to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by hellrage, Feb 14, 2011.

1. hellrage

hellrage New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm interested to stack more gold/silver this week since i just got my pay. But I'm not sure if it the right time to buy coz as you may know the price is sky-rocketing. I would like ask your pro opinion about this :)

A) Should I just wait until the price goes down a little bit ?
    B) I should just go and keep stacking it monthly on regular basis (u know like saving 60% of your income n stuff) , since all PM will go up anyway ? Coz I dont wanna miss the train.

What u guys usually do when the PMs are all in this trend ?

Thanxs in advance guys :)

2. Welcome_Stranger

Welcome_Stranger New Member

....Just keep buying - change that fiat out every week/fortnight/month and it will average out.

Always remember that you are swapping out currency for money - helps with the emotional issues of parting with fiat at the higher end.

ws

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm long on physical and my philosiphy on stacking is to cost average.

My stack is very small (under 200oz) as I don't have a lot of cash to buy, but I don't try and buy the dips. Actually getting a stack under the wings is more important, so I buy what I can afford when I can afford it.

So to me, any time I have paper in hand and a dealer wishes to buy it with money, I'll take what I can get.

See what I did there? ;)

4. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

If you're worried - buy half this week and half in a fortnight's time. That way if it goes down you win a bit and if it goes up you only lose a bit!

malachii

5. PerthStack

PerthStack Member

Buy now. And buy bars over coins, there is 15% savings right there.

6. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hard to give advice,

Just a note, I help my GF buy 1 month ago. The price is the same as today. You can never time the market. But the thing is the bars have only come in this week.

So if you place an order now, it will take at least 1 month to obtain or longer.

You make the call, do you think it will be readily available to buy if its at $25? At some stage the spot price will detach from the physical.

What I don't understand is, why aren't the refiners increasing the price? Last week on KWN a Swiss bank solicited PAMP and asked to buy out all their 1kg bars ongoing. If demand is that strong and I am a refiner I would start increasing premiums. You either choose to buy it or you don't.

Anyway, look at Steves Mouse coins deal for $1775 (50 coins). I think this is a good buy and a start for your stack.

Slam

7. bungo

bungo Member

I think that tiny sentence beautifully encapsulates why I stack.

Those 22 words better explain my philosophy than pages and pages of justifications elsewhere.

Nice one Auspm, you pithy wordsmith!

8. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My philosophy as well!

The description below describes one of the first hurdles for a newbie stacker.

"The Online Obsessive"
    Fixated by price fluctuations, the online obsessive reaches for the mouse with a quivering hand. Good news see them hugging their screen, bad news causes them to hit refresh, refresh, refresh.
    Triumph and tragedy are always only a click away.
    How do you look past the screen to see the bigger picture?

9. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

This describes me very well. I used to track the price obsessively over a 24-hour period getting up at odd hours just to check on the price one more time. Not so much anymore but still hoping to get to the point where I can decide to buy and just buy it instead of waiting and waiting for the right price.

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I love intelligencer's words of wisdom - Look at the signal, not the noise.

Buy on dips if you can, but the primary goal is to get a position.

11. Blame_Game

Blame_Game New Member

If you can afford to part with your money long term then buy.

If you are buying and might need the fiat in the short term (few months) then hold off as it is always imprtant to have some cash in your pocket too. Silver is volatile and over afew month cycle and there is always a chance the value of does diminsh.

12. Free market

Free market New Member

Not an expert or pro.

What is going to be your holding period?

Are you wanting to flip for a small profit or hold longer term to hedge fiat holdings, take advantage of longer term gains? etc...
    You need to know the answers to these questions. Then you won't have to ask when to buy.

13. 2ds

2ds New Member

Slightly different question along the same lines, would you guys buy gold or silver at the moment, gold has dipped and is sitting at about 1350 off it's 1400 high about a month and a half? ago.

Silver is currently spiking past it's price of ~30 about a month and a half ago.

Where do you think the smart money is at this point in time?

14. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you can't decide, spend half your allotted money now, and save the other half for next week. That way you only lose half if it goes down, and you can the still buy some at the lower price, and if it goes up you make some profit.

15. Blame_Game

Blame_Game New Member

Your precious metals ratio should be consistent with your age. That is.......your gold percentage should be equal to how old you are. If you are 25 then 25% gold 75% silver. If your 60 then invest 60% in gold and 40% in silver.

Silver is always more speculative then gold and the younger you are the more you can tolerate speculation.

I think this is the answer you would be looking for.

16. hellrage

hellrage New Member

Thanxs for the input guys, well i guess i should buy the PMs now rather than just wait and hoping for the price to come down. Well I'm looking for long term investment i suppose wait until my PMs worth a truck load of money :p i guess

cheers :)

17. Trichter

Trichter Member

My advice, for what it's worth, is to look a little harder for bargains if you feel unsure about buying at/near record highs. Psychologically it is very comforting if you buy below spot and you only need to look in the trading area of SS and read a few stories to see that it is possible, though you do often have to be a bit lucky too. Find your inner hunter.

18. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

I really love this way of thinking regards ratios of GOLD VS SILVER, but only applies til your 70 !!!

19. lukeaar

lukeaar New Member

Weights or $ value?

20. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

I think, this is meant to be $ value.

but than again look at this.

lets say 30% Au and 70% Ag - 3 oz of gold and 7 oz of silver ( or 6 oz Au and 14 oz Ag )!!! - you would be low silver and a very strange set up imo

but when measured in $ value lets say $3k Gold ( around 2.2 oz gold ) and $7k Silver around
    228 oz silver.

so a stack of 2.2 oz of gold and 228 oz of silver sounds about right.

Thus always the ratio in spot $ value.

In fact when one is starting out with any regular type of buying in any amount of money.
    Than id recommend purchases of 1/2 oz silver coins and 1 oz silver coins, till one reaches lets say 45 oz of silver ( 1oz gold equivalent ), at that stage you sell lets say 20% of your silver stack, and buy a corresponding gold coin around 0.2 oz. and you still continue to buy the silver coins due to lower prices and higher accessability and you keep doing this all along ( whilst keeping an eye on the GSR ratio and when you enter territory of at least 200 oz silver value equivalent than,
    you can start playing the GSR ratio with swaps. )

Eventually you introduce, palladium and platinum into your stack.
    And all along you are buying silver coins.