Mule Britannia! Royal mint Lunar Horse play runs astronomical prices!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by PhilDaSilva, Mar 9, 2014.

1. PhilDaSilva

PhilDaSilva New Member

http://www.coinweek.com/featured-news/pair-royal-mint-mules-spurs-speculation/

Ha ha, you heard it here first!!

From the above article:

However, those curious about the newly announced varieties might want to take note of the following According to Mint Spokesperson Victoria Newman, "The mismatched dies were used on approximately 17,000 Britannia and 38,000 Lunar coins."

Just got myself 5 of the Lunar Horse for 38 each, steep but only 38,000 minted and I hope the seller doesn't change his mind, if anyone has a 2014 Mule Britannia we may have to discuss in the trade section... You should see the prices they are asking on Ebay!!

E2A: More humour!

2. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

Boom.

Just checked mine, my lunar horses are mules (pun intended).

My britannias sadly are not.

I'm rich, rich I tell ya.

3. PhilDaSilva

PhilDaSilva New Member

We can hope matey, the mule britannias just went up to 100+ for 1 coin on the bay, no one seems to have jumped on the lunar horses yet, a certain coin company in london is grading the britannia mules and asking over 1k!!!

There are reports of some of the Britannias going for almost 2k+

How many you got Danny? Hope you got loads, though I think this is likely a deliberate marketing ploy from the RM tbh, how else would they know exactly how many mules were in circulation?

4. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

Sadly only a pair mate.

I'll leave them where they are until the dust settles and see what goes on.

I'm assuming they know how many by judging which dealers picked them up, they don't sell bullion direct. They knew pretty quickly how many mule 20p's there were too.

I personally doubt it's a marketing ploy, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Dan

5. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I have 5 Britannias. When I ordered two 2013's from a guy on ebay I got 2013 snake privy marked coins. I thought that was cool. Just checked my 3 2014's and I have one mule! Score!

Thanks for the post and letting us know about this :)

Chris

6. PhilDaSilva

PhilDaSilva New Member

Congrats Kendo, is nice to get 'summat for nowt' as we say in Yorkshire. I would hang ontp the one you have and maybe consider grading that coin as it may eventually pay a worthwhile premium.

Am currently trying to find out if anyone has a batch/delivery of mule britannias on ebay as most people have realised that they have them and are asking for the huge premium however there are still a few about that appear less well informed so its very much a case of 'Caveat Emptor' right now.

I will post on here if I find anyone on the bay that has some britannia mules (just ordered 2 from hopefully uninformed merchants) although I seem to have snaffled the last 5 lunar horse coins that were offered/pictured/negotiated/sold as mules with no silly/astronomical premium, sorry an that but am rather fond of horse burgers!! (the takeaways round here sell a few am sure)

Just seen a PCGS GEM Britannia mule at 450 on the bay, apparently the guy has 3 of them and some MS69's besides at a whopping 1199!!! :rolleyes:

I could almost justify the silly price for a perfect MS70 but an MS69 methinks some one is pulling the middle leg!!

Serious Prices for coins that only cost about 20 or so yesterday!! Biggest price mule britannia sold on the bay as yet is a measly 149 (non slabbed) compared to the above prices though I feel I have too much time on my hands to take notice of such arbitrary things, methinks its time for a metal detector to see if I can literally dig up something more interesting, surely the Yorkshire hills have summat more worthwhile to offer with all the history round ere!! (wanders off to order a mini handheld metal detector and hatches cunning stunt/plan).

Best laugh is that a certain (read cretinous ) coin merchant in London only noticed the Britannia mules when a customer asked/complained if the 2014 coin they purchased was a fake!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Triple Roflopagous!!

7. hobwell

hobwell New Member

Hurrah just checked my Horses and both are Mules.. I can't decide whether or not to sell one now and keep the other.

8. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

Same here, I have two.

Can't decide, there are none on eBay that I have seen.

9. hobwell

hobwell New Member

10. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

Lucky buggers!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2014-ROY...K_Coins_BritishDecimal_RL&hash=item35d30c6dd0

I have also seen a Britannia graded at MS69 for $2,210!!!

Jeez!

11. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

These are advertised prices, not sold prices remember.

I might sell both of mine.

12. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I would sell them now while everyone is trying to get one, plus the exact figures are unknown and pretty soon everyone who bought one will be looking at their stash. I learned the hard way. Sell while hot. Keep one for the collection.

Use the funds to buy more generic silver. You guys know about it go to the pawn shops who will probably not be up with the numismatic side and see what they have. Good win for all of you that have them.

13. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

As far as I can see, no lunar horse mules have actually sold on eBay as yet.

I'll wait to see what they go for before I decide.

14. hobwell

hobwell New Member

15. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

It seems so, although that would be easily done to promote other people into buying.

It's not widespread yet, I think now is a good time for buying, not selling.

I may be wrong.

16. martinl1983

martinl1983 New Member

i believe that horse seller would of been me if so sent this morning (like i said IF i was him anyways, im making a profit on what i paid, and also doubt that people will pay what is asked for them on ebay)

also i believe i have another 20 horse mules coming, since it stands to reason the (small, unnamed) dealer that i use would of brought all they at the same time direct from RM, so should all be mules *it was back in dec when i brought those just didnt get around to listing them until last weekend*

should be here end of the week or early next week, if they are all mules, after selling them than i will also try ordering britannias from them and see if there mules too (if not only using profits so worth the punt)

tho ofc since i now know they worth a bit more than they should be IF the next lunars be mules i will put the price up to 50 - 75, still fair(ish) to the buyer (the ones that want one anyways) will not being as bad as the 500+ guys

17. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

I would be first in line to purchase some from you. Only for my collection, I have nothing even approaching the unusual at the moment, so that would be way cool! :)

Let me know!

Cheers

18. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

put me down for one at that price good to have the unusual in the collection :) so yeah let me know to if that's ok ?

19. martinl1983

martinl1983 New Member

when they do come IF there are mules i will repost here and let you know,

20. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member