How out of the question is space mining for gold

Discussion in 'Gold' started by BootyBandit, Aug 13, 2011.

1. BootyBandit

BootyBandit New Member

Since gold is created by a supernova star exploding in its final moments of life, how out of the question is it to simply send a space vehicle to collect the gold that is formed from that which is just drifting around in space waiting to be looted, would this cause the price of gold to drop? or increase?

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

We're centuries away from such an enterprise being profitable.

3. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Perhaps in 100's of years but it is not something I am concerned about at the moment. But yes long term I would say it is highly likely we will have 1000's of drones scattered everywhere in the Universe gathering things of use for Earth, or alternately we will just shift to other planets and use their resources up like we are currently doing.

4. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

if a star goes supernova you dont want to be anywhere near it ....

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

If you're into scifi, read Kim Stanley Robinsons's Red Mars / Green Mars / Blue Mars trilogy. Written in the 90s, but s very plausible futuristic view of how Earth would deal with catastrophic economic and overpopulation, combined with the commercial exploitation of a newly colonized Mars.

Also has some interesting political/cultural themes of how a new civilization would emerge from such colonization - bit of "pushing the reset button" on Terran political and economic structures.

Anyway it goes into the mechanics of how space could be exploited for mineral resources.

6. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Would be cool to be a space pirate :p

7. systematic

If you are into maverick history scholars and researchers read Zacharia Sitchins "The Twelfth Planet" that is based on ancient Sumerian cuneiform tablets. These tablets were held in a Berlin museum for decades until they were able to be deciphered. Scholars are working on a "sumerian dictionary" so anyone with the time and aptitude can learn to read them for themselves and verify the information on these tablets. These tablets tell of the sumerians life and their "gods" that existed amongst them that came here to get the gold that exists on this planet for their own use.

The human beings they created from a primitive man like ape creature as a slave species to mine the gold called the "adamu". In the Bible it appears as "God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness" (note the use of the plural and not the singular) and lived in "E.din" in a place that became Babylon, Mesopotamia and is now modern day Iraq.
    The Bible even refers to "And the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone." Genesis 2:12 (why is "God" interested in gold?)

The gods intermingled with the female creatures (daughters of men) they genetically engineered which was an abomination to the heirarchy.
    The Annunaki gods have long since departed many tens of thousands of years ago but their genetic bloodline and influence from that intermingling gave rise to the idea of a divine connection and "royalty". The Annunaki are thought to have some sort of reptilian characteristic but were not generally allowed to be depicted in that form and were much larger and greater than humans.

The idea of "alien greys" point the ancient reference to the iggigi (the watchers) that have a "hive mind" whose function is to observe.

The idea that royals for thousands of years have married within their family groups was to preserve the genetic bloodline because they are "different" to the common man.

8. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I was just watching Total Recall last night, this totally reminds me of this they were mining on Mars too! Sharon Stone was hot in that show and there was the chick with three boobs, that would be kind of interesting for a one time deal. What were we talking about again?

9. systematic

something about space and gold ... and multi boobs and genetic engineering

10. systematic

dont get me started on a pot of gold at the end of the "rainbow" and stargate technology .... ;)

edit:
    Years ago i found an interesting article on the web about someone doing serious research on the volume of gold mined and claimed to have found a disturbing discrepancy in the reporting. His conclusion was a significant amount was missing and if it is on the planet - he cant find it. Unfortunately i lost that reference - can anyone use their google-fu skills and track it down?
    Unless its been removed from the web.

11. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

Deep sea mining will come first before space mining.

Source: Bloomberg

12. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Will have a look for this during the week - Sounds intriguing... :D

This also sounds intriguing - but I worry whenever I read the word 'reptilian'. Always makes me think of David Icke...

Do you know much about cuniform script? I've been itching to learn more about it, the idea of a cuniform dictionary sounds really exciting. :D

13. systematic

Yes RD i know the "reptilian" reference has its connotations. But even if you research the Dogon tribe they refer to "amphibious" gods. The Mayans refer to their god as having a "bird/serpent" characteristic. In the Bible the "devil" appears as a serpent (remember he was one of "Gods" favourites most high angels that lead a rebellion against him). Old evolution theory claims we came from the sea at some point, mermaid myths etc. Its hard to get away from the reference. We have a reptilian brain stem so somewhere along the line there is some sort of a connection in our distant past.

If you want a really interesting look at information check out Lloyd Pye's work on evolution and anthropology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgvqZixAzm4

this lecture series is an eye opener
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNGngZsxAhw

With all the economic chaos i have neglected my interests in the sumerian stuff for the time being.

14. RhythmDoctor

Something tells me you've read some Graham Hancock? I'd definitely appreciate an essential reading list, anything has to be better than this tosh the missus is trying to push on me at the moment...

[blokey grumble]The Last Witchfinder and such like. I might even buy her a DVD copy of Downton Abbey if she carries on with her period piece obsession [/blokey grumble]

15. systematic

yes i have read broadly including Alan Alford and Sir Lawrence Gardner

16. RhythmDoctor

He's a Sir now? Interesting... I loved his book Shadow of Solomon, as scathing as some bits are of course... :D

17. systematic

Further to my post #13 in the Bible, God warns Eve not to eat from the tree or thou shalt surely die.

The devil was once Gods most favourite high angel.
    This time he is depicted as a serpent symbolically coiled around a tree speaking to Eve ... hey babe, wanna DNA upgrade? Ye shall be like Gods ...

The symbolism speaks to me as DNA coiled like a double helix, tree of life, etc etc lots of symbolism, pine cones and pineal glands ... where did we come from?

18. systematic

I have seen references to him as Sir ...... its just a word with its origins and meanings ...

... like Sur ...or Saur .... dammit there goes an obscure reptilian reference to titleage and authority ...
    ah well ... tisk ...

19. systematic

Actually it looks like he might be deceased.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/o...se-work-helped-inspire-dan-brown-2056096.html
    Gardner met Michel Lafosse, a modern-day royal pretender, who styled himself "Prince Michael of Albany" and claimed to be a descendant of Bonnie Prince Charlie. Gardner accepted the titles "Chevalier Labhran de St Germain" and a "knighthood" from Lafosse, which he later renounced.

Laurence Gardner was a prominent author and speaker in the "alternative history" genre of research and writing, whose eight published works presented often controversial revisionist theories, challenging orthodox views of world history.

"Laurence became particularly well known in the US, through his popular radio phone-ins. He was a consummate professional always calm and organised with a gift for imparting complex ideas either through his talks or the written word. A man of nocturnal habits, whose e-mails would generally be sent in the middle of the night, he will be greatly missed."

20. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

I don't see the point in mining space specifically for gold. Not enough real technological demand for gold to bother with the mega expense (we probably have enough here on earth for now imho). I'd rather my tax dollars redirected to something the world really needs. Like terra-forming Mars in case we screw up Earth, or developing 3-boobed sex bots.

However, possibly related to new avenues for Gold extraction, I read that Scientists Modify Organism With Artificial Amino Acid:

"The Beeb reports that biologists Sebastian Greiss and Jason Chin have genetically modified a multicellular organism (Caenorhabditis elegans, a tiny worm) to combine an amino acid not found in nature into a custom-built protein. The protein created by their genetically-modified worm contained a dye which glows when exposed to UV light. While previous work showed that genetic modification could incorporate non-natural amino acids into custom proteins for single-celled organisms, this is the first time an entire animal has been modified."

I'm not a biologist and this was over my head a bit. But some of the comments alluded to where this will lead. i.e. "I can see this being used in foodstuffs, especially where Monsanto is involved, but where I see this really shining is in materials science. Microbes are the most efficient nano-machines in existence. Being able to custom program them to make novel substances and materials is a fundemental leap on technology."

So, we already have microbes that can clean up oil spills. How about custom built microbes that can take land-fill or sea water or whatever, and somehow excrete/collect the precious metals from it?