Stacking 5 ounce America the beautiful coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Jkenosh, May 8, 2014.

1. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

^ Dude, that was the best price I ever saw from a dealer for an ATB bullion coin...wow! No wonder they yanked the sale price quickly...might have been a loss leader product to induce more sales or a mistake.

3. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Currently premium about $1 more/oz in quantities of 20 or more. They have 91 left and that is why they raised the price. As the quantity declines, the premium increases.

4. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

They've been a great buy at that price. Picked up a tube of the white mountains around the same price a couple weeks ago

5. mmissinglink

It just came in today...forgive my rather less than exceptional picture taking skills but the new America The Beautiful Coin is yet another, just like the rest of the series, which looks much better in real life than in amateur photos like mine and way better than the illustrations on the US Mint website.

[​IMG]

6. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Beautiful. Could have done without the hiker though

7. mmissinglink

I've never been to Shenandoah and so I don't know if it's like a hiker's paradise or something. Personally, I'd rather see wildlife depicted on coins which feature national parks and such. Nonetheless, the design of the ATB's are terrific overall. I love how there's like a bezel which frames the center main artistic portion of the coin. Lots or maybe even most coin designs don't have this bezel.

8. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I bought it because of the hiker. Always wanted a nice coin that depicted hiking. I believe part of the Apalachian Trail goes through Shenandoah.

9. TomD

TomD Member

Here's my try at the Shenandoah coin in uncirculated. The bead blasted finish on this version of the coin makes it hard to do justice.

With this program stretching out to over 12 years (50 states @ 4/year), I'll bet that some of the earlier coins are gonna get pretty valuable in a few years.

[​IMG]ATB Shenandoah by TomD77, on Flickr

10. mmissinglink

Agreed TomD. In fact, some of the coins in this series are already fetching high premiums, especially if they grade 69 or 70. This will make for an amazing set to pass down to the kids if I can complete the entire set.

11. Bit Baron

Bit Baron Member

TomD, that's a great photo of the Shenandoah coin.

12. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

I've been collecting the bullion version as I feel they are the better buy. I preorder and get first releases. All my bullion coins are beautiful and defect free. The vapor blasted P collector versions are nice also. Buy either and enjoy them, you'll make money by accident

13. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

14. itrainsdogsandcats

itrainsdogsandcats New Member

15. mmissinglink

@ iluvbeanz great photo! The dimensionality of this coin really jumps out!

@ itrainsdogsandcats...very nice collection!

16. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

17. mmissinglink

@ ScottyRS, As a good teacher will tell you, there are no dumb questions. On the link you provided, those are the bullion versions....and yes, they are priced to sell. Thanks for sharing the link. Both versions are "ATB" the difference is if it is listed accurately, the collector version would have the year followed by "P" indicating the mint mark being present on only the collector coin.

Visually, the 2 types are easily identified from each other because the collector "P" version appears to have a rather striking egg shell like finish and should come in a plastic capsule with the OGP (Original Government Packaging). The bullion coin doesn't even come in a plastic capsule though some dealers will put them in an after market capsule for looks/protection.

Both versions are sought after by buyers though the bullion version maybe more so by stackers than by collectors.

One day I hope to complete my collection of the "P" version. I have no interest at this time for having a complete collection of the bullion coins and that is mainly because I have limited funds and because I believe that a complete set of the "P" version will some day be worth a very nice tidy sum.

If you are interested in the collector version, you might want to private message one of the USA members to work out a payment system and have these coins put on subscription for you...that will save you the most money and ensure you get every issue.

18. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

I would love to be put on subscription if anyone is willing to help me? Unsure who to PM so i'll just leave it open here :)

Thanks for taking the time to take all that. It's really helpful! I've got so many coins that I wish to collect. My bank is going to be rather busy for the next few years!

19. mmissinglink

@ ScottyRS, I think, but my recollection may be wrong, USA member BeHereNow has offered out of country SS members a subscription (for the "P" ATB coins) deal. If you don't get a SS member contacting you who is willing to do this for you, I will offer this service to you. PM me if no one else steps up and we can work out the details.

20. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Now BeHereNow randomly getting PMs he has no idea where it's coming from :lol:. I believe that was me that offered to help anyone get them for US costs.

http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-681704.html#p681704
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-53641-fs-5oz-atb-arches-coin-below-cost.html

You missed the last subscription, but you're welcome to join the future ones. The current people that I'm helping are also getting the upcoming releases through me. Shoot me or mmissinglink a PM. Hopefully I can edit this post in the future, I don't think I can indefinitely offer to do this, at least not free if it gets too large.