Storing Silver at home

Discussion in 'Silver' started by armenikumz, Jun 26, 2012.

1. armenikumz

armenikumz New Member

Hey guys,

I want to store silver physically.
    I am wondering what kind of container, air tight zip bag etc i need to use to store silver for a very long time, and to prevent it from tarnishing.

-A

2. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In an airtight container place oxygen absorbent packets with your silver. This will prevent tarnish. The packets I have contain metal filings and water. The filings rust till all oxygen is absorbed, when there is no more oxygen the rust/oxidation cannot continue.

3. psujeepguy

psujeepguy New Member

I was also wondering how everyone stores their stacks/coins as well.

1oz of tarnished silver is worth the same as 1oz of shiny silver

4. CDNstacker

CDNstacker New Member

In my desk drawer lol.....but i tend to move it around now and then.

5. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

i use the airtight capsules for any coins i do not want to tone. Some coins i don't mind a bit of toning.

for my silver bullion world coins like ASE's, Maples, Libertads, Panda's ect i put them in the single airtights then into clear tubes that hold the airtights.

20 airtights to a tube.

i think lighthouse is another brand that makes them and sells online.

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I use takeaway containers, you need to fill them before they are stacked on top of each other or they collapse.

I have some coins in capsules, it slows down tarnishing but does not prevent it completely, many of my coins from the 90s are tarnished even though they were factory sealed in the capsules. It is not a big deal.

I have the glad bag ziplocks, I am not convinced that they do not leak eventually but they are handy but don't stack.

Capsules are an additional expense, they don't stack that well either. they do prevent the coins getting scratched or fingerprints so they are good for that. I only use them for coins I am going to give as gifts or for ones with high premiums, in which case they usually come with capsules anyway.

One member vacuum seals them in bags, good for long term storage but a pain if you just need to get one out.

7. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

Hi armenikumz,

do you know there is a clever "search" tab kindly positioned at the top of the page where you'll find this topic has been discussed in detail over past years (I know we have covered this before in detail). Don't mean to be rude as I know all of us need to learn and it's a great site to learn things however, try seek out the answers from the search bar first and then you'll discover so much rather than waiting for replies :p

8. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

I have de-humidifiers in all my safes, these are reset the first saturday every month to keep them at their best for absorbency, I just use the silica bag with indicator type as shown here

http://www.pingi.com.au/pingixl.html

once I have other things working I will be getting 12VDC dehumidifiers

9. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. Jislizard

11. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We use these .30 calliber ammo boxes
    they have a full rubber o'ring sealing the top making it airtight, and we put a rechargable hydrosorb dehumidifier in aswell.

[​IMG]

these monovaults are expensive at about $80ea but good for stashing gold ect
    they seal tight and then you put another top on for burial.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

nice Colt 1911 in that second one :p

I have a source that has currently got quite a few pelican cases, I am debating about getting a couple and using those

13. Jislizard

Looks like a land mine!

Bunnings does some hard plastic, o-ringed, foam filled cases, you can put an egg in one and drop it from a hieght onto hard ground and the egg is fine, so is the case. They come in different sizes but are also expensive.

They are stackable though.

14. willrocks

I purchased some ex Army ammo boxes at a local market for $10. They're metal and have a rubber seal around the lid, and an over-centered latch. They seem water resistant. I was planning on using them for tool boxes, but they could be perfect for silver too. If you put silver in an enclosed metal case, discriminating metal detectors won't pick up the non-ferrous contents, they'll only show as iron.

15. Jislizard

Metal detectorists seem to like digging up anything metal, the bigger the better.

Most guides I have read (sad but true) recommend minimising the detectorable surface area by using pipes burried vertically so only the top diameter is visible. Having them made of plastic decreases the visibility and also handy for not rusting if in the ground for a long time.

Also screw off tops mean you can get to the contents without having to dig the whole thing up.

We have old ammo boxes and they make excellent tool boxes for spanners etc.

16. willrocks

I was thinking if someone knew you had a stash buried, they'd most likely be trying to detect non-ferrous metals (gold or silver). In which case a metal container would stop them. Also scattering scrap metal (cheap coins, copper, aluminum, nails, ball-bearings) all over the place would slow them down a lot.

17. Jislizard

Scattering decoys is always recommended in every guide.

I know the high end metal detectors can discriminate but the cheap ones just beep! Not sure at what price point the discriminating starts at as I don't have one (Yet!)

And governments will be using ground penetrating equipment looking for disturbed soil, they are also on the taxpayers' dime so they can afford to spend a week or two looking.

So it really depends on who you are hiding it from and how long you are going to keep it underground for.

18. willrocks

19. Jislizard

60 is very cheap, I am glad I waited, I was looking at a $6500 one, looking being the operative word, all that seemed to do was beep as well!

I am sure travel restrictions will come about before they start digging up back gardens looking for your stash. Although I do remember reading that one of the 'rights' Australians have is the right to free movement across the states.

Tarnish will be the least of your worries then!

I am thinking that hiding indoors is prefereable, lots of noise to upset detectors and you can access it in privacy. And it won't get so wet.

20. armenikumz

armenikumz New Member

thanks for all the help guys, massive help!!!