Prospector Round Now In 10 Oz Bar

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by jchrisrobledo, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Andelis

Andelis New Member

Nice looking bar!

2. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Eh, didn't see this until recently..

"Each bar is triple stuck using 345 tons of pressure and has a level of detail that is almost high relief like. It was necessary to strike each bar 3 times to move as much silver as possible into the devices of the die, which provide the detailed features seen on each bar.

It's important to note, that due to the fact that each bar has been struck 3 times, the rim of some bars may appear to have imperfections. Despite this fact, we believe this 10 oz Prospector bar is among the best 10 oz bars available on the market today."

http://www.providentmetals.com/provident-prospector-10-oz-999-silver-bar.html

A couple (not-so-well-done, no offense) YouTube videos of them out there already.

Looks like the edges are a bit too chewed-up -- which is a big no-no for me when it comes to minted bars. Unless/until they fix this issue, it's getting bumped way down my shopping list.. and even then, no guarantee that you won't get an early one that was an exchange/return/buy-back/old stock.

(Skip the 1st minute if you don't want to see the Silver Shield Lunar Year round)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTdRa4snjP0

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTdRa4snjP0[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwanmXc_N6Y

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwanmXc_N6Y[/youtube]

3. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

Wow, I did not even see that in the description! That is a bit upsetting. I was waiting for some actual pictures and videos and you can see the rim messed up on the second one. The first video it wasn't that noticeable, right? I couldn't see it as bad.

Either way, silver is silver right? 10 oz of it! And it's a nice design. It only seems to be the rim that is messed up. And so it seems, it's only certain bars.

Heck, it's really upsetting, but I'm gonna take my chances! I never owned a 10 round/bar and I think this design is the one to do it! I am gonna hold off a bit hoping they might make some better bars since they know the flaw..

4. Gatito Bandito

It's difficult to tell due to the poor lighting, and with the guy jerking the thing around every half-second.. but if you play & pause the 1st video quickly enough at the right times (like, various frames within just 1 second), you can definitely see the chewed edges at certain points.

For example, the 3:01 - 3:05 mark is a pretty good view.

Hard to say if it's as bad as the 2nd one.. Would have to compare them side-by-side in person.

I'm sure there will be other videos/photos coming soon.

I'll say this: At least Provident is upfront & honest about the issue before people click that "Buy" button. Not the first product they sell/sold that they've done that with, either.. Basically their version of "buyer beware."

5. Gatito Bandito

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody were to cut open that plastic packaging & take a deep whiff, only to smell PVC (which ain't good for Ag!).

Methinks there's a decent chance that's only meant as temporary protection during handling & shipping.

If I get one, I'm cutting that thing open right away. I prefer my bars "naked," thanks. :)

EDIT: P.S. Only hold by the edges of the minted ones if bare (clean) hands, as you would a coin.

6. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Ouch the rim in that second video looks terrible. I can handle a little bit of damage but the bottom right looks likes its dented in and torn up. Couldn't really tell from the first video. I would like to see some regular photos, these guys are not very crafty with thier camera phones.

7. Gatito Bandito

Obviously I'd prefer them unscathed, but I can at least tolerate some smooth minor mashing.

But I don't do rough jagged, which these appear to be.

Happy to spend the money elsewhere.. Maybe a 5-oz Provident Prospector round, instead?

8. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I really like the prospector design, but I will probably buy just one round/bar. My reason is that there is little chance of the round/bar gaining any numismatic value and very few dealers will buy this silver for any premium.

9. Gatito Bandito

Agreed; more of a low-premium play on spot, as well as for novelty. Though decades from now, they might fetch an okay premium (as far as generics go).

Nice piece for the youngsters, too.

Final mintages might be high, at least for the round.. but I think it's a timeless design, with pretty good quality (for the 1-oz'ers), and some decent toning possibilities.

I've got a couple each of the 1-oz rounds & bars.

Get the round.. Shows a lot more of the background, which leads to a better visual appeal.

10. Gatito Bandito

5-oz bar pre-sale..!

http://www.providentmetals.com/provident-prospector-5-oz-silver-bar.html

Interesting that they don't have this verbiage for it, like they did for the 10-oz. Maybe not an issue for the smaller weight..?

"Each bar is triple stuck using 345 tons of pressure and has a level of detail that is almost high relief like. It was necessary to strike each bar 3 times to move as much silver as possible into the devices of the die, which provide the detailed features seen on each bar.

It's important to note, that due to the fact that each bar has been struck 3 times, the rim of some bars may appear to have imperfections. Despite this fact, we believe this 10 oz Prospector bar is among the best 10 oz bars available on the market today."

Gonna be hard to resist.. I'm a total sucker for 5-oz minted bars. Just something about 'em. :cool:

11. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Come on perth bullion, get these buggers in please!

12. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

Man, usually I am all over everything Provident and I can't believe I missed it!! You beat me on this one Gatito haha.

But yeah, I am excited for this. More affordable and hopefully they don't have that dinged up rim problem. It is interesting they don't mention it. But I am still gonna wait for people to buy the thing and show actual pictures.

And I am STILL contemplating whether to buy the 10 oz. Even if it's dinged up, it's still silver, no? It's huge, great design with detail, and again.. silver! Plus, I am hoping that maybe if I wait long enough the newer 10 oz bars can maybe be better than the first production. Could that happen they fixed it? Haha or maybe I will get lucky and get a bar that isn't that dinged up. Well see..

13. Gatito Bandito

Pure dumb luck that I stumbled upon it earlier during a broad search.

I think the 5-oz would have a better chance of being in better condition. Though it might be wise to see if Provident adds that disclaimer to the description after they get the bars in & start shipping.

The introductory pricing is definitely nice, though. Wonder how long that will last.

I'm tempted now, but my Ag budget has been getting tighter lately.. Plus I might have a couple other upcoming purchases which take precedent & would deliver a temporary hit.

I think the 10-oz is a bit more risky. Did a quick search & haven't seen any additional YouTube videos out there.

Really depends on what your individual bar's condition would be like & how any defects might bother you, versus how much you want the 10-oz. I'm not convinced that this is something they'd be able to fix, per se, given how they described the minting issue.

Personally, I'd be happy with the 5-oz in excellent condition, and call it a day.

Still would like to see a 5-oz round, though. Think I need to contact Provident on that.. :D

14. Gatito Bandito

Ah, here's the correct thread.

Couldn't resist. Spot finally got me..

Have the 5-oz Prospector bar coming to me. :D

Never got the 10-oz version..

But I've got this weird unexplainable fetish for minted 5-oz bars. :cool:

15. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

Haha well let me know how it goes!
    I remember talking with you on how the rims are all banged up and Provident did note that in their description.
    Keep me updated and maybe put up a pic when you get it :)

16. Gatito Bandito

And the 5-oz'ers are in!

Believe me when I say my camera is an old POS & photos would come out horrible.. Still working on that. ;)

Verdict?

One looks fantastic -- while the other's front is a bit chewed up around the rim. Nowhere near as bad as the 10-oz'ers I've seen in videos, and won't send it back for an exchange, as it is acceptable.. Just not as nice & clean as the 1st. Have to allow some leeway for these things, considering what they are. Stackers had similar issues back 35 years ago with minted bars, too.

The design is pretty wow in this larger format, especially the front, which has a bit more relief than expected. Lots of detail on both sides.

Would I buy 'em if spot were $30 USD? Nope. But would I buy 'em again since spot is below $15? Yep!

If one were interested, probably better off going with the 5-oz.. Those 10-oz'ers just look too rough, especially in the 2nd video from earlier. And the one of mine that looks great gives hope that's there's a decent chance of getting a really nice one.

Pretty cool low-premium bars.

Though they really need to make a 5-oz round in these.. :cool: