WATER (Purification Tablets) stacking

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by Water&Food, May 27, 2012.

1. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Fresh drinking water is getting harder to get your hands on without resorting to licenses and paying up fees to companies/governments (excluding rain or streams running through your property - lucky you)
    The problem with water stacking is that it has to be stored in food grade containers out of sunlight, and even then still has under 20 years before needing to be treated (if stored still), and don't get me started on kinder surprise mosquito larvae found in still water, and that still depends on atmosphere and environment where the containers are stored since plastic is susceptible to 'breathing' (i.e. outside particles leeching in to contaminate water).

So, what I propose is to instead stack purification tablets or equivalent. This not only solves the dilemma of storage space, but also solves a hassle free way of quick and easy 'sanctifying' (i.e. sanitizing) of water.
    However, purification tablets also have shelf life, but silver apparently does not.

Unless you is one of them rulers of the world with acreage containing lakes and runoff, you are still relying on others for water.

Rainwater tanks only get you so far. 5000 Litres only lasts one person one month most times (if using less than 40L per day for both showers and washing of clothes and crockery). Still takes up lots of space. At least with purification tablets you can just 'stumble' across water elsewhere (such as the sea/ocean).

Purification Tablets can be found at any good army disposal store or camping stores. They are 'cheap'.
    I forget the shelf life of these tablets, cause the ones I have now do not have a date visible. So, I will come back to post at a later date when I go back to buy some more in Brisbane today/tomorrow.

2. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

?????

3. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

just stick salty water out in sun using evaporate makeshift, glad wrap over container, with a collector underneath, and a little rock in middle of glad wrap, then add a little purification tablet for paranoia sake

salty sea water is still a good source of water, just needs a little work before consumption

one 250ml cup of drinking water comes out of one typically sized 5 Litre pot (as in 'cooking pot').

4. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

W & F. Where do you buy the purification tablets? I guess at a disposal store!

I have two five thousand litres tanks just for emergencies . Can you put these tablets in the tanks to extend the life of the still water? Because they are always full, when it rains, does it stir the already stored water up when it enters the tank and before it overflows?

W&F Will appreciate any advice!

Regards Errol 43

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Purification tablets are for emergency use only in personal quantities (i.e. bottles/jugs of water) - the ones I tasted a few years ago made the water taste horrid but potable.

For tanks, you want filtration etc. There's some UV systems as well in the market for killing nasties in fixed supply situations.

6. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

army disposal

you will only be wasting money just to extend life... you are better off using one tablet (as I describe below) per litre of consumption at a time

you cant beat rain water mate... only use purification tablets for obvious filthy water (or water that contains mosquito larvae).

the tablets i have are only 'good' for 1 Litre (ass in one tablet per one litre). Surely there must be 'man size' out there somewhere ;)

7. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

as GP says you want filtration

8. Reeve

Reeve Member

From my understanding and training in outdoor ed, if you boiled water for 5 minutes you would get the same result??

9. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

boiling will kill bugs

but it won't remove toxins

only filtration will remove toxins.

10. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

There is a small hand held/ operated filtration system, from memory it was designed more for people who would be away from clean water for extended periods of time.

11. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Just bought some more tablets.

Brand: Medentech
    Product Name: Aquatabs
    Expiration Date: June 2016
    Active Ingredient: 3.5mg Troclosene Sodium (in each tablet)
    Quantity: 50 Tablets (one tablet per litre)
    Cost: $22 AUD ($0.45 per tablet approx)
    Where? "Camping Downunder Store", Salisbury, Brisbane, QLD, AUD

12. rick_au

rick_au Member

I think you might be talking about the battery powered UV filters. Not sure how effective they are but I think you would be right in saying its for use over a long period of time as you don't have to add any chemicals.

There is a range of different filters on this sitehttp://www.paddypallin.com.au/equipment/hiking-equipment/water-treatments.html

13. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

My flash on compact auto camera was too nutz for Aquatabs. meh it will do

[​IMG]

14. Franko

Franko Member Silver Stacker

Have been looking at the steripen sidewinder but also like the katadyn range seems to be better value then the tablets in the long run, unless you break it then you will wish you had the tablets.

15. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

on the subject of tank water & filters you need a 2 micron or smaller to remove guiardia & cryptospiridium 2 of the most common water borne bacteria guiardia is from birdshit on your roof when it goes into your tank & crypto is from dead animals in the water ( dead frog in your tank ) . Carbon filters are good

16. null

null Member

17. Jing

Jing Member Silver Stacker

http://www.lifesaverbottleaus.com/

bought myself one of these not long ago... filters out all viruses / bacteria

18. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

yep they would do the job .those ones are not cheap but well worth it in the right situation

19. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Just had a look on e bay.. Couldn't find any Australian distributors for the lifesaver bottle.

Help appreciated.

Regards Errol 43

20. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Get these kind of filters for individual drinks. Good for portability.

Charcoal = FTW filter.

So, this brings us back to Stacking Timber for heating/cooking, since we can even use the charcoal afterwards. Who doesn't like a MULTIkill purpose investment?