Really bad packaging from dealer recently

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Jun 7, 2016.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perth Bullion used to be very careful with their packaging in my experience, but today I received a delivery with what is the worst packed coins I have ever received. I ordered some 1/2 oz and 1/4 oz Libertads and they were just dumped in a tube that was far too large for them without even a bit of plastic or foam for internal padding, so they all just shook around. Obviously they are now scratched.

Now, these are just bullion coins so I don't expect perfection, but at least how about a minimal attempt at securing them for postage. Look at the pic below and imagine them sliding around all over each other while in transit. This is simply idiotic.

[​IMG]

2. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well of course it's unacceptable. If it's accepted it becomes the 'norm'.
    I wonder if the owner of the business realised that your order was packed this way. IMO there is NO excuse for incompetence. You should also make it know that unless you receive a refund for "DAMAGED GOODS" you won't be buying of them again. I say this because, how the F&@k do they know why you were buying them, because if it was to resell, those hopes have been dashed.
    I stopped buying of them (& a couple of other) ages ago. Vote with your wallet.

3. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I only from them once, queens beast and fair bit of accessories.

I was very happy, each beast was wrapped in bubble wrap two per roll

4. SpacePete

I can't believe the owner would think this is acceptable. Literally all you'd need is a couple of seconds to slip in some foam or plastic bubble stuff and it would be good. I just emailed them but I have no idea if it gets filtered before being seen by the owner. I can only theorize that the person doing the packing knows nothing at all about packing and shipping.

5. SpacePete

Yeah, everything previously has been great, professionally packed with obvious care. This is inexplicable!

6. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

no foam no buy, you got to tell them

7. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hm lower standard now?
    Last time I bought loose coins from them, they tucked them in to the coin plastic sleeve.

8. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Shame...You do pay a hefty premium on fractionals. So they should be treated with respect when packed. Just out of curiosity, get some baby talcum powder then lightly dust with a makeup brush then blow off with canned air ( 30 cm away ). That way you can see if they handle your coins with hands. Good sellers should never use fingers on the face of any bullion coin.

[​IMG]

9. Silver_Dealar

Silver_Dealar Member

I have to say this seems unusual as all the orders I've had from them have been packaged spectacularly

10. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Have you had a chat with them? On my purchase there a slight error, (I didn't mind) but which they promptly agreed that it was their fault and they gave me options.

Since it didn't concern me much, I was just going to ignore the emails, but gees Monica the lady I was dealing with kept emailing asking what I would like to do, very apologetic too. I replied it's fine.

Maybe they will do something for you. Especially as silverpete says fractionals have a big premium attached, selling them at spot after purchasing them new is steep penalty

11. Pandahunter

Pandahunter Member

Mate if I were to receive that type of packaging with scratched coins as a result I'd be fuming. Especially from a dealer, you'd assume they'd generally respect the value and condition of the coins from a professional stand point.

I've noticed on their website the last couple of weeks, most popular forms of low prem bars (1ozr's, 10oz, 1kg) and low prem coins in Oz are out of stock or on back order. Perhaps the recent lax in quality packaging could be that they've been busy smashing out orders. No excuses for them, but you did mention that previously you've had no issues with their packaging in the past.

I would agree with Ipv6Ready, from experience they are generally responsive and do provide good customer service should you bring the issue to their attention,.

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I would hope that you have contacted the dealer in question first and given them a chance to rectify before making this post.

13. Golden

Golden Member

Libertads have shitty packaging even if you order full tubes originally packed. I guess Mexico has yet to discover plastic. This is why I don't bother with them.

14. tas stacker

tas stacker Guest

Hi all
    last Friday I got 5, 1 oz Libertads from PB they were all in caps and mint, never had a problem with the packaging from them
    although if I did they would probably fix it

tas

15. SpacePete

Maybe you can never know if the dings and scuffs occurred during manufacturing, but shipping its loose to bump against each other during shipping can't help. Yeah, they are just bullion coins, but it doesn't hurt to take some minimal effort at suitable levels of protection.

Here's a couple of pics of surface scuffing and dings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Pete, send em back and get a refund ! Fractionals have way too much of a premium to have such damage on them. Shame, as Libertads are a good in resale, but not in this condition.

17. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Everyone is different, but in all cases it depends where you are prepared to draw your line in the sand, and stick to it. Either one of two things occurred here. Either they couldn't afford 2 satchels, or they just didn't care.

18. scrooged

scrooged New Member

Can't believe her nipples survived the trip, or is that them highlighted on the side of the mountain?

19. tas stacker

tas stacker Guest

Did they compensate you?

20. SpacePete

Nope. They did apologise however.