Want some fakes for a dummy safe

Discussion in 'Gold' started by JoeyJoeJoe, Mar 8, 2012.

1. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Great points GP. Just don't store your stuff at home.

2. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When I was a kid my parents' house was robbed. The wobbers made off with a bunch of fairly low value German silver ( I later found out nickel-silver plate or something ) leaving a stunning 18thC Austrian solid silver coffee service worth thousands...

They also decided to pinch my 1923 Weimar Republic 10 Million Deutschmark note & took it to the local NatWest bank to try to cash it in - and were promptly arrested... :D

3. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

That's hilarious VRS! (ahem ... if true ... hehe)

[Proves that hyperinflation should not be taken lightly and can be dangerous ...!]

4. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I TOTALLY agree with GP on this one.

I'd say leave some post-46 pre decimals in a non-conspicuous place, almost definitely invest in a cheap $50 IKEA glass cabinet, get a cheap treasure chest box and fill it full of post decimal, maybe a few trillion zimbabwe dollars, a thief would sooner take chances on a smash and grab on those than turn your house over for gold or silver.

Another idea which I saw here a while ago was leaving $100 in cash in a glass jar, therefore easy to see, and again putting the pressure on a thief to make a smash and grab, rather than go looking for gold.

Take it from a pikey - the best thing to distract a thief is easy money...

And my personal recommendation - don't store anything over 1oz gold at home - get a vault storage account or (non bank) deposit box somewhere! Whats a few hundred bucks per year for a decent box? The same price as a fireproof floor safe from Bunnings? I know which I'd sooner use!

NB: another option - get a storage unit at somewhere like Kennards Storage - you only need a teeny tiny cupboard space, then stick a safe in. It's swipecard and keycode to get in, plus the benefit of a 24 hour security guard, then another alarm at the unit, plus your safe's security once you've actually opened the storage unit - thats about 5 or 6 lines of defence - not to be scoffed at!

Hope thats some food for thought,

RD

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Dude, you seriously didn't hear about the ~$4m metals theft from Kennards safe deposit service in November? Dozens of lockers got opened in one setting. The guys got caught and a trial is scheduled, but it's just luck that they hadn't disposed of most of it whe they were caugh - the police seem to put a focus on ensuring proceeds of crime are recovered nowadays.

They've stopped advertising the service at the Ivanhoe facility where it happened.

6. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

My "excuse" - if i really needed one (although it should have sfa to do with AFP - is that I cannot afford the real thing and the lookalikes make me feel warm and fuzzy inside when i look at 'em and make me sleep better at night!

[I'd probably leave out SAVVIE at the end though :lol: ]

7. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

just buy tungsten and a spray can (gold) one. then d.i.y.

and wrap them in plastic, real good and bury them. :) one day someone will find it.

instead of 999 gold, you can special request 999 tungsten bar.

8. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

If you've got a serious volume of the stuff. Buy a paddock, fence it, keep some unfriendly puppies there. Seal and bury the shiny, lay some nice Sir Walter or some Green panic, whatever takes your fancy. Train the puppies to relieve themselves in their "special place". (Not really necessary, but a nice touch...) In years to come both the dirt and the contents will appreciate...

9. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Get yourself a dummy house as well, and find a family of "doubles" (people resembling yourselves in physical appearance) and set them up to live in the dummy house, which contains both the dummy safe & dummy gold.

This way, when the crooks strike, you'll have the last laugh mate, knowing that while you & your family (and your real safe & real gold) are safe in the real house, those stupid thieves are over at the dummy house terrorizing the inhabitants. Ha ha... you'll be a legend mate.

10. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

Better yet - get some dummy thieves.... :D

11. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Excellent idea! Because this way the real thieves will know not to bother, as the house has already been done over.

12. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Holy Shiite! Forget that!

Good job I'm with a vault, though for a while I was actually considering the Kennards option! Lucky escape or what?!

13. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Better than flim flam storage unit type options, but not without risk; eg.

Example 1: Police cut open 1000s of safety deposit boxes and seize EVERYTHING.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mos...fety-deposit-boxes-cost-taxpayer-fortune.html

Excerpt: "However, by talking to scores of box-holders, none of whom have spoken before, Live has uncovered a different version of Operation Rize, one that shows how the vast majority of those caught up in the raids were innocent. They have had their lives turned upside down over the past 17 months. Many have struggled to recoup their money and possessions, been forced into legal trench warfare with police lawyers and told they must prove how they came by the contents of their boxes."

Example 2: Government seizes contents of safety deposit boxes & then sells it off for a fraction of its real value.
    http://blog.mises.org/16433/california-seizing-property-from-safety-deposit-boxes/

As Mike Maloney loves to say, "If you don't hold it, you don't own it." And also Gerald Celente, (now) says the exact same thing about currency; ie: if you have savings in the bank, then you don't "own it". So get your $$ out & stick it in your mattress.