Silver statues

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by monopolize, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

One *set*, right? :D

It's like, what the hell.. This ain't even stackin' anymore, LOL.

And now I'm watching YouTube videos on freakin' rhodium-plating.

Read somewhere earlier that they're not coming out until early October.

Got a few questions sent in to them, hopefully will hear back soon.

It's truly a sickness, man..

I could see myself getting up to 4 of these things. My wallet couldn't, but my mind wants to.

Gonna be really tough not getting a particular one, anyway.. I'm sure I'd be kicking myself somewhere down the road if I passed.

Eh, I guess I can skip groceries for a month. :( :lol:

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Get to a meeting, bro. There's got to be a Silverholics Anonymous near you. :lol:

3. mmissinglink

You all realize that these figures are characters created by the late, great Frank Frazetta, right?

[​IMG]

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

well, thanks for the reminder missing. just keep rubbing it in. lol.

Gatito. It is one and done...that's it. Like you, in my mind, I'd like to have a set...but no way. Just can't do it. Now if I had money on trees...different story.

5. mmissinglink

Not surprising to me, the king in this chess set is modeled after one of Frazetta's most famous paintings, "The Barbarian"....probably the first Frazetta image I ever came across in my younger comic reading / collecting days.

[​IMG]

6. mmissinglink

I am concerned about the quality of the silver statues. All pictures except one not so good picture clearly appears to be pictures of a larger resin statue version...definitely not the silver version, except, as I stated, one not so good picture.

That is suspicious to me. Makes me wonder about the quality of the silver version.

In the meantime, I splurged for a 1 oz version of this awesome Frazetta silver medal though the image is of the much scarcer 5 ounce medal....

[​IMG]

7. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

8. headsortalesco

headsortalesco New Member

Hey guys! My name's Beck, I run a lot of the stuff that goes on over here at headsortalescoin.co. It's awesome to see some interest in our latest endeavour, the Frazetta statues -nwhich has been more than 6 months in the making (literally - we are living in Thailand to get the manufacturing method exactly right.)

All statues are solid silver. No resin or anything like that. They all contain at least the specified amount of .999, but are heavier than that because we have used .925 (if that makes sense.) I know this will be a source of some discomfort for some of you guys!! But we tried our first round with .999 and the detail just doesn't hold. So, hopefully that makes sense. They're solid though and we won't coat them with anything else if we can help it.

If you've sent through some questions and not heard back, I'm really sorry, and I'd love it if you wrote me personally anytime at [email protected] - we've been kind of MIA for the last little while working on various projects and getting these statues just how we want them. But I promise to email you right back unless I'm asleep or dead.

Whoever said the images are a bit dodgy are right - they're almost all 3D renderings (we have an amazing 3D guy) because until last month, we didn't have any real statues to photograph! BUT NOW WE DO! I've just added them on imgur (http://imgur.com/a/mXKaI) and our FB page too- (facebook.com/headsortalescoin ,) so you can tell us what you think of the different statues and versions. Particularly interested to hear what you think of the various antiquing options - there are a few we're deciding between.

I'm personally flying to New York in 10 days to deliver our first 50 statues to a few people who pre-ordered, so if anyone wants one (you'll get a super low number, and we're only producing 1000 of each, not 8000 as originally planned) I've set up a discount just for you guys for 10% off - the code is STACKERFORUM.

Hit me up with questions, like I said - we have some epic stuff in the making and all suggestions are welcome!

9. barsenault

My personal feedback, although I'm sure you'll hear from others, is on the 9th picture that you have on the link, the guy all the way to the right is the best finish, IMHO. Good luck on this endeavor. I'm sure you'll be successful.

10. barsenault

I thought I'd include a couple of pictures to help my good friend Beck out. Gotta say, I really like these, and with a 30.00 discount, I just may have to buy one to give it a whirl to see what they look like!! And now with a mintage of a 1000. Gotta say, what is there not to love about them (at about 40.00 per ounce)? Imagine having the whole set to play chess with. LOL. I think Missing is pretty good at chess...he maybe just the one to buy them all. :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. silvestor

silvestor Member Silver Stacker

Wow. I prefer the clean silver look. It might lack abit of defenition but if im buying silver I want it to look silver.

Beck what are the other metals used?

12. headsortalesco

The one on the left is dipped in rhodium, and if we go ahead with it, we may have to do it twice because there were some blemishes that still showed up. See the shoulder is still shiny? We have to polish off the lumps from casting, and they become shiny. I said to my partner the shinier the better lol but with so much detail it's just about impossible to make it all that shiny. We've got 10 days of experimenting to do before I head to the states.

Everything else is just silver.

Oh and the antiquing that Bob likes is just literally a sticky paint. It's painted on till black and then polished off. Takes a few days to dry too which is annoying when they pack it in paper towels lol

Thanks for the kudos Bob! I'll be sending you the antiqued version you like (cause you can do cool stuff like individual antiquing when you're just starting out :)

13. barsenault

Thanks much Beck. My son is going to love it. His birthday is in Feb. He'll be stoked to get this piece as a gift, and the discount helped too.

14. mmissinglink

Welcome to the forum, Beck!

Excellent work with the Frazetta statues. I've been a fan of Frazetta for literally decades and I've been a fan of chess for just as long....so these statues are right down my alley.

Many years ago, when Frank Frazetta was still alive, I visited the Frazetta Museum in Pennsylvania and met Ellie his wife (Frank was under the weather that brutal winter day so sadly, I never got a chance to meet the master artist in person). That day, I finally got a chance to see the actual original oil paintings that for years I only saw on lithos, posters, and books. Let me tell you, there is no comparison between any form of reproduction and the original oil paintings. It can't be described except to say the paintings are virtually living in terms of the vibrancy and richness of colors. It was very difficult to pull myself away from one painting and move to the next because you so quickly get immersed into the living scene.

Anyway, this is my favorite image of one of the silver statues from your website (that I have seen):

[​IMG]

Can you tell us what figures correspond to what chess pieces? The Queen piece is obvious.

Thanks.

15. headsortalesco

Wow that's awesome! I'm actually headed out there to meet Lori (Frank's daughter in Law) on this next trip - she will be getting one of each statue, which will actually be her first look at them! I can't wait to check out the museum.

Well we have our suggestions. Atlantis, the shortest piece is the pawn, Huntress should be the Castle, DD3 should be the Knight, Silver Warrior should be the bishop, the Queen is clearly the Queen and Barbarian is the King. Of course, they can be used however you wish.

Which finish do you prefer? My favourite is the silver plated version I think, but I'm not sure we have an image of it yet. It's pretty much like the above though except cleaned up from being cast, and slightly more polished.

16. mmissinglink

Prepare to have your breath taken away when you see the originals.

Since the time I went to the Frazetta Museum, some of his originals may now be in private collector hands so I'm not sure what originals remain in the museum...though I suppose the private collectors might still allow the museum to display the pieces they own.

I'd like to see each finish side-by-side. The silver plates sounds wonderful too.

17. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

this is a winner

18. Eliassamaha

Eliassamaha Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I really like these need them in my collection

19. natsmezz

natsmezz Member

So if we were to order today, what finish would we receive? It says Antiqued on the order page but personally I really like the polished silver look.

20. mmissinglink

Agreed, raw or polished silver looks best from what I can tell but a side-by-side picture of all finishes would be ideal.