So, how's that preservation of buying power going for you?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by RetardedMonkey, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member Silver Stacker

If you are after a large gain after 3 years then PM stacking is not for you. Pick a bubble and play with fire.

2. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Love the change of subject.

3. Gunna

How was that a subject change? You are trying to compare your rent over a period of 3 years. As Trew asked do it over a period of 10, 20 years.

The average silver price in 2003 was $4.85 per ounce, so if your rent was $250 then it would take 51.54 tOz to cover rent. Today, adjusted for with a $10 increase every 12 months that same place would be $350, at today's price it would cost 14.15tOz. So in the long term silver has paid off. Heck, even with a $20 a year increase bringing the rent to $450 per week it would still only cost 18.2 tOz. For you to loose on silver then rent would have to be more than $1274

4. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

& if you bought at $50 in the hunt bubble or anywhere in the run up or down you would be still in the red after 30 years ....just sayin.. $50 back them would be like $200 now when do you think those people would be anticipating a return ? Do you think they would be crowing about retaining buying power ?
    I think a lot of people want a ROI in 3 years . Its not a good strategy to invest in something & have negative returns for 3 years

It sounds like im anti PM & im not . Im a realist . I never let selective dates & cherry picking by some here cloud the facts .

5. Gunna

Understand where you are coming from. I guess you just need to work out how long you want to invest for, personally i'm in it for 20 - 30 years so long term I should see a return higher then if i invested it in a bank or tried to play the stock market. Not to mention once it is tied up in PM it is harder to spend on impluse especially with how easy it is to transfer $$ now days

6. renovator

I know you cant take it with you . I just believe having a few balls if you drop one you can still juggle If your juggling one ball & you drop it what have you got .... The sound of one hand clapping ? :lol:

7. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

How about disencouraging people to buy silver when the price is driven up by those that buy it only to dump it later, regardless inflation?
    Remember the YeeHa topics based on US Mint sale figures?
    And a dozen other 'reasons' to buy silver?
    And now the question is asked how the preservation of buying power is going.
    Quite... late, isn't it?

8. renovator

Is disencouraging even a word ? :p:

Hey im all for buying metals how do you think i got here .If your in it for the long term as vc says i think you will do ok . Questions need to be asked & HONEST answers need to be given not a one eyed approach either from the bulls or the bears. Theres a a lot of young people on here with high hopes of making a fortune . . At times thats possible if you have the $ to throw at it . I think myself & some others want to give a balanced view about the reality of what can/will /has happened not just blindly leading them down the silver /gold to da moon /it will preserve your buying power path . For some it will end in tears because they cant afford to lose that money.

Like any investment it can turn pear shaped .

9. Pirocco

Quite... late to ask those questions, isn't it?

10. SilverSpurs

SilverSpurs New Member

@Hotel 46 It was a joke, I was poking fun at the people in panic mode right now questioning if they should dump and run. I just got into stacking and will readily admit that but I'm in it for the long term and only playing with money that I could afford to use a camp fire starter if I so choose. All I was saying is that if you follow the herd and buy in when its on the rise or panic and sell during the fall thats a sure fire way to lose your behind.

11. renovator

So you think a newbie coming into metals shouldnt ask those questions ? or be informed on ALL potential outcomes ? You can play the bull all day long i'l stay on middle ground .

12. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Oh look!

My rent this week is going to be more in ounces.
    Or barrels of oil...

13. renovator

AGAIN !!!! :lol: For a mentally challenged primate you see things very clear :p:

14. Pirocco

I think that newbies should have been asked those questions earlier, especially at $35.
    Hence I asked:
    Quite... late to ask those questions, isn't it?

Pssst, it's the third time I asked.

15. renovator

You think newbies should have been asked ? What are you on about man .So now we should ask newbies the questions they dont know answers to ? . :lol:

I have no idea what your talking about . If you bought at $35 then yes those questions should have been asked before you bought . I didnt realise we were having a conversation only about those that bought at $35 .

If you bought 1000 ozs yesterday youve already lost $1500 so it applies to $25 . It applies to any price point .

Giving a fair unbiased answer has nothing to do with price

16. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree with retarded monkey.

Some you have have silver rocks in your head if you think >10% drop in your assets oer 2 days is a good thing worth celebrating. For all you know it could drop to $20/ounce and stay there for 10 + years.( it has happened in the past -- no movements for 10 + years not even keeping up with inflation )

We have all just been cyprioed. Bent over ravaged from behind and are epexting pople to be happy and "back the truck up" for more. Yes please Bubba please give me another jolly rogering in the behind

geeze some of you are completely nuts

17. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

To be fair, Pirocco, renovator was asking the same questions at $30, $35, $40, $45 etc. trying to warn against exuberance.

18. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

Or on the other side of the coin, my wage just increased in ounces of silver :D

19. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Always 2 sides to a coin, good for you Grinners :)

20. renovator

Yeah thanks grinners . I feel that all the possible scenarios should be on the table for consideration at any price . Ive been around long enough to see people that cant afford to lose the money get burnt not just metals but in a multitude of things .So the more honest info they have on probable scenarios the better they can make decisions ...then live with the consequences of those decisions ..