RED SQUIRREL Coin 5$ Palau 2012 - The new HEDGEHOG?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by alexbecks, Sep 27, 2012.

1. picturefun

picturefun Member

Looks like they are gone. How much are they selling? just curious. thanks

I saw the price on Ebay has gone down, at least one sold as low as $198 plus $15 shipping
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Dollar-Pa...2406957?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item5d3644572d

2. picturefun

picturefun Member

It all depends on how much is the price? :D

3. bentox

bentox New Member

I dont know if it will be the next hedgehog....But I have found this new releases that are similar, so theres a lot of competence to become the new hedgehog

Papua Nowa Gwinea 2012 5 Kina Spiny Anteater
    Fiji 2012 10$ Predatory Mammals Lutra

4. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

There are similar coins also from Belarus, they copied the hedgehog, the owl, the wolverine etc. Very bad copies in my opinion.
    I think that the first and most important series is the one of the hedgehog, the others are nice coin but riding the wave of success of the original ones.
    Alex.

5. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Hello Ladies and Gents!

Next coin in the series was released (in case someone is interested):
    [img=FluxBB bbcode test]http://www.powercoin.it/1221-2877-thickbox/barbary-ground-squirrel-over-the-world-black-swarovski-silver-coin-5-palau-2013.jpg[/img]

When I started collecting coins "after" some break (or to be honest - actually started) I believed this coin had/has potential. I've sold all of mine Squirrels coins, for not so great prices. I believe that first one was really nice, but at that time didn't know (when I purchased it) that is Gulo Gulo "copy cat".
    The second in series was colored (!) coin, which was cute and everything, but come on.... It would be better to release this one (picture above).

I think it will be interested for all those who wrote about first coin how many/much of your prophecies come true. ;) We are far away from 600$. I know everyone can be general after a battle, but it's the learning process... don't take this personal. ;)

I will miss first one (squirrel :)), but I think that series started great, then fall and is now somewhere on the middle. Of course these coins are really nice gift for girls/wives, etc.

Package of first (blue) is also much nicer than second. It got that "royal"/diamond feeling.:)

Enough of my talking, let the people decide! :)

EDIT:
    Just noticed the view number of the topic. It's not bad. :)

6. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

You know what... I like it!
    At first sight is kind of scary squirrel but... the more I look at the coin the more I like.
    The tail of the squirrel is very nice, and also the swarovsky seems to fit perfectly in his eye.
    Just for curiosity, do you know who is the mint producing this coin?
    Alex.

7. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

It's better than the first one, but the problem this one has is that the art doesn't feel like an integral part of the coin.

The Mongolian coins just look perfect as the image IS the coin. These squirrels are just plonked on. It's nice, but it's definitely second tier IMO.

8. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I believe they are being minted by Mayer Mint. At least COAs are the same as ones of Tiffany art/Mongolian Crying Wolfs, etc.

Yes, the tail looks very nice, as well as eye, but I still think first one is the best.:)

9. goodwin

goodwin New Member

all three of them together

[​IMG]
    Source:

but now they, of course, have one more friend from Fiji:

[​IMG]
    Source: