Investing in Oil

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by fishduck, Jan 7, 2020.

1. fishduck

fishduck Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I know this is a PM forum, but I was wondering if anyone was invested in oil (and/or natural gas) as well and if so, how is one doing it as it is a little different to investing in PMs.

What are you looking for when investing in oil and why are you doing so at the opportunity cost of PMs and PM mining stocks?

If invested in oil stocks, why would you do it in the midst of a possible upcoming market downturn?

Thank you

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Oil is on my radar this year. Principally for 2 reasons.

1. It’s expected that 1 billion people in the coming couple of decades are going to need access to energy as they are lifted out of poverty. Renewables are not going to be able to meet the demand, but low-carbon and carbon- neutral fossil fuels probably will , and it should i hope.

2. China has implemented a ban on the importation of scrap plastics for recycling. Instead they’ll import “fresh” plastic pellets.

Equinor is my principal interest in this sector. Just got no money ATM to buy anything.

harry_mr, sgbuyer and fishduck like this.
  3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

According to what I’ve listened to the industry average is about 80kg of CO2 per barrel of oil produced, the worst producers are at about 120kg per barrel so we need to drive those filthy bastards out of the market. Apparently Equinor’s field in Norway is down to 1kg per barrel!!!!!!!!

They won’t get that in The Bight but I think it shows both a commitment on their part to reducing their carbon footprint and a good indication of their technology.

These guys need our investments. And so does the planet.

Ivykoin likes this.
  4. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker