[NEWS] NGC Price Update

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by yennus, Mar 12, 2012.

1. low

low New Member

PVC contamination is real and it happens under room temperature.

I bought some coins in 1990 and they were kept in cheap PVC coin holder. The coins were kept inside a box for several years and I have since forgotten about them.

About 10 years later, I found the box again, the holder has turned oily with green stuff. Yuck! The coins were permanently ruined.

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think PandaCollector did a writeup on this PVC topic a few issues back in the Pricepedia. Yeah, I can attest that PVC can do some pretty wicked things to Pandas over time.

I think that keeping Pandas in PVC is fine under controlled conditions (low temp, low humidity, etc), but under normal conditions, the PVC over years can get oily and greasy.

3. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

I am not an expert in PVC, Metal expert or really anything else for that matter so I can only base my *opinion* on what I have personally experienced and seen with my own eyes

What I have seen is that many coins I and others have purchased that were minted from the early 80's until now were stored in OMP (PVC) and have remained in excellent condition.

For one example the 1983 gold panda set that I have in MS69 was stored for 30 years in OMP and of this 5 coin set I only had to purchase an additional 10 Yuan coin to get the 69 I needed to complete the 5 coin set.

Considering the large population of Modern Chinese Coins that are graded 69, this is a testament to me of how well they remain preserved in OMP *if handled/stored correctly*.

In my opinion if stored in a cool/dry place OMP coins can and will remain in good condition. In the case that low refers to, the room temperature storage is what was detrimental to the PVC packaging. In my case they are stored in bank safety boxes and I check them frequently. All of the OMP is in mint condition but these coins are kept in a dark, very cold and dry environment.

The problem with OMP is if you plan on handling these coins frequently then obviously there is the risk of damaging soft gold coins. Other than handling, proper storage is the primary concern for OMP coins and if this is done correctly these OMP coins should be fine for your remaining time on Earth :)

4. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Store it with the wines.
    :)

5. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

thor ... please put the wine bottle down and slowly move away from the table :)

6. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

A red wine is allways in my table
    Half bottle for night with the dinner. Its good for the heart.
    And more when i make barbaque. (i think is usa too like a good wine with the red meat)

Im going to a barbeque. I drink for both.
    ;-)