RED SQUIRREL Coin 5$ Palau 2012 - The new HEDGEHOG?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by alexbecks, Sep 27, 2012.

1. dmccolgin

dmccolgin New Member

Manipulation at its finest.

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I think allot of people commenting here are just stackers who see 1oz as 1oz. Either that or they're sour that they got burnt chasing the next redback.

Collectors see the beauty of a coin and value it accordingly, the price rises as less become available and that's pretty much it - it's not about ripping people off. If someone is happy to pay $2000 on a gulu gulu they're obviously not buying it for the Silver content.

3. sriblo ag47

sriblo ag47 New Member

Well said Roman. I do feel the same after reading some of the comments from the stackers.
    Comparing tech stocks bubble with rare & low mintage plus very collectible coins doesn't make any sense to me.

Does anyone really think that the "Red Back", "Gulo-Gulo" or "Tulip with lady bug" will depreciate in price in the future. I don't think so, & if anyone think they will, well "May the force be with you."

This coin already selling over $300 on E-bay as a pre-sale only. The mintage of this coin is only a 1000 compare to 2500 Gulo-Gulo coin.

4. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

To each his own..I wont fault anyone who pays multiples of spot because they enjoy a coin,but to speculate on a coin to continue to rise,IMHO is a risk.You are hoping that someone else will be willing to pay a multiple of what you paid so you can sell at a profit.For my own stack,I prefer to spend $700-$800 on a roll of coins rather than spend that for 1 coin.

5. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Wow. Substitute a few words, and this could be an Australian property thread from 7 years ago.

"always goes up"
    "they're not making any more" etc etc

Sure, it's a nice coin, but ....

:lol:

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, i have not been burnt, i have bought a couple of after market perth mint proofs at around $50 which are alright.. transformers, famous battles and warriors of the world.

I think all of the above mentioned coins could go down cosiderably if the market conditions are right.. prices move.. and not always to the upside.

Numismatic coins are notorious for going backwards after decades.. they cant all go up for ever

Obviously if you buy these, you buy them at issue prices .. not AFTER they have appreciated like pandas etc

1for1

7. ashleyd123

ashleyd123 Member

Ahhh, supply and demand. Maybe the PM could learn a thing or two from this.

8. zeeman

zeeman New Member

So which mint makes these coins? is it Coin invest trust?

9. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

The COA looks like the coins minted by Coin Invest Trust, like Hedgehog & Co.
    But I don't find this coin on CIT website.

Alex.

10. picturefun

picturefun Member

This Red Squirrel coin is the #1 coin in a new series "SQUIRREL Over The World "

Usually the value for the first coin in a series can go up a lot.

11. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Looks like the Opal Koala is doing well too, first coin in series. The last 5 or so sales on Ebay have gone for over $250 plus! Wonder if the Wombat will be the same, the Wombats still going at issue price.

12. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

13. picturefun

picturefun Member

The elephant coin seems lack of some details comparing with the Red Squirrel<g> Plus, it has 2000 mintage, comparing with 1000 mintage for squirrel.

I guess the MOST important reason for a coin to be able to demand high premium is whether there are a couple of big player who stock them up, thus skew the supply and demand, pushing the market price up.

I noticed that Power Coin seems has less supply of squirrel coins this time, comparing with the earlier hot coins that with higher mintage.

14. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

Squirrels are back at Power Coin, maybe they went hunting more of them overnight LOL :D :D
    It seems they sell some quantity at a price and when that is sold out, more pieces are put in stock at higher price.

Alex.

15. picturefun

picturefun Member

At 320 Euro eq. US$410 for one coin, I will leave it for suckers<g>

I saw he auctioned off on flea bay was only around US$350 or so

16. goodwin

goodwin New Member

have just managed to become the highest bidder on ebay for this coin at about 170 eurs + about 10 eur for shipping...

as for the "mongolian hedgehog", still waiting for the prices for to fall: though sometimes there are auctions by some chinese sellers where the price goes down to about 350 usd ----- fakes?

17. sriblo ag47

sriblo ag47 New Member

You will probably buy it around $600 or more, after watching it the price of this coin go up & up. It took Gulo-Gulo more than 3 years to really go up in price. Last year i was buying "Tulip with lady bug" for $250. This year I'm reselling them for for $750 on FeeBay. And I think when the 3 coin of the series comes out next summer, the price of tulip will go up over a grand. Or maybe you want us to be like you, and buy the 1oz silver for their current prices. Let's see, the price in 2015 might be $42 per 1oz, or it might be $25 per 1oz. :/

I will buy at Powercoin all the time, doesn't matter the price, because i know he will ship coins to me. I will never buy at Downies or EuroCollection. Yes, I know it's the same s....t.
    They will never sell you and ship the hot coins. I place an order with them for:

2011 Palau Tiffany art, 2012 Australia 3 coin set Silver Lunar dragon, 2012 Mongolia hedgehog. More than a month i place an order for "Palau 2011 $5 Oyster & Pearl Silver Proof"
    Two hours later i decided to buy another coin, because they were still available. Next day i received e-mail from Downies, saying they sold out.

So when you see the "Palau Red Squirrel" coin at Downies or Euro for $199 you can place an order with them. But the next day you will get this e-mail from them.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your most recent online order. Unfortunately the item/s you have requested
    AS857 Palau 2012 $5 RED SQUIRREL With Black Swarovski Eyes.
    have recently sold out and we are therefore unable to fulfill your order at this time. However, you have been placed on a waiting list for this item and will be contacted by our company should we get more of this product in the future.

Please accept this email as confirmation of cancellation of your online order.

Please do not hesitate to contact any of the client services team by phone on Toll Free 1877 897 7696 should there be anything further we may assist you with.

Unavailable
    Kind regards,

18. picturefun

picturefun Member

Downies/Eurocollection sometimes does keep their promise and ship items. In March 2012, they made some mistakes, put out some popular soldout coins at the issue price for a short time, I happened saw them and placed an order. These included Tuvalu 2011 50 cents forever Love Pigeon coin, and Proof 2012 dragon coin. I ordered 4 Pigeon coin at $61 each, and $110 for a proof Dragon coin. The market value for the Pigeon coin was $90+, and Proof Dragon was $180 or so. They actually honored and shipped to me ALL of the coins, I was a little surprised.

Comparing with Talismancoins, Downies/EuroCollection has been an angel to me:lol:

19. xrayspecs

xrayspecs New Member

Well in case anyone is interested I just noticed this post on the EuroCollections facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/eurocollections

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Due to MASSIVE worldwide demand ECI has only been able to secure two, repeat TWO of these extremely sought-after Red Squirrel Silver Proof coins! As such we are ONLY offering them through Facebook and the lucky two buyers who get in first will walk away with one of the most coveted coins of the year! Sure to only be available for a few minutes, a STRICT limitation of ONE coin per order per household/client is being imposed. Ok....GO!

It is still showing on their website so they must have at least 1 left still. I'm not planning to buy it so thought others here might be interested :)

20. Acme

Acme New Member

I can buy on our market (poland) even 20 pcs if needed :)