Size matters - What's your idea of a decent stack?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Abossy, May 10, 2015.

1. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

2. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Too YUM because it would draw in all the marauders and desperado's in a SHTF scenario!

3. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Everyone has thought about this at some point. I guess it is all relative.

A stack... means more than a few ounces.

If you think about it... there's only less than 10 ounces of silver per person on the planet. Most people don't own much silver, so having just 10+ ounces puts a person in front of the pack.

I've just made it to my third ounce last week which I was really really proud of! So I'm aiming for 10 ounces of silver as my first stop.

I think once someone has 500 ounces it is 'decent'. Above that is more than decent.

500 ounce to me is "the insurance policy" number.

JM2C

4. PeterS

PeterS Member

Interesting you mention 10 oz as a "step" - I found that just sort of happened unplanned for me and seems to repeat at subsequent tens.

5. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Miloman persevered, a threepence a week for the past five months gave him his third ounce!

6. SilverTounge15

SilverTounge15 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A good stack would be atleast 5000oz to me and 500oz gold
    Thats my goal....

7. Niveka

Niveka New Member

That 500oz au may be difficult to achieve... agree on the 5000oz ag

8. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

5000oz silver is what I opened with - I think it's a good number right now - I'm in my early 30's so that might change later on. It's also only just over $100k, so not a huge amount in dollar terms.

Reading the responses it's clear there is no magic number, it's different for everyone. I think the most important thing is you have a goal and strategy to accumulate while staying out of debt.

Having said that it's easy to get carried away and lose focus on other investment opportunities.

9. SilverTounge15

It is easy to get carried away... Some weeks i over spend on silver so bad im doing extra work on weekends and selling possesions just to pay the bills.... Sold my tv, fish tank, spare car, car parts, pool table, 2 playstations, jordan shoe collection, Just to name a few, i look at everything in ounces of silver now, considering selling my car now and just riding to work i will spend the 25k from the car in about 25 minutes on a bullion dealers website....

10. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

That sounds like it's turning into obsession - I got carried away too a couple of years back, did alot of my buying in the $30's obviously I could have put that cash to work with elsewhere.

What happens if you have an emergency? You end up selling your silver at a loss or pawning out something else - not very smart. Why don't you hold off stacking for a few months and setup an emergency fund? Aim for $1,000 to begin with and setup a buffer in your budget so your always one month ahead. Then aim for 3-6 months expenses. Then go stacking again, but pair down to a dollar cost averaging strategy to accumulate.

11. SilverTounge15

i wouldnt deny im obsessed.... Im always buying and selling bullion so i always have money and i currently have $2000 tucked away for emergancy and i put $50 a week into my daughters bank for her future aswell as buying horse coins for her stack...
    How many 1yr olds do you know with 300oz silver and 3oz of gold....
    Way i see it if i sell my car its better for my health and wealth

12. SilverTounge15

When silver is under $21 aud i go alittle crazy... Ive bought about 240 oz in the past 4 or 5weeks sold about 50oz

13. GoldenIslesCoin

GoldenIslesCoin New Member

Loaded question, when I was 18 my goal was 500 ounces of silver and 5 ounces of gold, I have since came a long way. One way I know to make your stack bigger is Buy From Me... Cheeziest commerical ever. No seriously, what I tell any client is never overspend. I know we all have silver goals and the when you get some cash and have the silver bug first thing that comes to mind is buy more metal. I have seen to many times people come in spend $50k and six months later they are selling 10k back for property taxes etc.... That is a quick way to lose money. It's a long term thing, so keep chucking away at it. Maybe 15% of your weekly salary and know from first hand experience it adds up quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy- Anthony @ Goldenislescoin.com

14. GoldenIslesCoin

P.S here is a good size stack, this was a couple years ago for a client. He bought this much every month for 6 months. https://youtu.be/z5Ks_Pl7W6Q

15. GoldenIslesCoin

16. rodmadman

rodmadman New Member

After reading the many posts I have concluded that a good stack is as personalised as a prefered hair style. Income, wealth, lifestyle, opinions of the economic future and even tollerance of long bear markets play a key role in the right size stack for an individual. Just keep.stackin though we all need eachother and if we all bring others into the world of silver bullion it can be gain for them and definately for ourselves.

17. mabel 1234

mabel 1234 New Member

Hello, I'm new here and I would just like to say what a great place this is. I have a few thoughts on 'stacking' silver and I wonder how many here might share my views.

First, all the advice I have gleaned from people much more knowledgeable than myself is that you must buy the actual metal and take delivery of it. A piece of paper saying you own so many ounces of silver, is just that, a piece of paper. It will be absolutely worthless when the smelly stuff hits the fan.

If it doesn't hurt when you drop it on your foot, you don't own it. All you own is a piece of paper and a hundred people could have that same piece of paper for every ounce of silver.

Take delivery, and make your own storage arrangements - outside the banking system.

I think the international debt burdon is so great that banks will fail, and when they do, any silver or gold that you have stored in the bank will be gone, along with any money you also might have there.

I regard gold and silver as insurance against a failing monetary system and it has to be in a place that only I have immediate access to.

18. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't understand how you could have only stacked 3 ounces of silver so far with 45 trades to your name? Were all those trades in non silver PM's?

19. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I seem to recall that Miloman only purchases from an LCS located in Shermer, IL -- usually when visiting friends.. ;)

20. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think 500oz is a good point to take a breather before adding another 500