I HATE selling!!

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Naphthalene Man, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Not just the fact that you are reducing your stack and increasing that vulnerable feeling, but the organisaton cr@p that goes with it. Give me the organisation cr@p in my regular job any day.

Big clap to all those dealers that choose to do this. I genuinely admire you and you can feel confident that i definitely won't be starting a new online business to compete with you.

I found the whole 'what is this coin worth' a drama. Not want to rip myself off and offer what i thought a fair price only to find
    a) i get stacks of lowball offers,
    b) spot moves and competitors prices do leaving mine stranded on a tall exposed rock flapping in the wind when i'm unable to get back online for a day or so
    c) whingers on SS crapping on about high prices, unrealistic wants, sellers should be selling at loss, etc etc.
    d) difficulty keeping temper in check when dealing with (a) and (c) and wanting to punch them through the screen
    e) confusion about patience of retailers if you are offering stock less than they are selling yet no-one is interested at all with certain items.
    f) stress about items arriving in same condition as you posted them
    g) stress about getting to work late so you can visit the local post office because the one near work will not register the item (hence immediate tracking) despite you paying (and arguing) for it

I found this a frustrating experience and underquoted the postage nearly 95% of the time (approx) - yes i am officially a stupid idiot.

Thank you to all who have PM'd me stating that you have received your items.

I think that when i'm back buying in a few weeks i'll be sticking to bars and selling around spot to dealers instead of going through this again. I know that i'll be out of pocket but, geez, i don't know how you lot do it.

I think i'm tired.

Thanks for reading this drivel

2. Garnet

Garnet Active Member Silver Stacker

As buyer of some of your coins I was more than happy with your prices and service. I just cant believe you were getting low ball offers. I mean WTF do buyers expect!

3. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

Lots and lots of D

4. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

As am I - agree with everything Garnet says.

I managed to get out and collect mine today - many thanks :D Fair prices, great friendly communication, secure fast postage - you had it all covered there.

Don't let them get ya down mate.

5. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

So why do it in the first place. Why not just stack it and keep the day job. Simple.

6. Naphthalene Man

Needed the money and the day job couldn't get that much in the short term. Simple.

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

All I can say is the people whinging about 'high premiums' etc haven't really sold enough to know how turtling hard it is :/

Nowadays I just take it to the PM and deal with private sales/buys. Can't recommend people like Maggie highly enough.

No bullshyt!

8. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Oh I see, big bird made it look so easy. Yes every one to his trade, ah.

9. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I sympathise with you NM ... must be frustrating to try and sell all those coins / bars at one time.

... but with spot regularly dropping so low at the moment (and people expecting it to drop lower in the short term), is it any wonder that things aren't selling as quick as you like ?

However we are still seeing things sell quickly here if they are priced 'right'. And the prices here seem to be a little better than ebay is currently achieving (after 7.9% ebay fee and 2.9% paypal fee).

Guess it all depends on your approach - whether you want to move something quickly or have the patience to sit and wait.

10. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I kindda agreed with AU.

The things are not selling as quickly because i think it is more like a mind game, imho.

When the spot is low, some people tend not to buy because they think that the spot will go lower and they try to go in at lower point.

When the spot starts rocketing, people then rush and dive in because they are afraid that they will miss the ride.

I was one of the silly goose, not purchasing enough when the spot at $27 back then. Now I learnt my lesson. :)

11. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I think we are all getting softened up (or conditioned) with these regular end of the week market drops in time for the weekend .. been happening quite consistently the past couple of months now, so now start to anticipate it.

The problem is when it rises during the week .. people prepared to sit and wait until the next Central Bank programmed 'drop' in POS to buy.

And worse .. if it jumps all of a sudden .. Psychology 101 takes hold .. .I dont want to miss this .. must buy now.
    Sadly, generally it will drop again within the next couple days.

Someone is making money off this market behaviour .. just not us :)

12. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1
    lately when Federal reserve opens the talk, au/ag spot drops its pant immediately :D

13. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes I'm not looking forward to being on the other side of the trade as seller. I've also had doubts about the semi-numismatic and 'interesting' stuff I've bought (commemorative sterling coins, proofs, sets and such) that I know bugger all about but will want my premium back. I might need a middle man

14. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

A little bit of me dies every time I sell even an ounce.

15. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I won't lie, I can't think of a time that I've sold that I've had a real issue?

Lowball offers? A simple "No thanks" will give them the idea
    Spot changes? Nature of the investment, no need to stress about it
    Postage? Platinum express only and buyer wears the risk

16. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Double standards. Everyone is guilty of lowballing.

When you start a new job it is expected you don't know everything nor the rundown.
    Stacking metals is no different to starting a new job or hobby, practice makes perfect.
    You learn about the lingo, stock, itinerary, prices and customers/clients.
    Everyone goes at a different pace.

17. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

@ Naphthalene Man

could it be due to your username?

people who knows and collect numis would not go near naphthalene. it will cause their silver to tarnish.
    so if you are Naphthalene Man, there will be a lot of this stuff laying around at your place :)

18. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

I sympathise ,NM.I am not getting lowballed or any kind of mess around ..just hate to sell at any time.

But needs must.. hope your pain is shortlived :)

19. Naphthalene Man

Thanks, all good now. I have the money that i need hence will be back buying soon.

alor - no naphthalene at my place. My silver is perfect!

I was just tired and 'emotional' last night. Have been burning the candle both ends with work and other projects going on in my life. A good night's rest did me wonders.
    Cheers

20. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

I'm in the same boat as napthalene man. I hate it too. So much easier without premium princess prices.

When I have sold Ive received below spot offers and its a pain in the arse responding to them. Perhaps you draw the line in a different place than me (spot price). I dont know if what one guy thinks is lowball is the same as the next guy. So you can't really take it as a personal insult.

What I see here is the difficulty in selling premium. There's no problem selling gold and silver.
    They sell themselves