to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by hellrage, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Me.... I just buy, but with Looong term in mind, I have been going silly with my disposable paper currency (well digital currency really, dont even bother going to the hole in the wall) in the past few weeks.

Just with the GSR in mind , is Silver ever likely to again fall back to a ratio of less than current or recent times ? And if so why ? I may be wrong but for a limited amount of paper to invest would you not be better off putting it into silver at this moment in time rather than gold ?

I have had a bit of luck recently buying Silver coins with a low premium in regards to what some people are willing to pay for them and have been sort of splitting my money into Silver by weight/premium .

IE the most bang for my buck with whatever it is .999 for the closest to spot I can get to build my stackand then on the other hand laying out extra for the pretty little things that people seem to be willing to pay ridiculous premiums for as they become scarce over short lengths of time with limited mints.

Half oz bush baby kangaroos, Tassie tigers and the like. I personally dont get it or them , I mean some of them are very eyecatching but my mind just see's them as potential oz's of silver in six mths time or so and if silver go's up so does their value.

A kilo of silver right now for close to spot or a kilo of gold....which one would be the best investment over the next five years?

2. Aengrod

Aengrod Member

Kilo of gold ok, but for the same price you'll get 1429 oz of silver. Now, which one would be the best investment? A kilo of gold or 1429 oz of silver?
    Either that or kilo and a bit of silver vs oz of gold.

3. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

You should stack your own bodyweight in silver. Then stack your bodyweight in gold. Then stack your bodyweight in Platinum.

Then after all that, eat merrily so you gain weight and add to your 3 stacks.

But dont develop anorexia.....

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 1429 Order of Golden Fleece established in Austria-Hungary and Spain + more.

1429 / 31 = 45.06 . Historical ratio of GSR = 15 so that leaves about 30 points so 30x30 or there abouts = 900x1429= 1286100 .... Whishfull thinking or ......

5. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

In Silver I think.

I can't understand why people would be swapping silver for gold at this stage. Silver is still seriously undervalued by any measure and gold is not far off it's high.

While a lower GSR makes it more favourable to swap, I cant see why that makes it the smart thing to do. A dropping GSR only confirms that my decision to buy silver over gold was correct.

I suppose if you are holding your PM's indefinitely then it makes sense to trade the GSR but that's not me.

Once the GSR gets to about 25 I'll probably be out of PM's altogether.

C

6. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The problem I have with the historical GSR of 15 or 16 is for much of that time the world was on bimetallic standards - silver was genuinely a monetary metal. Even England used to operate on a silver standard. Once silver was demonetized and became an industrial commodity, as far as I view it, the historical GSR is just that - historical - not some utopian number to aim for. If everything was priced strictly according to it's ratio of frequency in nature, oil would be a LOT cheaper :)

7. Guest

Guest Guest

More than just this, it was based on the ratio of the metals occurring naturally in the ground which is terrific in theory, except we're destroying silver through industry and military endeavours every hour, every day in record breaking numbers every year we move ahead.

With over 2000 listed patents for silver use in industry, it's now the most widely used industrial commodity in the world today behind oil.

There's less than 10% of the silver stockpiles left above ground than there were even 10 years ago!

If were we to revalue based on the rationale behind the historic ratios alone, Silver would actually be worth MORE than gold now based on current supply.

Yet you can still buy the stuff today for LESS than it cost at it's all time peak 30 years ago, not even inflation adjusted.

So go figure that one out. ;)