Is the crisis at the door?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by CriticalSilver, Nov 26, 2011.

1. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

2. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

I was thinking of this also, how to make my home "break in" proof !

3. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Well you want do it lying under a cocanut tree, drinking houch! ;)

4. Ernster

Ernster New Member

LOL come on now no need to be scared. Cautious sure, but Id hate for anyone to be reading forums or watching certain youtube videos and stay awake at night worrying over this stuff. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs of course, but I think its nonsense that we all need to go around stocking guns and actually be scared about the minuscule chance of things getting that bad here in Australia.

Yes its smart to increase the security of your home and having some savings is a good idea but to actually be worried about some mad max style scenario happening in Australia is quite silly I think.

Some people here love to live in their fantasy world of hiding in caves and having years worth of stock piled food, and buried gold and guns, I guess some people are trying to recreate their child hood or something. (no offense to those that do, I just don't understand that level of preparation for those that live here)

A little preparing is not such a bad idea but to spend all your money prepping or actually be scared over the future is going a little overboard for those that live in Australia at least.

I do think things will get a lot tougher for everyone, and maybe a great depression 2 is on the cards. Do what you feel like you have to do, but I just dont like seeing people worry too much about this stuff, especially when for the most part its out of our hands.

5. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Byron Post20..

Just google up club for people who use de firesticks!

Safety course, join a club, permit to acquire, licence fee, safety holding box.

That will set you back $500 here in Qld.

Then you get your firestick.

Regards Errol 43

6. errol43

The governments do not want young people congregating in times of depression particularly in the Major Cities. I can't even guess what they will do this time.

Last time in 1929/35, All single men would get rations dealt out something like this..2lbs flour, 1lb sugar, small tin jam, 1oz tobacco, 1 box matches and 4ozs salt. To get his you had to walk at least 30 miles to the next town to qualify for their next rations.

Thats where the swaggie really came into their own. So many men on the move, always looking for odd jobs at farms and outback stations in return for a feed or some more supplies.

I don't think todays youth would tolerate conditions such as those. Woolies and Coles would have to have armed guards on duty to stop the shoplifting..Thats not meaning any disrespect for todays youth..far from it..If I was in that position, I may well be tempted myself..

It wont take long for the Australian people to toughen up and realize that it was true That Life was not meant to be easy !

I really hope that everything turns out ok, but as time goes on, I fear for the worst and hope for the best.

Regards Errol 43

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I would be scared , go do some reading on the great depression of the 30's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression_in_Australia#1929:_The_storm_erupts

If you think there is a miniscule chance of things getting that bad here in Australia I suggest you go check out the family's that were recently affected by the overnight shutdown of the live export trade, the employees that no longer have work, the feedstock and transport workers that no longer have an income, the crew of the ships that no longer have a contract and all else that go's with it.

Then transfer the same effect to the rest of the Australian economy. Australia is already a two speed economy relying on the miners exports for actual movement forward, the demise of Europe followed by America will see China freeze and in turn us. Compound that with a government that has already spent any buffer it might have had to bail anybody out and banks that do not want to loan even to each other let alone anybody else in the current climate and it is only a small step from the current situation of.... well things dont look to good to..... OH SHIT.

People often mention Fundamentals when talking about PM's, basically we are about to be fundamentally fooked.

8. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I tend to agree with southerncross - and what's the worst that can happen if your prepare. You defeat inflation for a while and practice skills and get yourself prepared for a hundred crises that aren't a GFC depression etc.

I actually see Australia in the same boat as Canada and Argentina, and Argentina's collapse is a lot more like a collapse would be here I think than the Mad Max zombie hordes that the US preppers see.

This is an introductiin
    http://www.chrismartenson.com/blog/47085

and then have a good read of
    http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

ignoring all the firestick boys own stuff, there is good advice and a good description of how to live - live! not just stay alive, there's a difference - if the society collapses into a very polarised rich and poor.

One thing to keep in mind though is that 99% of people are fundamentally good hearted and will band together in adversity. We may be about to see the rebirth of community (and not the wanky council funded version!)

9. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Ernster - Your outlook is probably right and I really really hope that is how it all turns out but, You seem to be forgetting why we are all here as informed Stackers....... The present fiat money system the world uses is deliberately being manipulated and driven into extinction so they can enforce a new world currency by an ultra ultra elite organisation.... They have been prepping this for a very long time.

When the levee finally breaks (could be weeks/months/ or a few years) the entire world including, 'The Great Southern Land' that we all love so dearly will not be unaffected....... So, what position would you prefer to be in.... Prepared or Unprepared???

10. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

Me, I'd just go bush if the worst happened.

http://www.myplace.edu.au/TLF_resources/R11177/description.html

Lot of shacks went up and stayed for decades.

http://www.royalcoastwalks.com.au/sydney-coastal-walk-royal-national-park

11. errol43

Silverthorn... thanks for the pics of the hike.

When you say go bush, What do you mean.

!1. Become a coastal dweller and live in a cliff face cave and live off the sea.

OR

2. Take to the outback and live a nomadic lifestyle.

O

3. Pick a place like a national park with permanent water .

Not too many City dwellers have the knowledge or the willpower to make bush living a reality.

I hate to think that 1 million Australians would be wandering around the country trying to survive.

Regards Errol 43

12. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

little garie burning palms & most of the rocks around there were always good fishing spots a few years ago if anyone is interested

13. errol43

If there is to be another depression like 29, I feel that this time more people will suffer..

The difference being in 29, only a very small proportion of women were in the workforce. Today 40% plus of the workforce are women..There are certainly less children per couple to worry about. Big families are not the norm these days.

Another point however, is that the people lived far more simple lives in those days with food and shelter being the main priorities. Today we have many consumer items to make life easier and they don't come cheaply. The effect of people going without these items would surely bring depression of the human soul..No TP left honey. :)

The workforce of 29 consisted of a lot more manual workers. Today paper shufflers, screen watchers, money movers and financial gurus make up a lot of the workforce and then throw in the retail workers..Many of the soft jobs will be gone.

Lets hope it doesn't happen. Workers in Australia don't deserve a dose of industrial collapse. I hate to be the government in power!

Maybe. it might bring the true spirit of the Aussie battler back again.

If you want a secure job, get a job at the brewery..No one who worked there in 29 ever lost an hour.

Regards Errol 43

14. Silverthorn

Both of these I reckon. Living somewhere on the coast I doubt I'd starve but then I doubt we'll get that bad. I'd worry if I was young and had little behind me maybe.

15. hilaire9

hilaire9 Member

I plan on making my home in a hollowed out log and live on nuts and berries.
    I shall make a loincloth out of a ground squirrel's pelt.

16. Silverthorn

17. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

A good story silverthorn it shows the resilience of people doing what they need to do to survive

18. Silverthorn

bit tough at the age some of them are though they look reasonably well founded even without the buildings.

19. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

I thought it was called a BOOMSTICK :p

20. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just be careful of the BANstick