I wish I never bought silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by BootyBandit, Jul 9, 2012.

1. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

3. Guest

Guest Guest

. + 1

4. Metal Magnet

Metal Magnet New Member

That would be awesome, so I can metal detect it in the river. Seriously tho, silver is like any other investment. do your due diligence.

5. damien192x

damien192x New Member

This is dumb. The best investments are the ones that are acquired when they are going down, because the intelligent investor has the ability to look ahead and see higher prices in the future. If you want to listen to the pack, go ahead. Every time the pack get into something the majority end up losing, it gains momentum and then everyone gets greedy and piles in right at the end. Bang. Gone. USA Real Estate Anyone? Tech Wreck? 87' stock market?

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I totally agree , most people go with the heard .
    I prefer to stand back & watch the heard get slaughtered :lol:

7. damien192x

damien192x New Member

It is very frustrating though, especially with family. At 20, I was being told to take out a mortgage for a house. I kept saying housing would lose steam, and they kept mocking me, and yeah, in 2010, the prices shot up, but now these people have gone quiet as reality is sinking in that there really is no upside left.

Don't tell other people what you are doing with your $$, it's none of their business anyway. I just tell people the place I rent is mine so they shut up!! I think it takes courage and conviction to stand by your investments, but after watching 5 possible opportunities that I would have acted on if I didn't listen to other people, I've decided to back myself as a winner and just put my money where my mind is.

Unless the person giving you backseat advice is wealthy, why would you even listen to them. Do you want to be where they are? Poor/in moderate debt/hold an illusion of wealth in a house that will evaporate when everyone tries to sell @ the same time? Pff.

8. MsEd

MsEd New Member

It's only a loss if you sell, otherwise it's only a paper loss. Metals are for the long term, what goes up must come down and vica versa

9. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Can't fully agree. My experience has been that backing your own judgement can be disastrous when an asset is declining in price. I'd argue better to watch any asset declining in price that you favour. Wait for good evidence of a turn in price, then deploy part of what you want to invest. Then keep adding if it rises, or at least shows good potential of a bottom. A stop loss in mind can be a good idea too for the case where the item starts to reverse back down.

Conversely, I've missed some good buys of shares that had already significantly appreciated in price and were still rising. I didn't buy because I'd already missed a lot of gain.

A bit relevant here, the adage, "the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent" - or something like that.

10. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lehman brothers must have thought the same thing... :/

This flawed philosophy is often used to rationalise and excuse an investment mistake.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]

I like the odds myself.

Mind you, this chart had silver purely as a monetary metal for a very long period.

Thing is with silver, people can often get confused with it's relationship in the economic climate and it's role as an investment commodity.

Apart from the fact that it's current 'price' is reflected through 100:1+ leverage, or that we've destroyed well over 90% of above ground stocks, I'm going to say I'll stick my my convictions on the metal and stick around for the long term.

Unlike many who are simply looking to anticipate the next market wave or stage of the cycle and want to jump out of metals before they even really begin to take off, I'm absolutely convinced that there's honestly no other place to go.

In a world flooded with fake prosperity and grand illusionary wealth, Silver is something tangible that I can hold in my hand with no 3rd party counter risk and a very long history.

Speaking purely from a realistic, fundamental perspective, there's no other place to put your wealth in the world IMHO (beyond arable land) which can even hope to compare with the security provided by precious metals and whilst the banks quickly secure the Au supplies above ground, I get a very distinct impression the white metal is yet to have it's day.

But it requires a fundamental thinking approach to appreciate the concept and courage to stand by your convictions if you've done the research (which I have).

Less than 2% of society (including the biggest market players) have physical precious metal holdings at all. I recently heard an analogy that certainly made me think hard in that if there was even a jump in demand to 10% of the population, that demand for physical would be like forcing Hoover damn through a garden hose as those holding (soon to be) worthless paper assets fly to safety.

The only money internationally recognised in history is gold & silver.

Place your bets as you please by all means, but if rampant market manipulation is what frightens you, then you're honestly not ready to be here and should consider getting out.

But for me? There's absolutely no place I'd rather be and I sleep very well at night because of that decision.

12. picturefun

picturefun Member

One major factor for silver price is the inflation or deflation. So far, with debt bubble burst everywhere, it is the deflation. But with all the printing going on all over the world, sooner or later the inflation is going to hit hard. That would be the time for silver price shooting up.

13. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Wherever did RomanControl go?? I'm sure he could've told you.

I've looked everywhere for the 'illuminati'. Truth is, they died out in the 1700's. The only people who believed in them as a worldwide conspiracy are kooks like David Icke, Alex Jones and oddly enough the Serbian/German Nazi movement with their Worldwide Jewish Conspiracy craptrap.

As someone on Silverstackers who has 'illuminati' jibes thrown at him from time to time due to my membership of community and fraternal organisations - I'll tell you now that they give you nothing in terms of financial gain. In the last 6 months I have spent 6 weeks unemployed, and have took some major hits to my financial security.

Guess what saved me from going hungry? Controlled selling of my stack. Mainly jewellery, but some bullion. I don't buy metals to get rich, merely to get my cash out of the bank and into something physical that I can sell in a pinch, and mobile to the point where it is acceptable as payment worldwide.

Plus the fact, well... I'm a gipsy, of course I like gold. :D

14. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

why do you want to like gold?

can't you just like sun light or moon light... :)

air water or rocks, etc gems...well it all go back to the third rock.

15. Willow

Willow New Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    LOL nice.

16. Stedlar

Stedlar Active Member

Well I for one have discovered a sure fire way to predict the price of silver. I just made another purchase, and in keeping with all the other times, the price is going to dip a little.

17. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Will wash the car tomorrow and I bet it will rain.

18. snarfdacat

snarfdacat New Member

Silver and gold have been demonitized across the globe for the first time in history. I think its hard to compare pre de-monitization era gold to post because the masses dont see it as money the way people did when every coin, every transaction, every deposit was made in precious metals.

The size of the population is also a big factor IMO. Unlike history the supply would not be enough to work as barter at current prices. You would have to inflate its price. Which is what people who speculate on it are banking on. However if some even were to happen where it would be inflated in this way, I think wed have bigger problems in the short and medium term than having enough silver to barter with. You cant eat the stuff. And would good is 1000 ounces of silver if a loaf of bread is inflated to 100 ounces? Like any time in history the haves will have the advantage over the have nots. And we have a much larger spread between haves and have nots nowadays. What good is silver to the starving people that wallow in mud pits in africa?

We tend to read history books and assume we all fit into what we read. But history is usually written about the well off people with slight mention to serfs. I think in a SHTF scenario we would find that a lot more of us would be serfs than we think even with large(relative) hoardes of silver.

Cliffs...I dont think silver and gold are money anymore. I think food and power would be the only real money and in a real SHTF event guns and ammo will rule supreme until reconstruction.

19. silversardine

silversardine Member

Nope - these are not long paragraphs. The general rule is several sentences on one subject make a paragraph.