The gradual death of semi-numi silver coin premiums

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, May 10, 2016.

1. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

Well,
    Looks like I have to postpone my purchases of semi-numiz as there are some people who are old enough to sell them at discount (for every seller there swas a buyer) :)

P.s. What are the current premiums percentage wise and how do they compare to previous years?

2. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

sell me a good old panda coins with low premium. I will view it as treasure rather than junk. no maple and others

3. Flyinfree

Flyinfree Well-Known Member

I would recommend you to get them from Alibaba.com :)

4. andrewlee10

Silver plated and aluminium sell as silver price lol.

5. innerpath

innerpath Active Member Silver Stacker

Stamps are made of Paper. Garbage bins are full of paper

Phonecards are made of Plastic. Recycle Bins are full of plastic

Bullion Coins are made of Precious Metals. Precious Metals are in Fort Knox.... maybe

6. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't see anything out of the ordinary really. Semi numis are still the best way to invest in my opinion (kooks, pandas, lunars this side of the world at least).

lack of buyers when silver is doing nothing naturally pushes the premiums down, but they go back up when the buyers do.

7. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

yes, kooks, pandas, lunars are the only way to go, in my humble opinion. ESPECIALLY if you can get them at a low premium. They are a lot more stable when spot takes a dive. These actually go up in value. Forget the blobs and rounds. Sure there is a rare exception that goes to the moon...but more times than not, these are spot price based.

8. picturefun

picturefun Member

Many honest Chinese coin dealers selling on Taobao!

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1 Lunars are doing well and some of the coins have appreciated extremely well. Pick any size in the Lunar range for reasonable value.

Having said that markets change when coin quality drops or folk get the feeling that their favourite mint are producing too many coins in packaging that doesn't meet consumer expectations.

Perth get a few ticks from me this year; their Koala's are now a limited mintage and the 2016 Kookaburra is a very good design.

10. andrewlee10

Please enlighten me those Chinese coin dealers selling 1 oz official and real silver bullion panda at Taobao which price is lower than USA bullion dealers like jmbullion and so on.

11. andrewlee10

Kooks design always look good.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Until they re-struck them...then folk lost confidence but...we fixed that aye? New kooks are cool. :D

13. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Based on the sale prices I see on eBay, it appears to me that folks haven't lost confidence in the restrikes. LOL. Prices I see at dealers for the restruck kooks, it appears to me that folks haven't lost confidence. LOL. The early year kooks 1992 - 2008 are doing just fine. LOL. Thank you very much. LOL.

14. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I'd argue this -- but then again, I don't want even more people playing in this space. I'm greedy & selfish like that.. ;)

Yes, please stick to the popular modern mainstream semi-numi coins, people!

Just cross your fingers they don't spot up.. :p

I know some don't want to hear this, but you can make -- and lose -- $$ in all sorts of ways. I'm talking about real-life individuals' net proceeds, after any & all related fees & costs.. Not some inflated Apmex regular selling prices.

And just as there are generic, semi-numi & numi coins out there, there are also generic, semi-numi and yes, even numi *bars & rounds* out there, as well.

With all due respect, I don't think some people realize just how big this PM world truly is, with all kinds of crazy & various things going on in all kinds of places both visible & not-so-visible..

15. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

curious with your last sentence, can you quantify, are you including people that have a gold ring?
    I personally don't think PM collecting is that big, let's compare it to groups that collect comics, just like pm some people have a few, some are into it seriously and have a huge collection but it's only a tiny portion of the population.

16. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

The words like manipulation or cartel are thrown about in relation to PMs but that is *nothing* compared to art dealers. Pump and dump is the art world and when a few major dealers have bought up works and are ready to prime the market they let the big spenders in first an out first and the small fry get burnt.

There are no rules in the art world, no regulations whatsoever.

http://fortune.com/2015/09/24/art-fakes-lawsuits/
    "In the high-stakes art world, a fear of lawsuits is putting a muzzle on authenticators. "

www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/0407/088.html
    Pump And Dump
    "Creating that next hot artist is an "idiot's game," says Liang Changsheng, art director of the Contemporary Artwork Auction firm in Beijing. "First get critics to write about him," he says. (The critics are paid by artists, auction houses and galleries for this service.) "Then organize exhibitions to introduce his work." (That's paid for, too, even at the most prestigious national museums.) "Then you can put the work in auction with an establishing price and buy it back yourself in order to set an example for the public. Of course it would be better if some other bidders join in.""

http://qz.com/103091/high-end-art-is-one-of-the-most-manipulated-markets-in-the-world/
    High-end art is one of the most manipulated markets in the world
    "To understand why, you must first understand the economics of art galleries in America and Europe. Almost all primary art salesart bought from the artist as opposed to another collectoroccurs through art galleries. Galleries set taste and pricessets is actually an understatement. Galleries manipulate prices to an extent that would be illegal in most industries."

My personal take after 30 years in buying and selling art is this. Behind the galleries are the dealers. If you want to be able to get the return on your own pieces you want....get to know them, indeed even a 'friendly' shill bidder for them at the big stakes auctions.

The auction houses are as bad as the dealers and even more desperate.

*Never* pay a lot of money or art unless you personally want it to keep forever and always assume it is worthless in the market.

That said. If you know dealers are buying up stock....you can be fairly certain they will pump it when the time is right. See basquiat. See Warhol believe it - no one gave a toss what he was painting in the 80s. You think dealers don't pump junk and make brands?

When some turkey walks in to buy art they are read and taken, maybe even with a a few primers that do actually appreciate....until suddenly they are left holding.

Don't even dream of putting serious money in art until you have been watching how the major dealers operate and what their agents are buying for years and then follow their lead. There can be a 15-20 year pause before the pump and 40 years to the dump.

But art is the most manipulated criminal and fraudulent market on the planet. It makes PMs look like the pinnacle of honesty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-pity-credulous-saps-spent-fortunes-tosh.html
    At last, the real shark is exposed: As prices for Damien Hirst's works plummet, pity the credulous saps who spent fortunes on his tosh

http://www.wsj.com/articles/betting-on-a-hirst-comeback-1442513594
    Betting on a Damien Hirst Comeback
    Efforts by powerful brokers to buy up artist Damien Hirst's work offer a real-time glimpse into the maneuverings that influence art-market prices.

There are artists that come along...very rare....very very rare that a very broad spectrum of the public genuinely like, are the first to do something and establish a place in history for some reason. It's nice to own them.....but don't buy once the papers have mentioned their names....the dealers have already begun their manipulation.

17. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I'm talking about the vast amount of variety (of coins, bars, rounds, medals, etc.) out there, produced & still surviving after all these years, decades, centuries.

It's a "stupid" number, really..

18. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd say in some extent yes but have a look here(which says no):http://www.perthbullion.com/shop/listings/back-dated-perth-mint-bullion/

19. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Premiums are not dead. However, as is the case with most collectible things once it becomes "collectible" the waters become much more treacherous to navigate. What were the winners of years gone by will not be the winners going forward. My personal opinion is not that the market is dead but the market is changing and evolving away from the ways of the past. Markets get saturated...even oversaturated as dealers rush in to capitalize on trends. As a couple of examples...There are 65 2003 NGC MS70 Kookaburras and there are surely 1000s of MS70 2016 Kookaburras. Classic Lunar Series 1 coins were not so popular at first with reasonable populations and have appreciated nicely....fast forward to series 2 and there are varieties out the whazoo and multiple competing series from other mints. Or look more recently the Choice Mint's Odin....Very original nice coin with a unique design........now we have Odin's coming out of our ears. One key in any collectible market is to recognize the trends early both in buying and selling. I can't emphasize enough the importance of an exit strategy if one wants to maximize returns.

20. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good, to much rubbish