Golden time to buy Silver!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by sammysilver, May 22, 2014.

1. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Which shares in particular did you buy?

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. sammysilver

Did you actually buy these or did you just pick these off the top of a performance list? If you own them, can you let us know when you sell them? Not taking the piss, but it will form part of the analysis knowing if you can get out before a crash.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Didn't buy them Sammy...you didn't pick-up on the sarcasm!!! :D

5. sammysilver

Thank you, I'm glad I was civil with you. If it had been the village idiot, I would've taken the piss. I might go on sharestackers.com.au and start putting shit on them.

6. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

do how much has your silver made you over the past 12 months?

7. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

I like your attitude.
    Never buy the story ,or you will get burnt like so many already have.
    Silver and gold have always been turbulent .
    The fact of the matter is we people have very very short memories.
    A year or 2 or 3 seems like all we can ever remember, even me who does look at charts and KNOWS there will be more his and lows to come with silver.
    It is easy for any newbies coming in to look at the last few years and say "my god it's on sale,better load up now or miss out"
    And guess what, they will most likely get burnt.
    If we did not have these ups and downs it would be very boring and not very rewarding (financially) and id probably just stick to my coins.

8. sterling-nz

Do not be so hard on yourself Sammy.
    We are all silver buyers in a silver forum, this shows we all have idiot tendencies and should not be surprised when these tendencies show at times:)

9. sammysilver

It comes back to the individual and why they stack. I stack to keep my wealth out of the system. It's mine and I hold it. No paper trail, no share certificates, little chance of impulse buys. There is a bit of volatility but not enough to worry me as I feel I'm already in front. My super is in shares, and that's a worry.

10. sterling-nz

So Milo this is the second time in 2 days i have seen you call an ACCURATE chart bogus.
    May be you should let us all know what you consider to be acceptable charts for you:)
    I can see that you do not accept accurate historical charts.
    Do you only accept charts from the likes of seekingalpha ,silverdoctors?
    It is not ok for you to call ACCURATE charts bogus.
    The may be bogus to your way of thinking ,but on a factually accurate basis they are NOT BOGUS

11. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

yeah golden time, you see now.
    [​IMG]

this thing call silver better be up there.

12. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Honestly what has changed?

A truck load more debt.

This silver call thing is nothing new, it's a generational call. ALL fiat currency end with total debasement of their value. We are watching shifts, now if you were in Russia then rapidly your stack would be double in value over the last year. But watch the shift swing!!!

The charts that are pure propaganda deal with arithmetic values not logarithmic values and do not account for increases in the monetary supply, inflation/currency debasement debt or anything else.

Now the longer term generational shifts is what we are discussing, short term gyrations have always been just part of a much larger trend. Just look at any major move.

13. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

I paid for it in Euros/ECU...so.....

Silver only +6.94%

Gold has been better at +19.81%

And you?

14. Miloman

I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one.

Old Soul,
    If your goal is to make a cash profit, have you sold? What is your time-frame?

Over the last 12 months there have been much better trades than that!

Not everyone measures performance over 12 months. Some investments might even go down in value before their potential is realized.

I would dare say that the majority of stackers here take the longer term view in regards to silver and gold. And right now GSR is favoring silver.

Do you imagine our measures, purposes, expectations and timeframes are the same?

15. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

My goal is not to make a short cash profit. 19% is not to be sneezed at and I was answering a question that posed that time frame

I don't believe in the gsr theory. I have other investments.

PMs are just doing exactly what they are supposed to for me as the euro slumps.

16. Miloman

What do you believe PMs are supposed to do?

Do you own paper gold and silver or physical?

Have you sold because unless you have sold then you have not made 19%? (as you have a cash bias - which is perfectly legitimate but not everyone has that bias)

And yeah if you had simply bought USD it went from 72 to 95 during the same time period, a 32% change!

Oh and GSR theory is pretty useful... I know of others using it to make crazy amounts more metals. It's been around and used.

E.g.
    First purchase - 2001 bought 10oz gold at 1:55
    2003 swapped 10oz gold at 1:80 for 800oz silver
    2007 swapped 800oz silver at 1:45 for 17.77 oz gold
    2009 swapped 17.7oz gold at 1:82 for 1,458oz silver
    2012 swapped 1,458oz silver at 1:35 for 41oz gold

Right now GSR is above 70... so looks good value to me!

In actuality I know some who have 5 times their holdings by doing trades since 2000. I wish I were that smart to become a believer.

17. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Good for you then. PMs occupy about 14% of my portfolio before they fell off my boat. If you don't know their purpose in yours then you should sell them.

Feel free to do the GSR thingy and come back to be in two years and let me know how it worked for you. I see no correlation that demands any particular ratio.

Opinions may vary on that but I'm not into it. Neither would I trade coffee based on light crude.

What exactly is your point? Not to buy pms 12 months ago? Do you even know what deposit interest tax is? Or fund management fees? Or brokerage fees? Or what a W8 declaration is? Or inheritance tax. Do you have dependents? Do you know what floor rate forex is? Capital gains?

Good luck with your GSR stuff and I hope that whatever wonderland 19% seems small in may ever be your home.

Unless you want to scribble out your own personal finances don't push others on theirs.

The point is simple. If you purchased gold 12 months ago using Euros, or held it 12 months ago, its value in the currency you paid for it in has risen 19%.

Now if you know better trades or whatever or want to play forex via cash (u know what a floor rate is?) go for it.

18. Miloman

Old Soul,
    I'm not sure where you got the impression that I said a 19% paper gain was a bad thing, it's fine. But if you haven't sold then you really haven't made that as a profit.

Kinda leap frogged and avoided all my questions too. And to answer your questions, yep know those things.

Also there is a different comparing gold/silver to oil/coffee but don't let that stop you.

I'll try again.
    What do you believe PMs are supposed to do?

Do you own paper gold and silver or physical?

Have you sold because unless you have sold then you have not made 19%? (as you have a cash bias - which is perfectly legitimate but not everyone has that bias)

19. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

I don't own any PMs as they fell off a boat...They are a hedge against government.....however in theory they could be held to bypass inheritance taxes for dependents in their physical form and require no management fee or legal process or electronically auditable mechanism to transfer. Neither does their value depend on the existence or co-operation of any particular institution. Naturally enough I find your question regarding forex daft. To attain real forex floor rate you would have to move enough cash to attract a great deal of attention.....equally as you are aware since you are fluent in markets and using them you know what a W8 is.

So in essence since local property and cars are valued in Euros their is no harm in using that to gauge the increase in golds value either is there? And a lump of gold bought 12 months ago in the EU gets you 19% more property - ff not more in many countries.

That is a simple example.

Have you ever bought property 'under the table'? Not everything needs to get converted back to currency.

I'll try again. Gold went up 19% If you bought it in Euros. Euros buy assets denominated in euros like land and houses. These did not go up in most Eurozone countries.

What do you think PMs are supposed to do and why exactly would you doubt the utility of physical gold in the current context of the Euro or for example the ruble in the last 12 months?

20. Miloman

Sorry I don't know what a W8 is specifically but I take it that you an American in Europe (I'm Aussie)

Plenty of brokers and instruments to trade forex to get a better rate.

I've never bought property under the table.

Oh I totally agree with you in not needing to convert back to currency. We absolutely sing the same song there and probably would even finish each others sentences.

Now to your bigger question... (can't answer it in full though)
    Physical precious metals... yep hedge against government i.e. inflation, insurance/protection against fiat collapse, money that's indestructible (fits definition), undervalued historically and relatively.

I never doubted the utility of gold in the Euro context. I get you understand relative values ie. gold going up and property staying the same.

Going on...
    Historically the fiat empire can only really move in one direction but have various effects... that is greater indebtedness. That much is inescapable. So I tend to use facts like a detective. What happens to a fiat empire with increasing amounts of indebtedness?.... etc. etc.

My belief is using this logic, "the rest is rather elementary".