Milk spots bought new

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by lakes_8, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ultimacash

ultimacash Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have an ASE slabbed and graded ms69 through NGC and it has developed milk spots. Would that now change the grade of the coin or do i just say it is still ms69 however it has milk spots?

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Not sure it changes the grade as much as it will hinder the buyer from making the purchase. You'd think these mints would figure out how to prevent this from happening. I mean, isn't it a bit ridiculous that if a coin has a tiny spot it 'ruins' the value of the coin. Stupid. That's why my bro likes the circulated U.S coins like the Morgans...they have history and you don't have to worry about those dang spots. It's almost as though the spots add character and history!! :)

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looking at the bright side... at least those unique spots'll make RCM coins difficult to 'cointerfit'. :lol:

4. funman1

funman1 New Member

HAHAAH Now that's funny.... [​IMG]

5. ultimacash

ultimacash Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the reply and i am starting to think circulated is the way to go also. I have bought Perfect uncirculated Franklin 1/2's and sat them for 6 months or so just to receive the ugliest of toning. It usually effects the sale price however some people seem not to mind toning. I am not sure but maybe it is just where i am situated.

6. barsenault

Yeah, but I just can't get into 'boring.' It is for me, anyway. My bro loves the nuances of the same coin, and the thought of what historical significance the Morgan or peace dollar has. I'm in the U.S., and about the only U.S. Coin I'll be holding is the baseball one. Why? because I love the uniqueness of it. Just like the uniqueness of the varying pandas and kooks and lunar series. That's just me. I just hope, a) my methods of Storeage work and if they don't, b) that in 20 or so years when I retire, they come up with a way to remove those nasty white spots. Whoever does come up with this patent, without damaging the quality of the coin, will be a rich person/company!! Just think of all the people who would sign on to that program or solution!! :) and I'm currently TRYING to move away from silver and buy gold, but the silver coins coming out these days are so darn purty!

7. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

Just an observation,

almost everyone on here is big into Perth mint coins and I've only ever had 1 Bu dragon and 1 proof with an milkspot, I have never had a coin with problems from the other Aussie mint RAM,their proof coins in particular are fantastic quality.

8. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

Just wanted to make mention that I feel the 2014 Versions of Maples, and even the other bullion produced by RCM is getting better in terms of the milk spots.

In the past, I've had tubes come "fresh" with milk spots on the top coin when you open them (obviously I don't have time to go through every coin in every tube with the quantity I order lol), but on all of the 2014 products I've ordered and sold, I haven't noticed this, and others seem to agree with me (at least here in Canada).

That's not to say they won't develop over time...

But yes, OP don't worry about milk spots, it's normal for bullion. Now if this was a numismatic coin on the other hand, I'd complain too :).

9. barsenault

You must be from Canada? Defending that POS mint. LMAO. What about the wild-life series? They charge a premium for those POS coins, and every damn one of them have milk spots galore, and if they don't now, they will. Now, if they sold them at bullion prices, I wouldn't be so p'od at this POS mint, but they don't. And when one goes to sell a cougar or a bear or Elk, or wolf, or Buffaloe, etc...with white spots painted on the coin, all premium is gone...I know, I lived it...and have yet to buy a Canadian coin...the closest I came was the Superman, but never got them...thank goodness. I say all of us, minus WSD boycotts this POS mint. :)

10. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

when it comes to coins with milk spots, I reckon most collectors are lactose intolerant and gives them the $#!ts.

11. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

I'm confused. How much do you pay for these wildlife coins?

These actually cost less than regular American Eagles, and just slightly more than regular Maples

Just to give a comparison:

Whenever I do a groupbuy, Wildlife series were $3, American Eagles were $3, and Maples were $2 over spot (these are "the lowest" I've done them at).

Note, these are in CAD $, at current exchange rates, that puts it closer to $2.70 on the wild life and Eagles, and about $1.80 on the Maples in USD!

Currently, I can get the latest wildlife series (birds of prey) for about $0.25 cheaper than regular American Eagles.

I also have yet to see any of RCM's numismatic coins suffer the same fate as their bullion when it comes to milk spots...