Today I found (while detecting)...

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by PrettyPrettyShinyShiny, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

fkn big :)

I already tossed it, so didn't think to take a snap with something else for scale (my bad). It was as long as your pinkie, even broken off and the base as big as a thumb nail. I don't think it was a conventional firearm round, looks almost like a 50mm round by the size of the thing!

Whilst there's areas of Sydney where the local suburban parks were taken over by the military during the war for stationing and training, this little beauty was found only about 6" down and I get the distinct feeling it was brought into the park by a kid or something as a souvenir and dropped rather than dropped during exercises. I've done a broader sweep around where I found the shell and this place comes up pretty dry other than this find.

Still, it's always interesting when you go metal detecting, you just never know what you're going to get. That thing rang up the same as a penny!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Learning your machine is half the fun.

My very first hunt was this :

[​IMG]

Very modest, but this was 24 hours after I got my first unit. :)

Keep working with it and experience will teach you a lot! I had to learn purely from experience, youtube and asking questions of other detectorists but since my particular unit is so 'old', it was hard to find people to talk to about it.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Probably a 7-8mm calibre - it's a belted centrefire rifle cartridge. Not sure of the exact calibre.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Yep, I had someone on another forum have the same theory about it.

How it ended up in a suburban park though... unfired like that... :/

5. goldpelican

Was probably dropped.

Sydney was much more sparse in the 1940s - I remember my grandfather had a neighbour in Peakhurst who used to zero the sights on a hunting rifle (probably an old 303) by setting a target up down the end of the street in the 1930s.

Different times.

6. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What detector are you using?

7. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

Sorry guys im sure everyone has asked this question on this thread but - what does a good metal detector cost, what is a good brand - are there specified ones tuned differently - or is it just about ground penetration?
    PM me if you have any replies

8. Eureka Moments

9. skipau

skipau Member Silver Stacker

I bought the entry level Minelab - X-terra 305. Looking forward to giving it its second run. Can't give any real feedback on it yet as still have no idea! :)

10. goldpelican

If the 305 is anywhere near the 705 in terms of functionality (Minelab is a bit like Apple, they incrementally release functionality in each model, they're generally not mind blowingly different) then it's a great machine for the price.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

The 705 is a lot more adaptable and has a lot more functionality. You really do get what you pay for concerning coin and relic machines when it comes to minelab. The 305 is two models above mine, 2 models below the 705. It's a good beginners' machine and excellent bang for buck to get you going.

The next step up from the 305 (once you've mastered it) would likely be the 705 or if the cashflow allows, the Sov GT or even the Etrac.

But to start with, the 305 is an excellent model to get you in the game and definitely my recommendation for anyone wanting to try detecting for coins & relics, but doesn't want to drop a large amount of cash straight up.

12. Eureka Moments

Yesterday one of my prospecting mates had a day off work, so he rang and asked if I wanted to go out for a look around. We decided to try a couple of places we hadnt been to before so had no idea what we might find.

The places we tried had very few target signals. The areas had been "done to death" by many prospectors and detectorists over the years. In 2 and a half hours of prospecting I only got 5 target signals.

Fortunately for me 3 of them were Gold nuggets.

[​IMG]

The biggest weighs 1.11 grams. The two "bridesmaids" weigh 0.30 and 0.25 grams.

13. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

14. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

Just Curious Ureka. What is the size of the largest nugget you have ever found? And what's it worth roughly?

15. Eureka Moments

My largest piece found is a gold/quartz combination that weighs 8.4 grams. The specific gravity of gold is around 7.4 times higher than quartz so there is more than 7 grams of gold in it.

Some people only hunt for large nuggets. This is the right thing to do where they are (still) present and the terrain and conditions allow. The areas I frequent generally only have small nuggets left, so that is what I chase.

A mate of mine has found 13 ounces of nuggets in the past 18 months, he also works full-time. His skill far outweighs mine. None are larger than 8 grams but getting a gram or 2 every time out can add up to a valuable stash.The average size of our finds is only around 0.15 grams, but we rarely come home empty handed.

Small, regular finds help your motivation and give you a reason to keep having a crack.

The "worth" of any of my finds is only relevant to me when I sell any of them. The buzz I get when I dig up a nugget of any size is priceless.

16. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

So what's up lately guys? Keep this thread going this is the best in a while!

17. Eureka Moments

Hasnt been the best conditions for gold hunting around here lately. Hot weather and lots of biting critters like mosquitos, flies and ants.

Dont know what the park and beach hunters have been doing. Most likely too busy doing other things?

How about you Sarge? Do you do any prospecting at all?

18. skipau

skipau Member Silver Stacker

question all... I wondered in regards to gloves and stuff what you are using?

I just have some kinda work gloves... but they aren't really going to save me from a needle or anything I don't think.... more so protection from ants and the likes.

I am still only a one hit wonder.. only having gone out once.. then bloody weeks stuck painting bathrooms and kicking out bad tenants! so I am looking forward to going for a run this weekend... after that I am into the valentines day and wedding anniversary the week after so no chance to go out then!

19. Eureka Moments

I used to work at a hospital. There were needle-proof gloves worn by some of the cleaners there. Cost well over $100. I have a high-power magnet stuck in the handle of my pick for picking up ferrous objects. Luckily theres no junkies where I prospect, but it pays to be careful.

Not such deadly critters in Vic. as other States. Bullants, centipedes, small spiders maybe a scorpian are the main worries.

Avagoodweekend....dont forget the Aerogard.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

For the park scene I use :

[​IMG]

http://www.helpmeclean.com.au/ansell_hyflex.htm

Less than $10 a pair from Coles and you'll get many hunts out of them.

Highly recommended if you're doing the suburban detecting scene