Joe Hockey says rates cut reveals struggling economy

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by aleks, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't like the Liberals. They are just the best of a bad bunch. I just find it endlessly amusing that anyone can look at the record of John Howard and Peter Costello and then claim that Ruddard and Swan left the country in a better position.

2. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I don't think anybody has claimed that?

3. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The only real difference between the two is the sport's team like rivalry among their voters/fans. Libs hate labs because their lab supporters and vice versa. So long as everyone is distracted by this ingrained hatred for the other side, both can go about the business of screwing everyone.

4. Shaddam IV

The thing that I have noticed in politics is that Liberal and Labor both have the "you are either for us or against us" mentality and the Greens are "you are either for us or you are intrinsically evil".

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for good Labor MP's, If I had my way Labor would bring Kim Beasley back and run him for PM, he is a gentleman respected by both parties, I know that he is well respected by Abbott. I think that Anthony Albanese is probably a decent fellow, I admire Hawke especially as great PM, a trade unionist that understood how to negotiate with the business community. Keating did a decent job too. I think that really my deep dislike of Labor is in reality a deep distrust of the trade unions. I wish Labor would stop being a revolving door for Ex union heavies.

5. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

This thread seems to be moving into a "they did this, and they did that" argument.
    Take a look at this without your particular alliance glasses on and you will see IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO is in government, some of us or all of us get screwed somewhere/how.
    Bureaucracy is intent on using as many of our $$$$ as they can, Lib,Dem,Rep, Nat, Lab IT REALLY DOES NOT MATTER.
    When they get in power they all have their own agendas and to forward their agendas they NEED OUR MONEY to do it.

6. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

O.k so if Hockey is saying the economy is struggling on maistream media why ar'nt we seeing any talk of a recession???

7. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Because we haven't seen two consecutive negative GDP quarters

8. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Translation - They've managed to fudge figures just enough to avoid the 'R' word.

9. silverbait

silverbait Active Member Silver Stacker

Highest household debt in the developed nations league... 187% debt ratio per household compared to gross income of the same household and increasing. 2013 DECEMBER ABS figures!!! Joe Hockey is a joke when he urges people to BORROW more and invest. Invest in particularly what Mr Hockey? Open up? Bubble property? Falling mining? Uneducated useless education? Or basically making fool of yourself telling every sheep to go where I tell you to go? Slaughtering ?
    Im waiting curiously the coming budget... Australia is a headless chicken running at this moment. We ll see the outcome together. Lets hope the best

10. Shaddam IV

I like your signature.

I do agree, I was a little shocked to hear Hockey telling people to go out and borrow. I can see where he is coming from but he is about 10 years to late.

11. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

That sounds more like it!

And not surprising either??? :eek:

12. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

13. Shaddam IV

Hopefully what he had in mind was business borrowing and investment rather than personal borrowing but I have a feeling that he didn't.

14. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Business credit isn't amazing at the moment but Personal credit is flatline dead.

Personal Credit Other (not home loans) peaked at $154.6 Billion in May 2008 ($729 Bussiness credit) Business credit didn't peak until November 2008 at $779.5 Billion.
    Total of Credit in Billions on the left is Personal credit Other, on the right is Business credit.

From table D2 Lending and Credit Aggregates
    http://www.rba.gov.au/statistics/tables/xls/d02hist.xls

In May 2008 Investor housing credit was at $300 Billion, Owner Occupier Housing credit was at $650 Billion
    As of March 2015 Investor Housing Credit is at $499 Billion Owner Occupier, credit is at $950 Billion

One of these things is not like the other one

15. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

The day I discovered Joe Hockey was just an economics shyster was the day, at the peak of the dotcom mania, while addressing the local business chamber he espoused "build it and they will come!"

He is nothing but a cheerleader for whatever someone else is telling him.

With dotcom his advice was to throw caution to the wind. While in opposition against the profligate spending and insane economic management of the Rudd/Swan puppet team, his position was that of sage conservatism. Now, as risen treasurer of an empty treasury and a leading puppet in the new governmental team, he is parroting exactly the same line as Swan. Could it be because his is instructed by the same people?

Politicians are nothing more than personalities for hire and offer about as much authentic leadership, direction and insight as Kermit the Frog does!

Here, lets sympathies with the plight of our poor misunderstood, but hardworking career politicians who struggle to lead us to the promised lands of milk and honey.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpiIWMWWVco[/youtube]

16. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

And why do they make the assumption that so many families will save $750 per year on a 300,000K mortgage when the median house price is now around 500,000K if not 600,000K

When will they admit that thers a SERIOUS affordabilty problem???

17. dingobiscuit

dingobiscuit New Member

If they admit that there are serious problems then the arse will fall out of the housing market creating more problems and defaults on loans for those that overextended themselves. For those who are waiting to get into the market it would be a miracle but imagine the baby boomer's who have invested heavily in the housing industry through SMSF thinking the market is one big steady snowball. Who is going to prop up there pensions?

The fact that the Gov has even been talking about it and the RBA held off interest rate cuts in April should be red lights for anyone even thinking about purchasing at the moment.

As far as foreign investment..well it isn't going anywhere while the rules remain the same and are not enforced. There may be the odd token infringement but If I was investing in a country that had house prices 1/2 that of my home I doubt even a significant fine would mean much overall.