HOW TO INVEST USD 13,000 IN SILVER

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Dr, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Dr---Correct.

Edit---Didn't say it above, but in addition to the liquidity concern... I think it's best to go with a diversified and balanced stack. Maybe about 1/3 govt-issued 1oz coins,
    1/3 private mint-issued bars (10oz max) and rounds and 1/3 higher premium "semi-numis" stuff (with the emphasis being on smaller pieces there--not kilo coins).
    Whatever the vagaries and tides of future popularity trends may be, you'll always be in the middle of the road if you're diversified+balanced and you won't be at risk of
    sitting on top of a large pile of one particular kind of thing which the market is no longer in love with and which has become hard to sell. That's why there's a lot to be
    said for ASEs--whatever anybody has to say about them, you can always sell them (in my experience, for at least $1 over spot).

2. Dr

Dr New Member

Good point, of course, always have both gov. and private mints. As we are in Europe now, maybe we buy one moster box of Philarmonics, a good under-rated coin, well known in Europe. Maybe next month we bay a monster of ASEs.

I don't understand your point about Platinum. Silver is 70 times cheaper now, with a supply and demand of 1B oz per year. OK, Pt has a supply and demand of 8M oz per year, but silver reserves are being depleted at a quick rate. By contrast, Pt is recycled, so is not being depleted. It is estimated that every person in the first world consumes around 0.4 oz silver per year just in technological apps. The population is increasing... Do the maths... In the future, maybe 20-30 years, silver and Pt can have the same price, or maybe silver will be more expensive than Pt. Why not?

3. Dr

Dr New Member

OK, then this is like "How to take a girl to your home and bed". - Go to a pub, talk nicely to a girl, invite her to your home, make love with her in your bed.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

In my view, it all depends on why you are buying silver coins. If as an investment to sell later when value is up then I would say your first suggested set of purchases are fine. If you believe that the currencies of major countries will collapse and you want an asset to buy to be used in a post currency-collapse world, then why not just buy the lowest premium silver blobs (non-denom bullion bars) available and skip the higher premium coins.

Personally for me, my strategy as a relatively new stacker is to diversify. Sort of like not putting all my eggs in one basket. I have a small amount of blobs, a small amount of bullion ASEs, a small amount of higher premium coins, etc.

5. Dr

Dr New Member

I don't believe in semi- or numismatic coins. Two reasons:

(1) In the future, due to silver depletion, the silver content of the coin will be rarer than the coin itself. The real premium will be on the silver content, not in the design.

(2) If spot price increases, always you get more profit from low premium silver. For example: if you buy now 1 Maple at $20, and in the future the spot price is $40, you get 100% profit. However, if you buy now one numi at around $60, when the spot price is $40, maybe you can sell it at $80, just 33% profit.

6. RMP

RMP New Member

Yeah, I agree and at these low prices I prefer the best bang for my buck. Right now that seems to be Sunshine Minting rounds locally. I'd like to sell my Grizzlies when I could get 2 Maples for each Grizzly sold (That can't be too much to ask can it, you can buy 3 maples for the price of a wolf lol). This is why I feel the semi-numi play could pay off and net you more ounces down the road. Total ounces is what counts though.

7. Dr

Dr New Member

Then, in accordance with my previous post underlying the importance of avoiding semi or numis, and assuming financial correction is coming sooner or later, an intelligent way to invest in silver should be the following:

40% of investment in 1 oz rounds, with the lowest premium
    1/2 from gov. mints
    1/2 from well known private mints
    These coins would be swapped after financial correction for fiat at higher prices, food, or other services, for the daily living.

40% of investment in big silver bars, with the lowest premium
    1/3 in 100 oz bars
    1/3 in 5 kg bars (167 oz)
    1/3 in 15 kg bars (around 500 oz)
    These bars would be swapped after financial correction for land, properties, ...

20% of investment for other silver stuff I like
    1 kg coins, few semis, 10 oz coins, ...
    This stuff is just to play with it and swap after financial correction for other valuable goods, or just keep for decoration.

Financial collapse or not, at least 20% of all silver will be retained to pass to next generation.

8. Mjduzane

Mjduzane New Member

I would personally take $5k right now and invest it into silver then i'd save the remaining $8k to see what happens with QE. I believe that when QE stops (which will be later this year or next) stocks will drop and so will the price of silver. That's when i'd invest into some stocks or buy more silver.

9. Dr

Dr New Member

Do you really think QE is gonna stop? Never trust what FED says...

10. Dr

Dr New Member

A big correction in stocks is coming soon (this year or next one), regardless QE.

11. Mjduzane

Mjduzane New Member

Yes i do think they will stop. You can expect a correction in stocks, and you can expect silver to drop more when the fed talks about tapering.

12. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Kooks, lunars & pandas are the best silver money can buy in my opinion.
    They save you from large drops in spot. Last month I was selling kooks at $36-$40, they have allowed me to weather out the silver storm without taking any kind of financial hit.

What would have happened if I had low premium Silver instead? I shudder to think about it. Each to their own, but with taper talks around (most likely next year now) it would be a brave man to put a hefty amount of money into low premium bullion.

13. Dr

Dr New Member

In a bearish market, the best investment is not semis neither numis... the best investment is don't invest. In bullish market after the bottom, the best investment is low premium silver. I demonstrated you previously in my post.

14. Aureus

That isn't fact, my kooks were bought when Silver was $28oz. I bought them for $32oz, now with spot at under $20 I sold some for $40oz.
    Saved me from the fall in price and made me money on top of that.

Each to their own, bars have their place in a stack but i'd never hold a significant amount over semi numismatics.

15. Dr

Dr New Member

Maybe that worked for you with few ounces. But I'm afraid that doesn't work with high amounts of ounces (+1,000). Not worthy the effort. As Abraham Lincoln said: You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

16. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Obviously there are a lot of differing views here.

Clearly from reading comments over the past several months here, some people don't care what price they are paying for silver blobs (bullion bars) or coins while others are very regimented about trying to predict when the lows will be in and buy at the lowest price point they can.

Bottom line: do lots of research, determine why it is you want to buy silver, and then make buying choices accordingly.

If you do this, you will come to the best choice you can for yourself at this time.

17. Aureus

So that's it right? dismiss the facts by calling it a 1 off? that's intelligent.
    Been in the game a long time, it's pretty rich to dismiss what works when you're new to the game buddy.

18. Dr

Dr New Member

I'm new to the forum, not to the game, buddy

19. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey Dr, do you know Bamaguy? Is he a relation of yours?

20. Dr

Dr New Member

I know a smart guy called Bama, maybe is the same one, or maybe not.