Horrific milking already on the 2016 1 oz. Silver Kangaroos!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Sep 26, 2015.

1. JEM

JEM New Member

I just received five 2016 1oz silver kangaroos and they are in perfect condition no milk spots whatsoever. I have only been collecting silver for a few months and have only received two coins with milk spots.
    One was a Canadian wildlife series cougar that the online dealer took back and sent me a new one, and the other was a 2015 Britannia that has a milkspot on the queens eye. (looks like someone nutted in her eye) I kept it. I hear everybody always griping about milk spots but how prevalent are they? I have about 80 coins and have had only two. Hopefully the ones I have don't develop problems down the road.

2. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

You are new.

This is the moment where we say... wait for it... wait for it...

They develop over time. My theory is the ammonia chloride reacts with oxygen (doesn't take much) to form silver chloride, the milk spots.

Tick, tick, tick, tick...

3. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Miloman is correct...All my Crocs and Spiders looked perfect till...............Bang ! MILKY appeared on the scene. I'm waiting on the new Kooks and see what pops up on the forum about their condition...

Cheers

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Milk spotting works a little like this....

[​IMG]

You just don't know how long the fuse (the wait) is.

:)

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Or they might not milk spot at all, you just never know.

I think it is just safe to say that they "have yet to milk spot", that should cover all eventualities even if they never develop any. Some of them are pretty small as well, I have ones that cover most of the face of a round and a few that are just noticeable. Either way, a collector will not want any.

If yours don't develop milkspots then they will be worth more, which is nice.

6. JEM

JEM New Member

Thanks for you responses. I have all my coins in the air-tites with the foam rings is this helpful at all or just a waste of money? I have noticed the air-tites are getting scratched from me fondling my coins to much. So I assume they are preventing scratches. I have been lurking here for awhile trying to absorb all the info and opinions on collecting/stacking and silver as an investment.

It seems like a good time for me to be getting into silver with the strong USA dollar and cheap prices here. The one thing I have learned is this shiny metal is addicting as hell. I have been using all my spare money and some that isn't spare to buy. I think I have a silver problem. Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I tend to keep one coin out of the protective capsule and I play with that one. If I want to hear them clink together I usually get some old predecimal junk coins, like the silver dollars or crowns. They are big and heavy and make a nice noise and it doesn't matter if they get any more scratches.

I had a lot of coins in airtites.
    They cost more (I would rather buy more metal than plastic)
    They take up more room in the safe
    They do scratch
    They are not 100% airtight so won't stop toning.

Unless a coin is a real rarity, or proof, I no longer bother. I just keep them in a tube.

8. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Yes air tites are great. I use them on my non-spotted, still BU, Gov minted bullion (and nice private minted rounds) when I buy loose coins or don't have full roll. If I buy a fresh roll I leave them in the roll and put them away still unopened (if sealed). If you get fresh new mint rolls, I would get one extra coin of that type that can be your "fondle" coin and act as a bit of a control for the rest to see if it spots up over time, so you don't have to open the full tubes to check, etc.

If you are just now getting into silver you are doing great I believe. There needs to be a 12 step program for PM's.

Jim

9. Sully

Sully Member

Ah yes, you've fallen down that silver-lined rabbit hole. Been there, still there, there's no escape...... and it's great!
    Advice is simple, work more--->earn more--->buy more of the precious
    :):D:lol:
    but seriously, enjoy your new hobby. And yes, i am broke more often than not because of it but it's worth it.

And did someone mention somewhere a 12 step recovery program?? No more of that dissenting talk, please!!! :p

10. mmissinglink

From my perspective, it's a really good time to be buying and getting into silver. Some of us got into silver and purchased plenty of it when the spot was about triple of what it is now. So you are basically getting nearly 3 X as much silver for the same USD as I was 3 years ago....I'd say that's a great way to start getting into silver and accumulating way more than many others for the same USD spent.

You are also in very good company if you have found yourself addicted to silver.

As for Air-tite capsules, I use them on every collector coin that I purchased that came in a cracked or badly worn capsule or for coins that came in no capsule. I don't bother putting any junk silver (circulated) coins in capsules. Silver blobs (common, non-denominated, low premium bars) is what I like to hold in the hand.

Air-tites are not airtight. To prevent surface damage (tarnish / corrosion) to silver (some enthusiasts call that "toning" :) ) your best bet is to vacuum seal or wrap and seal tightly in a non PVC-plasticizer plastic bag. Personally, it doesn't make sense to me to buy a perfectly good, shiny silver collector coin just to allow it to go to pot by allowing it to tarnish. I put tarnished and milk spotted coins in the same category: highly undesirable.

If I wanted to own coins that have truly appealing toning, I'd buy artificially toned coins like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111765888426?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361383363415?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-NIUE-H...32f875&pid=100012&rk=2&rkt=10&sd=111765888426

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361396504233

I like polished silver, it's shiny.

11. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Nice pics of the toned coins! Those are fantastic. I wonder if they stay the same over time?

Jim

12. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

In my experience toning is a different animal all together than milk spotting. Toning in some instances can command a substantial premium and add to the character and desirability of a coin...modern coins included .... milk spotting is almost universally negatively viewed.

13. JEM

JEM New Member

I received 6 more 2016 kangaroos today from a different online bullion dealer. One of the coins had a scratch on the queen side and also had 5-6 small milk spots on the kangaroo side, the other 5 were just fine. Unfortunately this dealer doesn't exchange bullion. The kangaroos are going for about 17.10 to 17.50 US depending on the dealer with the spot around 14.60 Today. I assume this is just because they are new and the premiums will rise with time. The design is quite busy but growing on me. Considering they are going for cheaper than most rounds and the first year I will probably get a few more until the premiums rise. I swear silver is the only investment I have made that I am rooting to go down so I can buy more cheaper.

JEM

14. mmissinglink

15. Aeti

Aeti New Member

I just received my 250 oz box and opened up one of the tubes. No milk spots on mine so far.

16. Mattman

Mattman New Member

I bought 26, one that I can hold and a tube to store. My tube came cracked, so I opened it. All 26 have good kangaroo sides, but all have some blurry, almost milky areas around the Queen. They were inexpensive, so if they milk badly maybe I'll just treat them as rounds.

17. Steel_Eyes

Steel_Eyes New Member

I bought a handful of the silver kangaroos and they look perfectly fine. The price was fine since they had just came out and were on sale. I'm not interested in buying anything with a high premium, especially now that spot keeps flirting into the $16 range.

If you guys are saying milk spots can suddenly form over time, then that's a bummer. I've only gotten into precious metals this summer and haven't noticed any spotting on anything yet. But anyway, if you think the coin looks cool, then buying one or two may not necessarily result in buyers remorse...from what I can tell so far...

18. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Looks like its hit or miss with these coins? I was in Perth Mint yesterday and in the display cabinet behind the bullion sales desk they have 2 kangas mounted on velvet with the remainder of the tube strategically spilling out of the tube, the ones mounted actually looked die/press damaged on the rim,sort of a nic on the rim onto the face where the silver was brighter. it stopped me buying a tube!

I know its just bullion grade coin but I will buy just one of these coins because its first year and will buy from a dealer who I am sure would not send out a damaged or milky coin as a single.

19. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If these coins are prone to milking, wonder who would pay almost 5x the spot price for this:

[​IMG]

20. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker