If you don't hold it, you don't own it......

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Jim4silver, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

not necessarily, any law that only benefits govt can be brought in almost overnight. anti-encryption laws for example.

2. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Many coin dealer sites used to (still do?) stoke the "confiscation" story. In some examples they were promoting slabbed US gold double eagles MS 64 and up, and claimed that they were not subject to any future confiscation because back in 1933 when they did the confiscation there was an exemption in the law for rare coins (I don't remember exactly how it was worded). Thus implying that the gold double eagles were somehow "rare" and would not be confiscated. They don't say that during the last "confiscation", those were the exact coins confiscated. LOL!

Back in 1933 the US dollar was "backed by gold" in that it was convertible to gold at the holder's request. Gold had a fixed value then (no comex, no daily market). I've seen different reasons why they did this, but in my view the gov needed to in a sense "print" more money and devalue, so they had to increase the value of gold to accomplish that. This was during the great depression by the way. Also this would benefit the US when other nations decided to convert their US dollars for gold, which they were still allowed to do until Nixon stopped that in the early 70s, even though US citizens couldn't do it after 1933.

So they first did the confiscation order, paying folks $20.67 per ounce turned in (the going rate then). After the confiscation, the US gov increased the fixed gold price to $35.00. That was after the order, so the citizens who turned in their gold got screwed out of roughly $15 per ounce.

US citizens were allowed to legally retain $100 face value of gold currency per person after the confiscation. That included men, women and children. You never hear the modern day confiscation pumpers mention that one. Since this happened during the depression, not many folks had that much anyway. The stories about safe deposit boxes being searched en masse is completely false. There were a few instances where the gov did go into specific individuals' boxes, but from what I've seen those people were under suspicion for specific offenses.

There is no need for any modern day gold confiscation because the dollar is not backed by gold, nor officially connected in any way. Besides, how many citizens in the US own gold coins and bullion? Guessing less than 5%? I imagine it is probably the same in Oz?

From what I've read, no one was ever prosecuted nor jailed for violating the confiscation "order" after it was put into effect. And even though there was an official "order" with threat of jail, etc, it was a voluntary turn in. There were not door to door searches for gold coins.

I don't know why the mention of silver being confiscated would even come up. Back then the coinage was silver and you could own as much as you could afford. Yet we see people talking about silver confiscation which has never happened.

PS Gold jewelry was not subject to the order nor confiscated. One gold dealer I knew told me he once bought a bunch of heavy, gold bracelets in 21.6k (the same as old us gold coins). The story was apparently someone had melted a bunch of their gold coins and made bracelets to avoid "confiscation" back in the day. He said they looked real ugly and nobody would ever wear them for fashion.

bron.suchecki and Silverling like this.
  3. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

confiscating Iraq gold and Ukraine gold are much simple, whatever after that is different stories
    confiscating Venezuela gold is as simple

gold storage is next on the line
    these are much easier targets with good volume

then the database of dealers, gov can easily have this thing, just like a license requirements etc
    then visit these address

4. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I believe with confiscation that one of the biggest inhibitors would be logistics. The cost of identifying holders of metal, locating it, testing it, moving it, storing it, compensating, etc would be beyond the government, think pink bats.

If it ever came to this, they could just as easily nationalise the mines and have more from identifiable sources.

bron.suchecki likes this.
  5. Ian Gillman

Ian Gillman Active Member

I have some plated fakes they can have if they want to confiscate something.

6. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

Looks like it has to go here, as my computer has been attacked & my NUM LOCK was disabled.
    I'm copping attacks on my computer trying to shut down my typing by closing off my Num Lock. good try suckers, but, I'm back. I won't tell you how, but you SCUM are amateurs. _JOHNLGALT.
    Italy wanted their gold back, but as in the U.S. they were told to go $%@#
    [​IMG]

sodl likes this.
  7. sodl

sodl Well-Known Member

The queens head again.

I bet ya that is Aussie gold that has been melted down and recast.

8. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Edda the pug got confiscated and auction off for less than US$850 in Germany

9. JOHNLGALT

10. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Or is it more likely you need a new keyboard? You stupid twit

11. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

Doubt anyone would bother. Probably a bit of dribble or food caught under your numlock key. Or it had a seizure reading your posts.

Stoic Phoenix likes this.
  12. JOHNLGALT

"Probably a bit of dribble or food caught under your numlock key. Or it had a seizure reading your posts."
    ????????.
    Do you mind if I just ignore
    your obvious Paranoid Post. I think your avatar name says it all. LOLOL, he he he ha ha ha. That would be _JOHNLGALT ((as in John(L)Galt)).
    Just another MORON to ignore.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  13. l***g

l***g Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Stoic Phoenix, GF and Yef like this.