Silver Shakeout - What does Mike Maloney think??

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silversurfer2010, May 8, 2011.

1. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

While on the topic of Warren Buffett ...

The famous "value investor" has said he doesn't understand gold, because it has "no utility". Never mind its 5,000-year history of storing wealth. Anyone watching the gold market from Mars "would be scratching their head" to see it "dug up in Africa" only to be buried again in a vault underground, says Buffett.

Yet his Berkshire Hathaway fund tried to corner the silver market in the late 1990s, selling its massive position in 2006 for a fair profit. So while Buffett doesn't "get" gold, his Graham-and-Dodd value investing made silver a valid play. Because he thought it was undervalued against the outlook for industrial demand.

Gold analysts are spared having to guess how technology might affect prices. Whereas the bigger prize for you, Warren Buffett and for the Hunt brothers, who famously attempted a silver corner in the late 1970s may look to be in judging silver's future mix of monetary, investment and industrial use.

courtesy Money Morning

2. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

You're obviously all starry-eyed over Mr Buffett. Perhaps this may put things into perspective ...

"Warren Buffett bagged nearly $10 billion in interest, fees and dividends on the $5 billion lifeline he extended to Goldman Sachs in 2008."

If this was a free market transaction we'd say "Hats off to Warren". He put his company's capital on the line at a time when everyone was panicking, and now he's reaped the reward.

But of course, it wasn't a free market transaction.

It was a transaction where Mr. Buffett was 99% sure the US government and Federal Reserve would bail out the banks.

And they did.

Thanks to this action and Dr. Ben S. Bernanke's money printing, Goldman Sachs is now able to pay Mr. Buffett back in full.

How so?

Simply because the new money created by the US Federal Reserve new money that has devalued the US dollar and caused price inflation worldwide conveniently found its way to the balance sheets of US banks such as Goldman Sachs.

Armed with this new cash, Goldman Sachs can now repay Mr. Buffett.

It's good being in a position of influence, isn't it? Get repaid on a bet by encouraging the Federal Reserve to prop up the economy. It's just a shame it has to come at the expense of devaluing the savings and wages of ordinary folk.

But that's what happens when government and business mix.

Courtesy Money Morning

3. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Active Member

Yippe whatever you think of the morality of Warren Buffett you can't deny his brilliance as an investor. Even the other purchases he has made over the past few years that didn't involve the same implied government support worked out well.

As for silver. In past times silver was an effective form of money because it had limited industrial demand and large above ground stockpiles making it a stable form of money to preserve wealth in. Good forms of money which last a long time must have limited actual usefulness (i.e. industrial demand) and large above ground stockpiles to be stable and effective. Due to the growth in industrial demand for silver and the low above ground stockpiles it is now no longer a suitable form of money in my opinion.

4. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

What's stopping you then? Besides fear ...

5. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

My views are well in tune with those of people i highly respect.

And yeh i'm doing better than okay. Have grown my wealth by more during the last couple of years than people earning triple what i do so i guess i must be doing something right

6. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

This thread seems to be a meeting place for the clever dicks who think they know more than Maloney does about how best to grow wealth.

It's just such a target rich environment if you have sensitive bullshit detectors is all

7. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Marc Faber, Peter Schiff, Mike Maloney, Wesley Legrand

Also anybody who knows anything about history, besides when Australia won which sporting event/cup

8. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Putting up names means nothing - put up some of their articles where they state that silver is not an industrial metal.

malachii

9. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

LOL!!

your posts are getting funnier... congrats ;p

10. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Just cos it's funny - doesn't change the fact. Still waiting for evidence that silver is not an industrial metal.

malchii

11. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

By the way, i didnt say that silver is not an industrial metal. I'm saying it is not just an industrial metal, and is still very much seen by people the world over as a store of wealth - real money.

You can youtube these guys along with silver and see for yourself what they have to say.

Besides, whether you believe in silver being a store of wealth or not is completely irrelevant.
    There are billions of people who see it as real money and can see past the mirage of the fiat money system which westerners have come to worship

SAVVY ??!!

12. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

Cool, so with that strategy how'd your purchasing power go over the last two weeks :lol: Maybe i was slow to start selling at $42 and average up to the point of the correction so that now i might be able to buy more ounces or maybe trade in profits for gold (since the GSR was so low two weeks *or so* ago)

Your ranting about silver is ill founded, it was just proved two weeks ago (your strategy failed ... your purchasing power (saved in silver) is down by over 20% - FACT), and you are still ranting on about it (which is funny BTW). Gold however is a very different beast. Will gold save me from having my pants down in the *of* chance that the FIAT becomes worthless over night ? Or must I have it in silver ... (you don't even look at investments in the same category). Sad ...

And you don't need to worry about me or my salary, I'm doing just fine :p

13. hennypenny

hennypenny New Member

i thought last week looked and smelt like a peak -- bull trap anyone?

i sold most of my silver today and made a reasonable profit equivalent to 30% pa return.

btw, is it true that yippe is really a computer-generated troll programmed to give the world's worst investment advice?

so long, and thanks for the fish.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Well that would be relevant to your purchase price wouldn't it ?

15. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Are you for real??

so you made a good decision to sell out near one local high point? so what..
    Have you bought back in again or are you waiting for silver to fall further?
    lol - you guys just keep congratulating yourselves profanity removed

we'll see who has the last laugh

16. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

There's more mudflinging in this thread than a week's worth of regular threads.

Yippe-Ki-Ya - stop going on the personal attack whenever you disagree with someone else's opinion or position.

17. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

i notice the trend now
    when silver goes up yky posts are not as harsh and degenerative cause his wealth is increasing = happy chappy

when it tanks, he gets out right abusive, downcast and his inner troll comes out!

the model silver stacker!

18. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

Who said anything has stopped me ? :cool: or you mean what's stopping me from being a billionaire ? If its the latter then, what's stopping you from being mike maloney :p I guess we are all *working on it*.

If its the former however, then NOTHING .... When I see a small cap that I know (to the best of my knowledge) will take off I buy it, when you trade you have to be somewhat FEARLESS. if the information that you have lines up then put the trade through simple as that.

Just as a simple example, when Japan had that disaster there were many many stocks RIPE for the picking , in 08 when the massive de-leveraging happened there were also a lot of stocks ripe for the picking too :)

Certain stocks during that time period would have yielded the same kind of returns that silver or gold has been able to do over the last 10 years in only a few months :cool:

19. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

To quote John ...

Ok - Point Taken. When baited - don't retaliate... just cop it sweet and bless the hands that mock you.

20. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

I think what GP is saying is that, just because silver is volatile, doesn't mean we have to be. :D