Pensioners or centerlink recipients

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Ozboy, Sep 5, 2012.

1. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think the common phrase coined by baby boomers: "I'll spend it all before I die" sums up the prevalent attitude. Then, as they sit in a sterile nursing home, they wonder why they're slowly dying all alone, and why their family only visit once every six months.

2. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

Ouch, do your parents have to pay you to be their child. Get a reduction in pocket money and you don't love them anymore?

3. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Problem solved only blue collar workers get the pension ,paper pushers get what they deserve f$ck all
    By the way not a baby boomer ,but if they want to spend there money that they earned good on them
    @ aus pm are your misses oldies on the pension or are you supporting them ,if there not on the pension maybe they should be then they may be able to support them selfs and have a life , they propably paid enough tax to deserve it

4. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Auspm - since you posted this video I've seen a couple of other related videos, some with Ayn herself who I hadn't seen/heard before. Even though a few of us are in agreement with you I think you cut through a lot of the crap with respect to this twisted, misguided reason underpinning why people feel the need to advocate for the Government mandated system (particularly those who were around when the whole system was started). Feel free to correct me (I'm clearly a novice in this area compared to you) but people are confusing altruism for benevolence and thinking that "tough love" which teaches/encourages people to look after themselves is actually selfishness and evil.

5. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I couldn't care less that my mum hasn't got a cent to leave me, and I'm not even expecting any inheritance. I'll let the other siblings fight to the death over a few thousand. I'll care for her because she's a nice person.

My point was baby boomers attitude, they live by the "Me first" motto (and it shows when they say "I'll spend it all before I die"), then, in their latter years, they wonder what went wrong. Well, what went wrong, is their kids were good learners.

6. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Apologies john12. That was a bit of a generalised assumption - got a bit carried away.
    I will pull my head in now.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Misconception with the concepts outlined under Objectivism seems to be the status quo, here or anywhere else.

The problem with understanding the foundations and principles with the ideology stem not from the ideology itself, but with the way people try and force the concepts to fit in with their established standards and values.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuDZU-kSybE[/youtube]

Bad movie, but good analogy on understanding and appreciating the theory. You have to sweep aside what you've learned and been indoctrinated with as morality, values, virtues and other fundamentals before you can honestly appreciate what a mindset based purely on reason and objective reality as an absolute honestly represents.

It's a clash of fundamental ideology as much as anything, which is why most people dismiss it or misrepresent / misinterpret it. Basically it's a stinging slap to the face (ideologically speaking) on what we are taught is the moral status quo.

More to the point, humans still operate (for the most part) out of the lower brain (ie instinct), rather than stand on pure logic or reason. It takes people out of their comfort zone to question what multitudes already assume to be fact and they sacrifice their own judgement for the judgement of others.

All I can suggest is that you watch the series in my sig. It goes back to scratch on these concepts and builds from the basis of pure logic, reason and rationality as the only absolute, rather than emotionally driven ideals and learned doctrines.

It's neither political or religious and I think defines a far more pure and appreciable concept of reality.

More to the point, it casts a lens on the state of the world, WHY it is like it is and more importantly, where it's headed.

Objectivism is the only philosiphy that I could appreciate which polarised and made crystal clear the world I see around me, which is why I'm so passionate about it.

8. bordsilver

Thanks aus, I appreciate it. I'll make sure to look through that series (and start filling my cup with diet coke :p )

9. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

After reading all the posts on this thread, it has finally dawned on me why I should be a grey nomad and yet I am not. Why?

Is it because my dad use to always quote' A man who defies his charity to the day he is dead, is if you weigh it rightly a giver of nothing, as he has nothing left to give'.

My sons and I all know that there are tough times ahead and that if we all stick together, we might just make it. My father helped me a lot during his life and I have done the same for my sons and I continue to do so now while I can see them struggle to survive in a world where a lot of BB are indeed a pox on their offspring.

I go out of my way to be nice to young people..I have no time for old codgers who always think that times where tougher in their days and keep referring this theme to the younger generation.

I dislike today how everyone it seems, is put into groups. I believe that all the people living now in the same time frame should care about each other and not be enemies. Fast forward to the year 2100, Teenager talking to his dad,that generation that lived in 2012 were an odd lot, wern't they Dad. They were so greedy and self centered.

OMG, I must be going senile, I have just given some of my silver away to one of my sons! I guess I'll never get to be a grey nomad.

End of Rant :)

Regards Errol 43

10. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Don't consider myself an objectivist (because I've never really read anything about it), I've come at these kinds of ideas from a libertarian free-market perspective but if that's the general philosophy then I completely agree.

I often argue against so-called tradition.
    If something is good and it is tradition then it is good.
    If something bad and it is tradition then it is still bad.

ie. tradition has nothing to do with anything and everything whether traditional or not, has to be objectively and rationally studied.

An example is I remember, years (decades) ago, when I first heard of the concept of eminent domain. My first thought was that it was a crime and you can't force people off their property. It's funny how my parents, who taught me in general life that this kind of thing was wrong, went to all kinds of crazy rationalisations as to why the state could do it. And I've found that throughout my life to be the general way people look at the state. They turn off their moral centres when discussing it. Comes from childhood indoctrination I know, but it leads to cognitive dissonance and you see the consequent negative effects all around you in society.

EDIT: I don't believe what you should "sweep aside" your morals, values and virtues. I just think you need to apply them to the state. ;)

11. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Come on aus just pay your taxes like a good little sheep & do what every generation that precedes you have done & be thankful you were born in a country where you CAN make something of yourself if you try.

I dont understand why you think you dont have to do what others that worked a lifetime before you done . Are you special ? Incapacitated ? intellectually disabled ? if the answers to those questions are no then stop whining & do what most people in developed countries do .....work hard , pay your taxes & put a little away for a rainy day .life is simple its not easy by any stretch of the imagination but it is simple , you seem to overcomplicate it to your own detriment .

12. bordsilver

^^^ Good sarcasm reno.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ahhh you're a hopeless troll Reno, but you still make me giggle.

Oh well, may as well post it again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Times me ol' mucker... they do be a changin' since big guv handed you the world on a platter.

Not enough?

Some people out there know what the game is mate :
    Source : http://www.sovereignman.com/expat/young-people-get-ready-to-grab-your-ankles-3474/

I know you love to piss on anything I personally say because it's easy to hide behind subjective opinion and only rely on 'personal experience' as fact.

Meh, a Baby Boomer himself... George had your mindset summed up long ago.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Sal6N5OiE[/youtube]

I'm doing fine mate. I'll wait until your gen is dead and gone, then we can clean up the mess you leave behind.

I'm Gen X, we're used to it...

14. bordsilver

^^^ Great articles aus, thanks.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

The collection has come over time. I have to repost it every month or two as certain memories are short.

When asked to back the trollish condescension with independent fact or analysis, the retort is always the same... 'in my experience'

Yeah, whatever.

:rolleyes:

16. renovator

lol i know im a hopeless troll but i do enjoy myself having a bit of fun with you , your so easy to get all fired up & rerun a few clips for the gullible masses who want to believe your on the right track .

I like to keep moving not rerun shit over & over again & not move forward. That would be the key difference between us i would think your like a broken record & im playing a new tune whenever we cross swords.

If you spent as much time making money as you do trying to educate impressionable kids you would be a millionare by now .

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Why do I sound like a broken record Reno?

Because the facts stand and yet again, you cannot disrepute them - you ignore them outright and as usual, go straight for the man and ignore the ball.

Again right here and now, what is your counter point?

'Oh you're a broken record, at least I come up with new BS every time we debate!'

Awesome work there mate. *claps* Well done.

/facepalm

I don't cross swords with you Reno, you come unarmed and simply declare you win. It's honestly embarrassing.

'debating' with you is basically a Monty Python skit mate...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4[/youtube]

I hereby dub thee the 'Black Knight of SS'!

18. renovator

Ok heres some facts Statistics are general by nature & cant/dont apply to every individual .
    You repeat the same mantra over & over & think its right .

Internet statistics are skewed but you take them as gospel

What applies to some doesnt neccessarily apply to others .

Australia is a country where people want to come from all over the world because they CAN have a better life .

Enough ? or do you want me to write an essay ?

btw thanks for the knighthood i knew i would make something of myself one day :p:

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Dodged it again I see.

Admit it Reno, you cannot point to independant sources for info (beyond your own rhetoric) because you never had any to begin with.

This is fairly typical of your debating style though, although I wouldn't exactly call this debating you... it feels like I'm just kicking a puppy.

If you actually have something other than your own 'say so' to put on the table to counter, let's have it or let's just assume the obvious here (that you have nothing) and be done with it.

I can't debate content with someone who's debating technique amounts to nothing more than holding his breath until you believe his own experience is all the facts required to provide a counter arguement.

You might have done some interesting things in your day to get ahead Reno, but debating was clearly never one of them.

Give up and stop embarrassing yourself.

20. renovator

Yes your right debating isnt one of my strong points because it wont make you money unless your a politician.....maybe you could make a career change ?

I run on facts & real life & thats where you get your knickers in a twist because you read something & believe its true where as i live it & KNOW its not true .

ouch..... ouch .... stop kicking me ...I always knew you were the type to kick puppies.

Your real life experience amounts to nothing more than going to work as a wage slave & not thinking outside the box . For someone who prides himself on not being like everybody else you sure act like one of the masses. When i read your posts its like baaa baaa & white noise . Ive said it before & il say it again il jump on your theories & rhetoric time & again so the younger members dont get all impressed with your long winded posts that amount to nothing more than internet drivel that doesnt apply in the real world .

When you can give us an example of how youve tried & failed or succeeded at something i'l listen but you sit on your arse & type nothing that any internet warrior can goggle in a minute ..

Well its been fun but theres nothing that i or anyone else can type that will change your closed mindset that stops you from getting ahead . I just hope that not too many readers take it seriously & wind up staying a wage slave that your mindset will keep you chained to.