Silver is Silver is Silver yeah??

Discussion in 'Silver' started by deswa, Apr 5, 2011.

1. deswa

deswa New Member

I'm still very new to this stacking biz but I have read almost the entire forum here, a couple of books recommended by posters and of course read a lot of content online. Having already decided some of my silver will be in numis and the rest straight out stacking, I still have a couple of questions.

When buying silver bars for stacking only, so long as they are .999 or better, is there really a need to pay a premium on some over others? If yes, why? If not, why would someone pay more for some over others? Should I be concerned whether I buy Silvertowne, APMEX, Perth Mint, Engelhard, Sunshine Silver or PAMP? I note that Buffalo rounds are all but the same cost as some of these 1 Oz bars...perhaps they are a better investment.

Or, for a 2-3% premium, would it be better to have some coins such as 2011 SAE's, Philharmonics or Kooks which have stacker and numismatic value?

Maybe I'm splitting hairs. As always, I very much appreciate the input from all forum members.

2. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Hey deswa, I've been buying mainly Silvertowne Bars myself, hit 20oz this week, but am keen on knowing exactly what you've asked.

Lets see what our resident silver sensei's have to say on this...

3. Ernster

Ernster New Member

Yes Silver is Silver as long as its .999 you're good. I wouldnt be buying kooks and other high premium Silver. However I'd only buy Silver that has a recognizable brand name on them.

I think you cant go wrong with Perthmint Bars, Morgan Bars and any of the the names you mentioned will be fine too. A mix will be the best choice just in case...

As far as coins go, I'd just stick with American Silver eagles and Australian 1966 50cent coins.

4. deswa

deswa New Member

I only started this in February and have managed to amass 20 Oz. I'm impressed but the wife isn't LOL. I have some kooks, a Maple, some SAE's, a Philharmonic and my prize is a 2010 Andean. Only have one Morgan bar hence my questions.

5. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

If you've read 'almost the entire forum' you'd have known all the answers to these questions. They have all been answered and you will find repeating answers for the same questions, so you won't have any trouble finding your answers. I just stack perth mint silver and gold atm. Everyone stacks different stuff with their own justifications. either way, I guess it's pretty hard to go wrong - even buying pricey numismatic silver (which may appear not to be worth it).

Just DONT buy silver that is minted with offensive symbols or designs- ie Nazi silver. It is harder to sell and can attract unwanted attention. Stick to well known mints recognised worldwide.

PPSS

6. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your 20 oz pile. You're twice as far up the ladder as one of my mates who um'ed and ar'ed for a year. lol. I still pat him on the back for having his 10 oz bar, of course.

:)

7. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Stick with Perth Mint bars. They are 999 and a trusted recognisable name. If 1kg becomes $2,000 or something think about it yourself - would you pay $2,000 for a bar from the "BettaTrustMe" or "Perth Mint" ? I know which I'd be buying for $2k.

8. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

Oh, I don't know. I think PAMP are nicer.

9. RhythmDoctor

Personally speaking I'd rather avoid swiss if I could. Maybe I'm being romantic here, but I don't like the idea of refined Nazi gold. Though I do agree, they are really attractive looking!

10. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Nazi Silver coins trade at a premium on eBay and there is heaps of them being sold.

11. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

Hey, it was gold long before the Nazis came along. How do you know you don't have "Nazi gold" already in some form?

12. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

You think that British Sovereigns are 'purer' gold?, than nazi gold.

lol

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Gold and Silver has no conscience, values or political associations. It just is.

I'll let you buy my paper with your silver and gold whether it came from Nazi Germany, former manic iraqi dictators or even property investors.

As long as it's the real deal, it's all good to me.

14. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I'd agree with the above. As you want to get the stack up as quickly as possible i'd suggest sticking wit the bars to get the best value for your money.
    Coins are for play and swaps imo. Don't worry about proofs.

Re brand names, those you mentioned are commonly found and generally trusted. Also consider the ABC's and Ainslie. Stack on price until you get an amount you are comfortable with. Consider postage in the price if you require it.
    Good luck - it is addictive

15. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

nazis iraqi dictators & property investors in the same sentence hahahahahahah. auspm your hilarious il be back later io just have to gas a few hundred thousand people :lol:

16. RhythmDoctor

haha! Its not the ethics of my stack that bothers me really. More the likelihood of someone not wanting to buy due to an ethical issue.

Pretty funny though nonetheless... Ever see the Bill Bailey clip about UBS?

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Glad to see my tongue in cheek, dry humour is taken in good faith by some around here. ;)

18. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm a history buff.

Quite the contrary, I'd pay extra for some sample silver/gold that can be tied specifically to these sorts of historical events.

People's personal affliction for these events might dissuade them, but after time, they cease fearing and they just accept it as an oddity.

Think about what people are willing to pay for historical coins now?

[​IMG]

Some might look at the period of roman history with a sense of real distaste considering how they viewed life and measured the value of others.

I'd daresay the roman empire over it's reign killed millions of people.

Yet here we have a coin that not only has significant historical value, but also has underlying intrinsic value too.

Just remember though, once they hit the melting pot, it matters very little what form the silver and gold took previously.

19. RhythmDoctor

Totally agree with you Aus, I just missed out on a 50AD Byzantine silver coin while back in the UK - granted it was 50 Pounds, but in terms of historical value, it was an absolute steal!

20. honey stacker

honey stacker New Member Silver Stacker

This is why I feel AE's and Philharmonics are good. Both currencies are in strife and may have a ''remember the euro'' or USD colapse premium. Maybe I'm wrong it's a speculative guess. I wish no discomfort or pain on them though so I'd be cool if it never happen's.