Rubys

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by spannermonkey, Sep 21, 2013.

1. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very and not just for his opinion .
    Old Codger meant nothing to him :(
    But with my jeweller as well , I'm keeping all the Ruby's for now & I'm going to get a few more next week
    I'm going there with my jeweller with a few designs in mind :D
    I'll be going there once a month & the stones want be sold loose anymore ;)
    The star Ruby's I can flip to my mate who introduced me to him

2. slappy70

slappy70 Member

99% of Rubies on the market have been treated via "lead glass filling" also called "fracture filling". This is a process where by a the stone is put in a lead glass and the glass fills any
    cracks/fractures in the stone. It makes a very bad stone look much better. Unheated/untreated rubies that have good clarity and good color bring steep prices. Treated and heated
    Rubies can be bought for $10 per carat and they look nice enough to place in jewelry. I have many rubies for sale, almost all of them have been treated. The one below is a 5.76ct ruby that has been treated. [​IMG]
    Source:

3. spannermonkey

As I learnt the other day , that's why I'm going shopping with my jeweller next time ;)
    And I'm only buying what I have designs for :cool:

4. slappy70

slappy70 Member

Something I forgot to post in my first reply, the treatment of lead glass filling a ruby is an accepted treatment within the jewelry trade/gemstone market. As I stated before, probably 99% of all rubies
    on the open market have gone through some type of treatment. When buying a ruby, I just assume it has been treated in some way and my buy price is based accordingly. Also, the process of fracture filling is also widely done with Sapphires.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

If you don't want to fork out the moula for a ruby you can get a nice red spinel for much less. Also star rubies are usually not messed around with like their clearer brethren.

If you wanna spend over 1k on a stone take a holiday to Chanthaburi in Thailand, if you don't get ripped off you'll be amazed at what you can get for your money at the gem markets there.

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

This is absolutely my experience also, even tanzanite is 95% heat treated, Chatham infusion is common for sapphire! emerald gets oil treated etc

I like the un-tampered ones and find their flaws and shortcomings fascinating

7. spannermonkey

Picked up a few more today :cool:
    yes all are glass filled
    That's the best I can do for pics for now
    The first lot are already half way into being made :cool:
    I'll take pics when I'm there next
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 18anstacking

18anstacking New Member

lead glass filling on rubys makes them alsmost worthess, after an decent cleaning job done by a jeweler the fillings break apart or turn white making the gem look ugly as can be. Anytime a ruby is lead glass filled its value deminishes instantly.

9. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Incorrect - If there was no monetary incentive or demand for lead-glass filled Ruby's, then they would not use and pay to fill ruby's with lead-glass, the fact that they do necessarily means there is demand and an economic incentive.. ie: by filling Ruby's with lead they are now better off by either:

A - Selling them for more
    B - Being able to sell more
    C - Both, Selling them for more & Being able to sell more

Futhermore, a typcial Ruby which is to undergo Lead Glass filling will be an in-expensive gem in the first place, the process will increase its desirability at a small cost of labour and inventory which will be outweighed by the ability for it to generate a higher price when sold (but still not a huge amount of money as supply is more due to the fact so many Ruby's ungergo LG treatment!)

A Ruby that is lacking in Colour and or with fissures, cracks and heavily included sell for more than a glass-filled Ruby due to a change in the demand/supply fundamentals into the future (we don't know what will be demanded and what will be supplied in the future!)

This is how it is

10. slappy70

slappy70 Member

Just to add to 1for1's comments, whatever cleaning method that jeweler is using, obviously isn't the correct one for a fracture filled/glass filled ruby. Also, unless you want to pay a boat load of money, good luck finding a ruby that hasn't undergone some type of treatment. I'd be willing to bet at least 95% of all rubies sold on the open market are either heated, glass filled or both. Without a doubt glass filled rubies have their place in the market and there is no problem buying and selling them as long as the treatment is disclosed.

11. 18anstacking

18anstacking New Member

12. slappy70

slappy70 Member

The article talks about it being bad if the treatment isn't disclosed, nothing else. As I've previously said along with others, there is a big place in the market for treated rubies, as long as the treatment is disclosed.

13. 18anstacking

18anstacking New Member

guess im just a natural kind of guy for my gems, in my opinion i just view em as fragile glass, pretty but not worth much. but to each his own! :D