Think these are fake

Discussion in 'Silver' started by No1joey, Jan 8, 2012.

1. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

I'm sorry joey, you're 100% wrong on understanding this specific gravity thing.

If you cut the bar in half then yes, your displacement mass will be half, but so will be the half bar that you are weighing, hence the ratio will be the same.

if you divide the bar's mass by its water displacement mass you will get the exact same answer if you then cut the bar in half and find that it displaces half as much water.

X divided by Y will give you the same answer as X/2 divided by Y/2.

2. KungfuPanda

KungfuPanda New Member

I have been watching this thread since it first posted. When I woke this morning I decided to test some of the bars I got from ebay and sure enough they were fake.

I also received two warnings from ebay members, noting your location I'm guessing one was you silvstack.. thanks. The other was probably another caring SS member.. thanks also.

I have been refunded in full for my purchase by the seller sarbear-999 who it appears may have been scammed buying a bulk lot of themselves.

Sarbear-999 has asked me to let the SS forum know that they will refund any purchase of fake silver made from them and wants to assure members that they are also a victim not a scam artist.

------------------
    Disclaimer: I do not personally know sarbear-999 and have no connection with them outside this single online transaction.

3. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Can someone confirm how much a legitimate bar weights?

0.8 grams light is a huge difference to what it should be. 500oz worth at -0.8g is 400g underweight and that 400g is currently worth about $365. That's a reasonable about to be short-changed by if the legit bars are in fact underweight.

4. silverminer

silverminer New Member

I think the error of +- 1% is tolerable (Read somewhere, i can't remember)
    But on Big bars it must be +- 0.01% (assumption)

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

If you contact CK, it's a simple matter of dropping it into the post and he can get it XRF tested with a readout of the exact composition and mail it back.

6. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

thankfully I only have legal tender coins in my stack and no bars.... seems bars are a risky buy.

7. euphoria

euphoria New Member

As with anything, depends where you buy. Buy from reputable dealers you should be fine. I have never bought from Ebay and i would think more than twice about buying from there after this. HGE and mills silver I can deal with and know how to avoid, very convincing fakes that fool the seller is a different story.

8. No1joey

No1joey Member Silver Stacker

I didn't purchase it directly from BB rather was the second owner after.

9. banjo

banjo Member

I had 2 today tested and fake the same brand. sorry

10. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

is this true? My rounds all ping. A scottsdale bar pinged but a morgan 1oz bar didnt ping?

Anyone else with real silver bars that dont give you that ping love

11. No1joey

All bars/coins ping even my 10 oz bars.

But I had a fake that pinged well and weighed 31.3 so go figure.

Specific gravity test, acid test and XRF machine only 3 ways now, fakes are getting better

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I have a Maple that doesn't ping.

Mind you it's bent (thanks SS member who sent it in as a membership fee :p ).

13. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Yeah but when I go to sell, I want the option of offloading on ebay if I can get better prices there than elsewhere. But if bars become synonymous with being fake, then it might be difficult to move legit bars on ebay whereas lunars/kooks etc will still be trusted as legit.

14. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

This is a pretty good point - if many people such as those here are all taking profits just before the bull peaks (ie ideal scenario) then is it possible that "routine avenues" (ie selling back to the dealer you bought from or on this forum) might not be easy to do or simply unavailable?

What ARE some of everyone's plans for selling when there is a buying frenzy? Would dealers still be keen to buy? Presumably, if they can see a quick turnaround before the bubble bursts. And also presumably, forums such as this will be full of people looking for a good deal.

I for one don't need to hold out for maximum price - far rather leave some perceived money on the table for an easy sale process (ie sell at spot).

Perhaps we can plan to have a "SilverStackers Certificate Of Authenticity" available for purchase once testing has validated our stock and promote this as added value over and above the inherent authenticity of the coin or bar?

15. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...unterfeit-perth-mint-2012-silver-dragons.html

What if PM coins become synonymous with being fake?

16. silverminer

silverminer New Member

Or when you buy from a reputed or experienced SS member

Nice idea by the way :)

17. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:

18. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

PM coins have much greater detail than your average bar so it's harder to fake properly.

If it was so easy to fake coins 100% properly, the 1930 penny would be a higher priority than silver bars or perth mint coins.

You can read the usual responses from Panda fans about fake coins... they can be applied across to perth mint coins as well.

19. Kid A

Kid A New Member

This kinda reassures me with a couple of pieces of my silver.

20. No1joey

I've returned a fake maple today and two pan american bars yesterday to reputable ebayers who didn't know they were fake. You should insist on seeing test results of bullion before buying to avoid the hassle.
    I'm still not convinced the Scottsdale I have is fake, a retest of SG could show 10.2/10.3, scales could be a little off. N e way the seller has agreed to a buy back which I'm happy to as I already have a couple of Scottsdales. I want to get a couple of Austrian philharmonics, some legit pan ams, then prob just put the rest into 10 oz southern cross stackers.

On Johnson mattheys site it says clearly with their 1000oz bars you could receive an actual weight of 970-1030 oz. Goes to show the larger the bar the larger the room for error, which is why the Scottsdale being .8 of a g off isn't conclusive to me, time will tell tho