[OPINION] 1995 Variations: 1995MDST, 1995SDST, 1995LDLT

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by yennus, Jan 11, 2012.

1. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks Fish :)

Would be really fantastic if we could capitalize on those low American prices... I might need to go on an American Panda Hunt soon.

2. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Hah, I'll be happy to serve as a way point if you guys want to do some sort of group eBay buying.

3. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Ebay and paypal offer no protection for sellers unless you ship express mail which is $30-35 plus paypal still takes their % of the shipping and if it does get lost they still wont cover you because the only way they will is if it is signed for and received so if it is lost or even if it just takes a long time someone can file a claim get their money back and by the time it gets there you lost the coin and the money . I know because this has happened to me several times to Germany and i suspect they did receive the coins because when they got their money back in several cases they would not respond to emails asking if they received the coin yet , they got the coin and the money back.. You cant insure precious metals or jewelry through the us postal service either ( thanks to some large jewelry insurance scams from India and I am sure other places) and also to most countries I have looked into , technicly you are not allowed to ship coins, money , gold ,silver,etc. with express mail only express mail guarenteed which is through fed ex and starts at about $70.

I dont think it is narrow minded it is just being smart , better to keep your coins or get a worse price than risk losing it all. For the most part people are honest but it only takes a couple to ruin it for everyone . I used to sell a ton of stuff to Germany but after several bad experiences ( mostly having to do with 2-3 month delays with shipping and ppaypal claims). I have never had a problem yet with Canada or Australia so I will keep my fingers crossed but on anything over $100 I still have to ship expensive express mail. Yep the scammers are costing honest customers alot of money.

4. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I recibe a lot of coins with registered post usps but i cant track it inside argentina. 15 uss
    With registered deutch post or other europeans posts. I can track it. And the price is 6 euros.
    I buy a lot from ebay and i dont have problems with the shipping but always the seller put a low value to avoid steals.

5. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Sure, bad experiences are to be had, but I wouldn't rule out entire countries because of it.

Personally, I only ship to registered PayPal addresses and make video recordings of me packing the box.

Another option is third-party insurance.

6. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hello tamo42 & panda crew, please count me in if this ever eventuates, I will be very keen.
    Good example but not a panda = 400268709958 a 10oz 2000 dragon for under $500!
    Plus you guys are so well educated panda wise & trustworthy.
    Regards
    Garry

7. low

low New Member

Just asking, when you talk about MS69, do you also look into the toning, spots, edge knock, and other things. Do you also consider whether it has been conserved, cross over, or just submitted as it is.

Or do you take all MS69 as equal and therefore a single pricing is acceptable for all MS69?

8. yennus

In theory all MS69s should be worth a MS69... but yeah, a lot of collectors would value a white spotted MS69 as less valuable than a spotless MS69.

9. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I got a spotted PF69 :(

A few tiny spots but still... oh well got it relatively cheap :p

10. yennus

Technically there could be MS70s with whitespots too :) I wonder if their prices are affected by whitespots?

11. low

low New Member

Ouch! I will take one without whitespot.

12. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

I definitely value spotted coins less than non-spotted coins. I need a 1995 silver unicorn to complete my 1 oz unicorn set, and there was one going for auction on eBay recently - but spotted. So I passed. C'est la vie.

13. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Will/Should conservation stop or delay this ?

14. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Generally yes, but it's not guaranteed.

Once a coin has been oxidized, it cannot be undone. So conservation will not remove spots that are already there. The best you can hope for is that conservation will prevent their spread.

15. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I do this as well because I am picky, but it seems a mixed debate of how spots impact value and resale. Have you been tracking the sales of graded spotted? I only had one in my watch list.

2010 ms70. Went for $122.50 USD. An unspotted one sold earlier for $142.50. There was also a 2008 that was spotted but I guess I didn't have it saved in my watchlist. It ended within the same range as unspotted, so that somewhat surprised me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150732892523?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

16. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Nope, I don't follow them.

17. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

+1. After you buy your unicOrn if you saw other please say to me.
    The same guy have other 1995 withouth spots but i dont know the seller and the price is expensive.

18. yennus

Hmmmz... I wonder if NCS can improve on the whitespots, after seeing this article?

http://www.ncscoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=1403&1983-Chinese-Panda-10-yuan

"This 1983 Chinese Panda 10 Yuan silver coin was recently submitted to NCS using the modern coin tier. A thick haze was hiding the true surface of the coin. Such thick hazes are commonly encountered particularly with Chinese Pandas and can lead to a permanent and unattractive alteration to the mirrored surface otherwise known as "burning." This Panda was able to have the offending haze removed to reveal a bright flashy mark free coin that did grade with NGC. "

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. Marcusboy

Marcusboy New Member

Does this apply to gold coins or just silver coins only?
    Can conservation removed bad copper spots on a gold coin?
    I have a gold badly spotted (copper) and was considering sending for conservation.
    Any advice?

Thanks.

Rebecca

20. yennus

I think NCS can also fix copper spots... I hope they can :)