Really bad packaging from dealer recently

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Jun 7, 2016.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am thankful for small miracles :)

2. tas stacker

tas stacker Guest

Well that's something but don't seem enough at least now they understand that people will be watching no more shoddy packaging

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Earlier this year, I had a very bad series of very poor packaging experiences with paradisemint on eBay. I'd purchased something like 8 of the same boxed proof silver coins from paradisemint all within about a 2 week period. Some of the 8 were shipped together, some shipped separately. All the coins in their boxes were simply thrown in a flimsy thinly padded envelope and shipped that way. All the coin products arrived damaged due to this awful packaging.

But the poor packaging wasn't the only problem. When I mentioned to the seller that the coins were improperly shipped and arrived damaged, from that point onward, all I received was absurdly pathetic excuses and I was called all sorts of nasty names just because I expected a modicum of basic decent shipping service for coins that I paid a high premium for.

Eventually after having to have eBay intervene because the seller wasn't willing to provide a refund in the proper way, eBay had forced the crappy seller to take back the cons and issue a full refund including for return shipping.

Needless to say, I never have since then and never will spend a single penny on anything from paradisemint on eBay.

4. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Have they offered to receive and exchange damaged goods and pay for return postage ? Or is it a case of just sorry and the best of British luck ?

5. SpacePete

Just a "sorry". I don't really care so much anymore... it's just another nail in the coffin of my rapidly declining interest in coins. They've probably done me a favour in the larger scheme of things.

In my original post I left out one important element that led me to be extra annoyed. Included with the package was a slip of paper describing how my order had undergone a number of controls and checks as part of a quality control program. All I could think was, FFS are they taking the piss?

Here's a pic of the quality control "with compliments" note. I blanked the names because I still have no idea WTF really happened. I can only shake my head and laugh when I look at this:

[​IMG]

6. SpacePete

Ages ago when the AUD was strong I placed a small order with APMEX and the packaging was superb. You could tell they had some pride in what they were doing.

7. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

As in: Modern coins? Or everything PM-related, in general?

Because if the former, I would have gone batty & simply quit a long time ago if all I was doing was mainly modern coins.

Nothing wrong with shifting to other categories for a while.. Vintage bars, poured art/objects, old numi coins, exonumia, jewelry, statues, antique sterling flatware/serveware & other trinkets, etc.

Enough to keep one busy for a lifetime, really.

I've also noticed a trend for some stackers, who also collect other types of non-PM items, such as: Paper currency, stamps, guns, knives/swords, various antiques, old maps & books, gemstones, etc.

Get bored/sick of one category, just switch it up! :)

8. SpacePete

Only modern coins. I still love the old bars, but it's tough to outbid BigFella on those :)

Always been into books but they take up too much room.

9. tas stacker

tas stacker Guest

Yea i got the same thing mind you only after 2 other orders
    Some times its good to have a break do something elese collect something elese and come back to it on your terms

[​IMG]

10. Gatito Bandito

Coins from the pirate times? Authentic cobs?? (Beware of fakes.)

How about actual shipwreck coins -- perhaps minted in Mexico more than 2 centuries ago..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9kHge1Zh_c

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9kHge1Zh_c[/youtube]

Not all are so cleaned like that.. ;)

(Stock photo)

[​IMG]

11. mmissinglink

....or one could switch to enjoying Chinese medals, of course.....I never received a parcel from Barsenault that wasn't packed exceptionally well. That's a fella who takes great pride in providing superb customer service.

12. SpacePete

My first Chinese medal order is already on the way :) I could no longer watch you guys have all the fun with those without sampling some myself.

13. tas stacker

tas stacker Guest

I used to collect cobs back in the day there are very good dealers that won't sell you fakes ebay is a mine field I even have all the books still

14. SpacePete

Not too long ago I got a couple of cobs to add to my pirate treasure jar of skulls and other miscellaneous items.

15. mmissinglink

You are not the only stacker who has recently boarded the Chinese medals party boat....I've been seeing others come on board recently. I know that some Chinese medals collectors out there don't like the idea of too many people coming on board the party boat because the mintages are very low for most medals and higher demand tends to bring the prices up.....but I'm like, "hey, if this fun and exciting boat gets too crowded, we'll just have to move the party to a bigger boat" (meaning the market will simply have to expand to accommodate more buyers).

Oh, and please share pics of what you get if you feel so inclined. You are bound to get lots of ooh's and ahh's from this crowd.

16. Gatito Bandito

We're heading to Oz, baby! When do we get to ride a roo?
    \ \
    [​IMG]

Crikey! Check out the size of that relief!
    \
    [​IMG]