Stacking 5 ounce America the beautiful coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Jkenosh, May 8, 2014.

1. Jkenosh

Jkenosh New Member

I am new to stacking. Only started 5 months ago I was buying ase and maple leafs but the more I look at different coins the more I like coins so I decided to start buying the 5 oz atb coins. My local store has the bullion ones for $118 and the collector ones for $125 I think I will spend the little extra and get the collector ones. I know with tax that's gonna be around 26.50 a ounce, would I be better with 10 ounce bars or collecting the atb coins?

2. db23

db23 Member

Double check what they mean by collector? Maybe just putting the bullion one in a capsule...

$125 is below the cost of the collector version, way below.

I do like ATB coins a lot and would absolutely stack them over bars, maples or even eagles.

3. Jkenosh

Jkenosh New Member

I will have to do more research. I see I can get than new from the mint for 139.00 if I subscribe to them.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The collector version has the "P" mint mark and has a matte-like finish....quite different looking from the bullion.

My take on stacking is that if you are buying ANYTHING but the absolute lowest price blobs (common non-denom bullion bars) then you are already paying a higher premium for metal than you ought to. As for me, I diversify but mostly buy popular, lower mintage bullion coins and semi-precious coins as I am under the belief that silver will never again be used to back any major currency and that the price of silver may not go significantly higher for a very long time because I am reading about new mines that are yet at max production yielding very large volumes of silver which means there's an abundance of silver that will be produced for the foreseeable future. Supply and demand plays heavily into the price of commodities like metals. So, while blobs and bullion coins can be produced at will by any mint in any quantity, collector coins and medals are not therefore they are not completely dependent upon the spot price and how much dealers knock off of the spot price IF they buy run-of-the-mill blobs. Collector coins like the ATB's are selling rather well it appears. About 4-6 months after I purchased my very first bullion coin I found out about the ATB coins. I felt I had to acquire a full set with OGP even though at that time even the collector version coins were not very popular and many people were mocking them as hockey pucks and what-not. I bucked that trend and over the next few months bought the first 10 collector coins of the series on eBay (accumulating a good deal of eBay Bucks while doing that).

The point is, the people who bought them from the US Mint in 2010 and 2011 made some money for them self by selling to me and everyone else who has been buying these collector coins in the aftermarket. So, in 2014, I am intending to buy 2 each of the collector version via subscription from the US Mint.

I hope and believe the collector version will remain popular from here on in.

5. ryan71

ryan71 Member

"My local store has the bullion ones for $118 and the collector ones for $125"

I can find some for that but the earlier ones are closer to $200. I'm not gonna do $40/oz. silver and I figure if I can't get the whole set I won't bother. I like them, though.

6. mmissinglink

Where exactly are you finding the collector coins for $125???

7. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

The "Collector" coins will be in a black box w/ COA and in a capsule as well. I have the 2010 Hot Springs and the Yellowstone as well. I should have kept on collecting them :( Especially the Hawaii Volcano ones!!

8. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How much are 10oz bars you're thinking of buying? If there's $10-$15 difference between them and an ATB, I'd go with the ATB for sure. They're proving quite popular so would be worth the put. And you have something purty to look at while you wiat for them (and silver in general) to appreciate.

9. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I reckon 5 months in, if you find something you like buy it. Enjoy the experience of buying silver. If down the track you want to change your model, sell what you tired of and replace it with what you want.

You may or may not make a profit, but who cares? Enjoy your stacking.

10. ryan71

ryan71 Member

Actually, what I'm looking at are not collectors.

11. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

I just started stacking ATB this year too. The premium for bullion version is not much higher than bars, so at the very worst, they'll hold value, but at best they have upside potential for collector value. The collector's edition has an even higher appreciation potential.

12. Jkenosh

Jkenosh New Member

I thought the collector edition might be more valuable too but mYbe the bullion coins. Not everyone hoarding them like the collector editions. Gonna buy my fist one this afternoon

13. mmissinglink

Both versions have a growing hoard of pretty serious fans based on what I'm seeing in various metals and collector forums. Both versions have low mintage for a US Mint silver coin.

For the special finish version, personally, I can't think of a good reason for a stacker who can get them at subscription pricing, to miss getting them. It's sort of a no-brainer to pick these up at that price. I just wish I had more disposable cash to get more than my 1 per new release.

It looks like the US Mint might be upping production on these...probably because they have become a hit for the US Mint. In other words, the current "P" coin and the previous "P" coin have come close to the max mintage level, if I remember seeing the stats correctly. Can anyone confirm this?

14. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

I buy the bullion ATB and have eleven so far. Wish I had discovered them sooner. They are gorgeous! I only buy the new releases as I'm not willing to pay the premium for the older ones. Wish I had them though....

15. freechance

freechance New Member

Smoky mintage is 25k for the p with 23596 currently sold
    shenandoah mintage increased to 30k for P version will be released next week.
    no mintages set for the bullion versions yet. still "mint to demand"

16. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

Mint to demand. Seems odd doesn't it? I'd like certain ones but price is high. I'm buying every new release

17. freechance

freechance New Member

the mint to demand is only for the current year issues.
    thats how they did it last few years. they set mintages just before the release of the last bullion coin (mount rushmore).
    last years were 35k for the white mountain and mount rushmore. 30k for perrys victory, great basin and fort mchenry.
    smoky bullion is at 23k so far with more being minted soon(temp sold out at mint) and shenandoah is at 14,800 after the first week

18. mmissinglink

The US Mint would not have increased the max mintage, I believe, if these were not getting so popular. I hope they don't go crazy and increase max mintage to 50,000 or more because there's a double edged sword to increasing max mintage too high....yes, they meet demand and sell plenty of coins but one of the reasons I think that people are diggin' the "P" version is the low (comparatively to other US Mint silver coins) mintage. I'd like to see them go absolutely no higher than 35,000 as a max limit.

Also, we should make sure to know the difference between the bullion and collector version. It is the bullion version that has unlimited mintage and mint to demand. The collector version is minted to no more than a set max no matter how high the demand gets.

19. freechance

freechance New Member

The P versions are getting a huge boost from the subscription 10% discount and the already lower price of $155 compared to the earlier issues that were as high as $280.
    they sold 86% of the mintage in the first week mostly from subscriptions, but not much after that.
    subscription price puts them only about 10-20% over the bullion versions. I personally have been stacking the bullion version for years, but now will split purchases between the bullion and the P's as long as the prices are close.

20. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Bullion Coin Mintages
    2010 Hot Springs 33,000 2010 Yellowstone 33,000 2010 Yosemite 33,000. 2010 Grand Canyon 33,000. 2010 Mount Hood 33,000. 2011 Gettysburg 126,700 2011 Glacier 126,700 2011 Olympic 104,900 2011 Vicksburg 58,100. 2011 Chickasaw 48,700 2012 El Yunque 24,000 2012 Chaco Culture 24,400 2012 Acadia 25,400 2012 Hawaii Volcanoes 20,000. 2012 Denali 20,000. 2013 White Mountain 35,000 2013 Perry's Victory 30,000 2013 Great Basin 30,000 2013 Fort McHenry 30,000 2013 Mount Rushmore 35,000