they'll pass you by
    Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
    Glory days, glory days

or as the Greeks say:
    'time coats memories in honey'

17. bushfaery

bushfaery New Member

WARNING: this reply is only about music.

Holy crap! I can't believe I've found a forum where people talk about the sort of music I listen to. Although the dnb and dubstep are more up my partner's alley. As for 70's disco, if it had the funk, it was quality. In fact, if anything has the funk, it's quality. I'm more a funk/hip hop stacker myself. I stream this all day at work. http://www.wefunkradio.com It's 95% top quality sheeeit and they often play the above choon that Clawhammer posted. Have to rush to turn it down if there's anyone around.

It's the funky sheeeeeeit!

As for what's emerging as times get tougher... look to Aussie hip hop. Also reggae. Conscious lyrics and groovy beats in both camps. Don't write off hip hop if all you've heard is mainstream. There is stuff out there that is takin' it to the man!!

18. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Knowing my luck ..........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFp9usiH1Xs[/youtube]

19. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

should start this thread again with the clause -music. This thread was a great idea but went WAY OT

20. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

just roll with it, it's seriously not the end of the world if the discussion on a discussion group ventures outside of the original discussion.