New Panda Has Arrived !!!

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by comeaux, Nov 7, 2011.

1. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Available Now 1 oz. Silver BU mintage of 30,000 !!!

60th Anniversary of The National Committee of The Chinese Financial Workers Union

Some people have varying opinions of commemoratives but I am definitely a buyer of all of these !

Think about it most of these have a mintage of 20,000 to 30,000 and these commemoratives have more cultural significance to a Chinese population of 1.2 billion need I have a better reason ! :D
    [​IMG]

2. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

Oww i was hoping to see 2012 panda :p

3. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Aaah... the numi 2011s :)

4. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Where, when & how much???

5. comeaux

I do not have all of the details yet however in the past commemoratives with mintage of 20,000 to 30,000 have been in the $175 to $200 range.

There are some on ebay but I will probably wait until a dealer I am familiar with has them.

Maybe yennus can get them since he frequents China.

6. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

I'm one of those who is lukewarm on the commemorative pandas. Yes, they are in the panda universe, but is the 10th anniversary of a stock exchange (or whatever) culturally significant? Meh.

Now the gilded expo coins have definitely shiny-factor, so I'm all on board with them.

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Agreed... feels a bit like they are trying too hard.

Next up, Panda commemorative coin for the inauguration of the dung from mao zedong's dog.

Still a nice coin though!

8. comeaux

I feel much better buying a 30,000 minted coin than a 6,000,000 million coin but thats just me ... the commemoratives have done well since their date of mintage.

Then again I am a collector of all pandas so I feel these belong in the collection ...

Whether we feel it is significant is not important ... the relevance is how many of the Chinese population view the significance, there is where the demand will be driven.

Besides as goldpelican said there is more to "collecting" than mintage or value :D

9. comeaux

Funny how we all view things differently as I own these gilded as well but they are not among my favorites ... personally I look at these along the same lines as the colored proofs, they are part of a collection but colors (gold, red, green or whatever) on silver just makes them look "cartoonish" to me :)

10. HustliN

HustliN New Member

So do you think these are worthwhile investments compared to say regular 1 ounce pandas, gold fractionals. How would they compare?

Thanks

Edit also are these like "omg got to have them like dragons" kind of idea?

11. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I think any current releases that can be purchased a issue price are always worth getting, As I say they are never going to be any cheaper ? If I could get one I would. Thanks for the pics.

12. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

It's not a bad buy, pretty little coin with low mintage.

The investor part of me thinks that the fractional Gold BU Pandas will have higher return and the collector part of me doesn't really have any feelings (good or bad) towards unions, especially Chinese unions... so I'm going to sit out!

Each to their own though, I definitely believe it's not a bad coin... not a clownfish anyway!

13. Dandan

Dandan New Member

Looks great. Gotta figure out how to get new release pandas at near issue price now lol

14. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

The gilding on commemorative Pandas is gold metal isn't it, not paint?

The 08 Beijing banknote printing, now that is one stunning coin. Nothing cartoonish about that one ;P. The Guangzhou 00 Expo is also amazing...

I tend to agree with Tamo on this one, not the best investment but the collecting of course is worthwhile, they are Pandas after all.

15. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Yes, it's gold.

The colored proofs (like 1998 colored pandas and colored lunars) are enameled.

I totally get where comeaux is coming from. Many of the commemorative pandas have done very well, and they are *relatively* low mintage. I'm just saying they just don't do it for me.

16. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

We said it first, he was just agreeing with us :)

17. comeaux

Yes you are right Rich ... you did point out something of importance that we all tend to overlook at times.

Thanks for reminding me of why I do this in the first place ... sure sometime off in the future for my son it will maybe be beneficial but I am truly in this for the "collectors" enthusiasm and enjoyment of it. :)

Recently there was a person on another forum who's mom had died (she was a collector) and while going through her safe they found 10 sets of bimetal pandas in pristine condition as the day they were minted. They are now very surprised at the value of these coins and will make a lot of money on them.

I hope someday when I am gone, my son will find that some of the coins in my collection are highly sought, valuable & that he will appreciate the time and effort I expended to put this collection together for him. I would hope he would be amazed and surprised as these other people were with their mom's collection.

Hopefully I am raising my son right with ethics and morals and as soon as I'm dead and gone he doesn't run out, sell them all and buy a bag of weed or something crazy. Hopefully he would see the value of what I built for him and take it to another level.

Maybe it's all just a dream, I have it all wrong and I'm way out in left field but in some way I see these thoughts as part of collecting. Something I derive enjoyment from but also enjoyment to those I leave behind.

18. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks Comeaux.

Yeah, I can get most of the commemoratives... here are some that are available below $200USD too :)

1x 2011 Aviation Commemorative
    3x 2011 HighSpeedTrain
    1x 2010 ShanghaiMint Anniv.

19. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

Speaking of new chinese coins, ordered one of these.

[​IMG]

Only 30,000 mintage, something meaningfull - 50th Anniversary of World Wildlife Fund, great looking coin.
    So many different anniversary coins out there, they seem to release one for absolutely every event that happens, makes it hard to pick the winners and those that are just hype and speculation (I suppose you could say that about panda's in general)

20. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I know exactly what you mean. I'm sure Tinky will hold on to most of your collection after you pass. My Pop is still alive and anything of his I'd hold for sentimental value. I won't have much, but I like to think 50 years from now my son will be showing some of my coins to his grandchildren and enjoy the wows they garner.