The Money for Nothing Club

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Eureka Moments, Jun 22, 2014.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Yeah i know what you mean its the same in most businesses the wageslave couldnt give a rats about anything other than payday.
    Ive seen people deliberately over order so they could take the excess home . The purchasing is crucial for most businesses . I wouldnt like to purchase perishables . I guess thats what the "special of the day" is for eh ?

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

SS

I would like to know your opinion of Limasol thanks.

OC

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

That's a trade secret :lol:

4. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Look there are some great home cooks, no doubt. My family has lots and lots of them. My Mum can make awesome food and I'm sure there are many Mums, Dads and other family members that can cook. And yes there are plenty of bad chefs out there, just like bad people in your own professions from plumbing to accountants etc .

However this thread demonstrates exactly what I am speaking about.

No one knows my experience, the place I've worked from fine dining to banqueting for over 1000 people to 5 star hotels etc. And yet people are talking from the arm chair and the keyboard bandits are at it again. Would people talk like this if it were their car or heart surgery, I don't think so.

Can Nana cook for 300 covers by herself with a la carte and room service in a 5 star establishment and do all the mise en place for the following day. You know I can roast coffee, select beans, know the correct heat, the difference between first and second crack, how long to cool, oxidisation etc. From tempering chocolate to making gelato to fileting fish, breaking down meat to cooking perfect dishes. I can do latte art and that's not even the tip of the iceberg*.

The only thing that'd I agree with is that running a place and cooking are absolutely different skills, I know lots of top chefs that don't know anything about running a place or service. They don't know how to do the accounts. Some go bust, some manage to find someone to do it. I'll tell you this, a chef and a business person can do well together but I've seen the business person rob the chef out of money.

So yes business people can run an establishment but the vast majority of places especially small places just serve crap. They order in their caramel slices and cakes and muffins etc. Do a 1 day or less barista course and think they know it all because they can do the sums on food cost. (palm to forehead).

I'm passionate about this area, sure I was born into it many decades ago. I grew up holding a knife and standing on milk crates cooking.

EDIT
    I should add. That if you are a business person and find a good chef and get busy then reward that chef and make it worth their while. There are plenty of crap chefs too. I happen not to include myself in that category.

I've been offered jobs that I've knocked back and left cooking full time. I still help out and run the show occasionally but only when required. I called that my celebrity tour de force as I just walking in and get the job done. Service in a busy place is crazy. Unless you've done it, then it can be difficult to get it.

5. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Speaking of clubs, this is how I imagined Silver Stackers before I joined:

[​IMG]

But it turned out to be more like this:

[​IMG]

6. Miloman

Sometimes it's like this...
    [​IMG]

:lol:

7. SpacePete

8. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Pictured us as elitist snobs huh?

Well perhaps, if you visited in 2011 when we were smarter than the average person and making mountains of dosh on a daily basis.

These days picture number 3 is all you're getting. Drink and fight the pain away.

9. Miloman

[​IMG]

With silver still low, this is me...

[​IMG]

I consider us all lucky if you have the opportunity to add to your stack!

10. SpacePete

Fortunately I am a big fan of drinking the pain away so it all turned out better than expected :)

11. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

:lol:
    Being serious for a sec...
    It's a good place to be now, but just wait until people are making money again. That is when you realize how fantastic this place is.
    I like to think (no matter what people argue about) that ultimately we're all here because we like metal, it's only when we're on a bull run however that you get perfect harmony amongst everyone.

Jokes and smiles all round then.

12. renovator

Can you make humble pie :lol:

13. Miloman

That's easy to make. There are plenty of people far smart and better than me. I know I am a sinner and far from perfect. Could you say the same? :/

14. renovator

A sinner ?....oh dear .I could but i wont :p: