Have your say: BETTER investment: Mexican Libertads or Dragon Rounds?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by jossilver123, May 14, 2012.

1. jossilver123

jossilver123 New Member

What does the jury think??!

If you had ONE tube of 20 to buy, and you could buy ONLY one type of coin - either 1oz 2011 Mexican Libertads OR 2012 1oz Dragon Rounds (assuming the rounds are only $1 per coin LESS than the Libertads), WHICH ONE would YOU buy?! Any why?!

Which is the better long term investment in your oppinion? :)

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

umm neither, apart from silvers ups and downs these have 0 chance of achieving any premium above spot then you are paying now. 92 kook is the pick of the bunch ATM if it has to be 1oz else 5oz or 2oz PM dragons IMHO

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well of the two I would go for the Dragons:

Part of a series, some people will want to collect all 12 and will need the dragon even if they don't like it!
    Key coin in the Lunar Series, who doesn't like dragons?
    Past Dragons have gone up in value.
    Perth Mint product, moderately trustworthy
    Limited to 300,000 and 200,000 and however many more they can get away with.
    Relatively easy to get hold of.

The Libertads are unlimited, have a smaller fan base in Australia, not much change to the design, not part of a series. Why pay to import silver when we have some already here.

BUT it does have a naked lady on it.

4. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

IMHO this series will be dropped sometime past the snake... could be wrong, but anyone wanting to collect the full 12 is possibly going to be dissapointed

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Dragon rounds (i.e. private mint non legal tender) or Perth Mint Dragon coins?

If the dragons are just rounds, get the Libertads - no question.

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think he meant generic Dragon rounds NOT PM Dragon's
    Neither for me ,I'd rather get a 10oz bar/coin or a full sovereign

7. lynsilverbullion

lynsilverbullion Member

Lol, but these arent the actual dragons, they're dragon ROUNDS, kind of like Buffalo rounds but they've got a dragon type design to them!

To 'that guy': I'm surprised you picked the 92 Kooks, those have recently been reminted by PM, why would you pick those over say the 2011 kooks or something?

Ok then, 1 tube of 20 dragon rounds or 1 roll of 2011 kooks... the kooks are $47 dearer than the rounds for the whole tube, now assuming you already have several rolls of 2011 kooks, which would you buy then?... Interesting to see what you think!

8. Jislizard

I agree that a lot of the Chaff will be dropped, the coloured ones for sure, probably the rectangle set, maybe the type set, possibly the High Relief and soon enough the Gilded. The bullion will probably still be a seller though and the proofs are a good money maker for the mint.

I can't see them dropping all the lines, it would cost too much to come up with a new idea and market it, they can flog the lunar series for another couple of rounds easily.

9. lynsilverbullion

lynsilverbullion Member

Dragon rounds not coins:)

10. goldpelican

2011 Kookaburra mintage: 500,000
    1992 Kookaburra maximum mintage: 300,000
    1992 Kookaburra historical mintage: 198,356
    Maximum possible 1992 Kookaburra restrikes: 101,644

I'd take restrike 1992 Kooks over 2011 Kooks any day.

11. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

300k mintage '92s vs 500k mintage 2011, also design is better in '92 IMHO. If you can get the '11s at the same price it's a toss up really.

[edit]GP beat me to it, 92s have a bit of a bad stigma due to re strike but that will fade

12. Jislizard

Wrong end of the stick...

Well I haven't seen the Dragon rounds but Gov Issue legal tender would be placed higher than generic rounds for me.

I have a few of the libertads, they are nice but not nice enough to get 20 of them, not at the additional premiums.

I think if you are going for generic rounds you might as well save a bit extra and go for a bar, maybe even a Perth Mint bar would be better value than generic rounds.

I am not a fan of the Kooks, some look great but other than having a kook in them there doesn't seem to be much of a design theme going through the series, more just a random collection of different artists who happen to have drawn a kook. Too many of them look unattractive for me to want to buy the set.

13. lynsilverbullion

lynsilverbullion Member

Does anyone here think $36.90 is a good price for lunar dragon lion privys?

Would they be better or worse than the kooks (about $34each) as an investment?

Its true rounds dont have legal tender but they are the cheapest way to buy silver and sell when silver increases. Think about it, small premiums, means you get more silver for your dollar, means you HAVE more silver for when the price goes up. Also 1ozers tend to be better than bars as if silver gets to say $100 an ounce... whos gonna buy a PM 1KG bar for over $3000kg? Youve eliminated those who can only afford smaller ammounts!

Whats wrong with rounds?:)

14. jossilver123

jossilver123 New Member

Ok the following options are available:

Libertads stand at $32.80 each
    Rounds stand at $31.80 each
    1992 Kooks stand at $34 each

Pick ONE.

15. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

IF silver goes to $100+/oz it will IMHO be fake city. If you counterfeit a 1oz dragon round and you get caught you will be charged with fraud... which usually means the prosecutor, judge and police will like laugh at you may slap you on the wrist and tell you not to annoy them again. If you get caught counterfeiting kookaburras you have contravened federal law and kiss something taboo good bye. Thus if there were to be a massive increase in fakes due to a massive move in spot price, rounds and 1oz bars would be the logical target. Thus there are none in my stack

16. jossilver123

jossilver123 New Member

Wow I NEVER knew this before... that information is GOLD. You've definately convinced me, thanks mate! Glad I asked!

17. goldpelican

Selling fake bullion is a state matter - "obtaining financial advantage through deception". My experience is that state police aren't interested.

Selling fake legal tender bullion is a federal offence against the Crimes (Currency) Act 1981. My experience is that the AFP will seek DNA samples from your mouth via your arse.

18. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

Reported a forgery on eBay to AFP 4 or 5 days ago. Still there on Ebay.

search for - Australian Forgery

19. SA@YPS

SA@YPS New Member

I go with the Libertads. Of course, I'm closer to the Mexican boarder than most of you :cool: Plus, they resell very good here vs. a roll of kooks.

20. footycard

footycard New Member

yeah libertads if that was it, but your here in oz so your probably best to look for pm issue coins, as your question is just a scenario, in real life you can get what you want.

I'd go 2011 kooks before 1992, only because everyone seems to have '92 yet I don't see too many 2011's available.
    unless i'm not looking in the right places.
    but it seems regardless how cheap silver is getting, the online stores just keep adjusting the price back up, it's weird, but yeah, 2011 kooks whilst there still available.