Milk spots bought new

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by lakes_8, Apr 11, 2014.

1. lakes_8

lakes_8 New Member

Hi all,

Would you expect to milk spots appear on new coins that you have bought 'new', maples, phiharmonics.

I was under the assumption that these spots develop over time, but i'm guessing i was wrong?

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Coins can arrive from the Mint with milk spots and a host of other imperfections.

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They may be 'new' but they could be sitting in storage for months developing le spot du lait.

Someone did ask to return them for non-spotted ones and he got the exchange no problem. Depends who you bought them off.

4. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Le spot du lait are added on purpose at the mint to drive up the value of le' proof versions.

They're added by Scott... he's a dick!
    [​IMG]

5. House

Scott le Coq? Ye he's a dick.

They've sold about 100m Maples in the last 5 years and every single one is predisposed to milk spots yet they keep breaking sales records year on year. Shows how good the market is for low premium bullion

There's a few methods to cleaning them in the link in my sig. How many did you get?

6. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

ehh, Jesus Scott why are you such a dick!

dont buy maples, they have to learn! they will still sell millions and they wont notice at all but its a silent protest, stand strong

7. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

I'm really curious, why is the specifically that maples get milk spots? It's also minted from the same .9999 silver that most modern coins are made out of.

8. House

Not exclusive to Maples, some Pandas, Philharmonics, Ferns and Lunar coins also get the milk spots too

It is a baked-in blemish from a cleaning detergent that is left on the coin, and is still present when the coin goes into a furnace to prevent it from being brittle,and it gets baked into the coin itself.

The problem has pervaded for 25 years straight and despite the infamous markings, the Mint really doesn't care as they're still making record sales for SML's, 6.4m sold in just Q2 this year.

9. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Ah so from a detergent. I guess this would explain the milk spots from new coins. But what about from coins that come without milkspots, but then develop over time in the containers? Even the containers without PVC? Sure all coins are prone to milkspots, but it seems that maples are more notorious for developing milk spots.

10. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Post production "developing" milk spots and stains remains a mystery.
    I can understand spots being a baked on stain if not rinsed properly before annealing but if a coin is clean then how can this develop later in time ?
    Maybe there are invisible contaminants that only appear later as the silver ages.
    For example if the virgin surface develops a molecular thin layer of oxide then perhaps it doesn't affect the silver underneath the "invisible when new" stains. These only show later because the oxides are not uniformally affecting the surface. If this is a plausible reason then it returns back to the mint who in their process are not cleaning the coins efficiently or the solution is used to many times before being replaced.

11. JoeFromNorthCarolina

JoeFromNorthCarolina New Member

I think The Perth Mint does the best job making coinage. I personally have never seen spots, milk spots, carbon/copper spots on my coins that i have ordered from them. Perth cares about there customers.

12. db23

db23 Member

This made me laugh.

13. JoeFromNorthCarolina

DB... I'm glad i made your weekend by a good laugh. I have been dealing with Perth for years, And have had no problems with them. No spots or problems with any coins i ordered. I did have a problem with a wood box for one of my coins that was cracked. I e-mailed them, They said no worry and they immediately sent me out a new one. The problem mints with the spots is mainly from the royal Canadian Mint. Especially the Canadian Wildlife series. It's a shame because it was a nice series until the problemed milk spots.

14. db23

db23 Member

I don't believe Perth cares about their customers at all. First evidence of this is the re-minting of kookaburras. They also wouldn't be aiding Apmex in cornering the North American market for their bullion coins. If a dealer in North America contacts Perth to inquire about becoming a distributor of their bullion coins, they are simply told that Perth is not interested in adding anymore dealers/distributors at this time. This has apparently been their company line for a while now. I take this to mean that they are perfectly happy helping Apmex gouge the American consumer and allowing for very little competition for them. Look at the Lunar 1oz coins, even the other authorized distributors of them receive very little in comparison to the tens of thousands that Apmex receives. Perth doesn't care about it's customers at all, especially YOU being in North America.

15. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Lot of Perth coins develop milk spots. Even ones slabbed and graded MS70. It is not isolated to them but to think they do not get them is bad information. Same thing with Pandas. I have the coins in hand to prove it as well.

16. swe_silver

swe_silver New Member

Milk spots on Perth Mint coins are very rare compared to most other mints. On RCM coins milk spots are very common.

17. swoydaz

swoydaz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do you know what it takes to become a dealer for Perth Mint by any chance?

18. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I have several tubes of each six Wildlife and none of my coins have any milk spots.
    I do believe however that some sellers buy the rejects cheaply and sell them on stating that this is a problem with all RCM coins.

19. JoeFromNorthCarolina

Well, I guess it depends on personal experience.

swe-silver, I agree...

20. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

You are right that's why I wouldn't buy any RCM coins at all,because they don't give a s--t about milk spots.