I JUST TOOK A 250.00 GAMBLE ON THIS COIN 1999 SERIF LD PCGS MS69

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by jc888888888, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

AM I AN IDIOT ,OPINIONS PLEASE? WHATS MY CHANCES AT NCS?????? I NEED COMFORTING:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Dude, IDK. That looks a lot like the stuff they told me they can't remove and ended up buying the coins from me through their guarantee.

Hard to believe all of that developed in the holder too.

3. jc888888888

I was afraid you where going to say that my friend:( I had 2 minutes to decide, gamble 250.00 or pass, friggin coin could be ms70 at ngc ,i just couldnt resist........ im screwed :) any advise is appreciated................... thats around a 5 year old holder.......... so stricter grading standard at pcgs then ,i dont know what i was thinking:)

4. heyimderrick

Might as well go for it now that you have it. It'll be a good experiment. The worst case is that it comes back "details graded" but maybe a little better looking and in a nicer holder.

5. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Yeah, might as well send it in. Or just try to cash in on the guarantee.

6. heyimderrick

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Wow wtf happened to that panda...

KFC fingers :\

I'd take the PCGS guarantee... hopefully they give you $1000 :D

8. jc888888888

Fish ,the guy I bought it from had owned the coin for 4 years it was perfection when he bought it , One side of me says try to pocket the guarantee ....:) i paid 250 ............ if you get past the milk spots it is a smoking nice coin.....details in the rock, stairs,date etc ,the coin has a great strike , it will grade ms69 at ngc ,but with milk spots it kills the value................ it is good to talk to you guys .............maybe I try to get pcgs to go for 250 and let me keep the coin:).................. then the experiment is on! the thing that does not want me to let go of the coin is the rim is sweet usually you see hairline stuff in the rim which keeps it away from 70, i appreciate the wisdom............

9. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

If you can keep the coin and get the guarantee, definitely send it in to see what happens!

10. jc888888888

update, just called pcgs, I have to send coin in to them 60 business day turnaround!! David hall who is the founder of PCGS is the only one who looks at these guarantee submission coins 25.00 fee too.......... keep you posted

11. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow! ... condolences...

It would be interesting to see if NCS could fix it up though :)

12. heyimderrick

You won't get the coin back, so choose wisely friend.

Pocket some cash through the guarantee, or send your furry friend to NCS.

I'd personally send it to NCS if money isn't much of an issue. I'm much more interested in seeing what they can do, and having the coin (even if it isn't the prettiest).

I actually have a 1994 that is in similar shape (actually far worse) that I hope to send in eventually when $ permits again. When I get home tonight I will try to remember to photog it and show you.

13. jc888888888

thanks guys ,thanks for the condolances yennus:) but i bought the coin clearly knowing what it was @250 figuring it has to be worth melt:) and if I could fix it, I hit a home run , at the time i bought it I did not think of the guarantee so i have my fellow stackers to thank for that !!! Here is the details of the conversation with PCGS , send coin ,pay 25.00 guarantee submission is what they call it, the customer service rep who was knowledgable said they would try to fix it ,they have in house conservation guys..if they cant, David Hall who is the founder of PCGS is the person who looks at the coins and determines the outcome ..usually what happens is they regrade probably down and pay you the difference (based upon dealer prices not retail) and you get the coin back.At any rate they call you with the determination before they proceed ,so it does not sound to bad to me ,if I get some money back and the coin, if it is downgraded a little bit, I can always pop it out of the holder and send it to NCS...and see what happens..... the bad part is 60 business days ,well I have no choice but to send the coin in my mind..... any thoughts?

14. heyimderrick

Specify that you want the coin to be returned regardless of the new grade and make sure they agree beforehand.

In my experience with NGC, they have never returned the coins downgraded. Their guarantee states a similar scenario where they will conserve if possible, downgrade, then pay the market difference. However, in 6 of 6 cases (all pandas), they have simply reimbursed me for the full value and have not returned the coins. In one instance, I even requested the coin be downgraded and returned as stated by their guarantee and they told me the "cleanest" way to handle the guarantee was to reimburse only (they have the final say in how they will honor the guarantee).

Hopefully PCGS will be a bit more considerate of your request.

15. Catseye

Catseye New Member

How do they determine the "full value"? I'd hate to send in a $200 coin and have them cut a check for $150. :/

16. heyimderrick

On the NGC form, you declare the current market value. Basically, the price you'd have to pay to purchase the coin in whatever grade it was from a reputable dealer or on the open market. Obviously if you declared some far-fetched value they'd probably question it.

17. heyimderrick

Here's some pics of that 1994 I was talking about. Came out of original capsule like this. IDK why I bothered, with it being so ugly. Paid $84 USD for it, so not quite the money you put on the line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. jc888888888

Thanks Heyimderrick, pcgs says on the website "dealer prices" as far as value, and I am going to take your advise ,attach a letter ,to the submission form clearly stating no matter what I want the coin back..............
    so since we brought this up WHAT IS MARKET VALUE ON A PCGS MS 69 LD SERIF 1999 for the submission form, every time i look at that coin i get a belly ache....:)

19. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Good lord that looks like hell, I am still looking for before and after pictures of ncs cleaning wondering what something like this looks like after. So many of my panda have this white stuff as well, I dont think any this bad though. Hopefully it can be cleaned . Thanks for the pictures.

20. heyimderrick

When I get around to sending this in I will post pics of the after results. Not sure that all of that will come off on either coin, if any.