Today I found (while detecting)...

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by PrettyPrettyShinyShiny, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Feel the serenity.

It's not all about Gold and treasure. However I did find around 100 small nuggets in the gully shown in the first pic. :)

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Some people don't fill their holes...

[​IMG]

That's a Caterpillar 793 in the photo - 383,000kg.

3. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I can just imagine the prospector... "but the detector is stil screaming at me!"

[​IMG]

P.S. - GP - is yours the superpit?

4. goldpelican

5. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

6. Eureka Moments

[​IMG]

These 2 nuggets have been weathered into round balls by Mother Nature.

I took the foam padding out of a small display case and inserted a piece of cardboard with 2 small holes in it.

Now I have a puzzle which has provided a lot of entertainment to both myself and family and friends. Its a great party game to see who can get the balls in the holes the quickest. Particularly tricky when you have had a few drinks.

[​IMG]

And some people reckon Gold is a useless and inanimate object!? :)

7. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

Today while detecting on the beach... I found about 4 Bobby pins, a bit of an aluminium can and a sinker with two swivels and two fish hooks attached. The missus found a dollar coin..and she didn't even have a detector! Ha!

... I'm thinking to hit the park where the tables and chairs are.. Picked up some signals there.

8. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

did you mean aboat?

9. Eureka Moments

You win post of the day PPSS.

Ive spilled me can of JW reading your missus got the prize of find of the day. You poor bastard. :)

Its bad enough when someone detecting next to you gets a nice find and your right nearby. And your thinking "I was just about to do that spot. Bugger." But when youve got the rig and your doing the swing thing and your missus just goes and snatches a dollar of the surface is an image I can totally relate to.

You better get some winners next time out or she will be lording it over you. :)

10. Eureka Moments

Apart from that PPSS im rapt to hear your results. (got normal cap back on now).

Hows the snoop going? Are your finds very deep or mainly near the surface?

When I started out I dug all sorts of things for the first six months. I used to try and predict what an object would be based on the type of signal and its pitch. Different metals give different signal tone responses, but the shape and size also plays a large part as well. also the way an object is laying in a hole can create different to normal responses.

Keep plugging away. The more you go at it the more rewarding it can be. You and the missus sound like your having some fun.

Beach, sun and treasure = feel the serenity.

11. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

I had a giggle to here that you enjoyed my misses finding that dollar..damnit. I asked her if it was going in our 'treasure pile' and she said well it's not really treasure (i think she was alluding to the fact it was on the surface..and she wanted to spend it haha). We both pretty much agreed that anothing of value we would keep in our treasure pile indefinitely as it was the physical evidence of our labours searching. I think I'll get a little treasure chest to put the goodies in at some point.

Haha yeah all is going well. Last night I was 'snooping' along the grass near Port Kembla pool which is right next to the beach and the guy came out and politely told me he'd prefer if I didnt dig up the grass. I explained how I had dug the holes out as plugs and they fit back in nicely, but promised him I wouldn't dig any more. I have a feeling there was just a lot of nails, bottle caps and junk there as the holes I had dug were mainly those things (including chip wrappers)

The snoop is a pretty good little machine - especially for fast scanning of the beach. It's very light and at the beach you can quickly and easily dig up every target. The deepest I went was about 15-20cm when I dug up the match box car from under the grass/dirt. I thought that was a very cool find.

Still getting the hang of trying to discriminate.. but those foil tops from juice bottles show up as gold (highest setting on discrimination) and that's a pain because you start second guessing yourself.

I'm stuck between digging everything and being thorough (in parks, that is) and not wanting to dig so many holes (even though I cut them properly..they are still ever so noticeable)

12. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

Serenity indeed. I'll be going out tomorrow morning when I go back home. I'll post more results tomorrow. Hopefully I can find my decent camera and cord and get some decent photos up.

13. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looks like gold panda poo !! :)

14. Philski

Philski Member

My first real detector gold nugget find was eventually made into our wedding rings. Its a wonderful feeling finding it. in an old workings that looks just like Eureka Moments. Awesome hematite you get too. Mine was at Bell Mountain in Moina, Tas. a 22 oz nugget was the biggest in its day.

I lost 20% of my hearing with that detector too, I got a minelab XT1700 of a deaf guy down south with a boost button and hit a lump of iron. It sent me to my knees. An old pick head from the 1890's with a dumpy hammer on the back. A very good find regardless. But still deafening

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Went for a swing today - hit a couple parks.

[​IMG]
    2 x Penny & $24.43 in moderns

[​IMG]
    Junk trinket

[​IMG]
    Gun shell? Huge bugger :)

[​IMG]
    The REAL treasure from the hunt... ;)

Not a bad result on moderns, but I go out of my way to try and find the older stuff. Hit 3 different parks this arvo, but didn't have much luck unfortunately on finding a good pre-decimal hunting ground.

(Pro-tip : if you're swinging and DON'T find any 1c and 2c coins, chances are you're not going to find any earlier coppers or silvers either) :/

I'm still on the lookout for a new pre-decimal hunting pit! More research!!! ;)

16. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

...nice effort! I went out to Redhead beach and found a million bobby pins and trash as well as an old skeleton key and a cheap non-pm earring. :D

17. skipau

skipau Member Silver Stacker

nice haul ozpm!

18. skipau

skipau Member Silver Stacker

ok.. took my new baby for a try yesterday afternoon along small local beach.. well actually first I hit up the back yard to give it a bit of test... then it was off to the beach..

still trying to work it out.. but we did dig up a couple of things! 22 cents! woo hoo!

Have a LOT to learn that is for sure...

[​IMG]

19. goldpelican

auspm, that casing looks like it has an unfired primer in it - should be safe but don't go tossing it in any fires.

What are the dimensions on it?

20. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Some people will tell ya to learn your machine and only dig what sounds good but there are those (like me) that dig up everything, regardless of how it sounds. I have got allot of good stuff digging what my mates dismissed as junk.

On the bright side, looks like you dug up some copper - the poor mans silver :)