Gold Vs Silver

Discussion in 'Gold' started by The Accountant, Apr 5, 2011.

1. The Accountant

The Accountant New Member

Surely with all this action in Silver (some call it poor man's Gold!), the contrarian in all of us is thinking Gold will have it's day soon.

Buy on the dips!

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

No, apparently it's different this time :/

3. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

Gold is a good investment but long term. I expect price to stay relatively flat short term with ups and downs. Within 6 months though, I think gold will crack $1500/oz and silver will crack $50/oz.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Which would still see silver outperforming gold.

The current trend is for the GSR to go down down down:

[​IMG]

I think we may need a major compelling economic event to disrupt this pattern - it shrugged off Japan which must rank as this year's black swan.

5. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

gold vs silver? abottot vs costello? iran vs iraq? aussies vs kiwis/brits? lollingwood vs essendon?

all famous battles.

stack both, def agree with the pelican silvers in backwardation atm and alot of speculative money is on board driving the price up, gold is not in backwardation but from what ive been reading once that begins we will definately see some major movement in the gold price.

6. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

that is a nice graph :)
    But i agree with the above, there is a lot of talk about gold getting ready for a move up. Waiting, waiting.... surely those 5g bars of mine will make a decent profit eventually. (i know, i know - saving wealth not investment blah blah. But this is my bathroom money!)

7. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

Correct. :D

As much as I love stacking silver ... the allure of shiny gold is very attractive. My gold stack is soon going to be equal to my silver stack in value. Neither is huge but enough to keep me happy.

8. Ernster

Ernster New Member

I dont see any likely scenario where Silver wont go up with Gold. So the question then is, which will go up more?

Silver obviously.

If you want "safe" keep your money in the bank, not in Gold:)

*runs away*

9. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

i treat gold as a forms of savings, money that i dnt want to save in fiat goes into gold.
    silvers my speculative play and more than happy to sell it when i need cash or lock in some profits.

10. The Accountant

The Accountant New Member

I am a naturally conservative person - the silver story with it's huge recent growth makes me nervous - lot of hot money in it and if we get a spook I worry that hot money will run back to Gold, or worse still to fiat.

On this basis my stack is targeting 70% Gold 30% silver - if I'm wrong I'm a winner anyway as you Silver jockeys drive the metal into lunar orbit!

11. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

When the SHTF in the US/across the world...where are the SHEEPLE gunna head?

"Silver...whats that?... Aw yeah, Gold. - i gotta get Gold coz thats valuable...aw yeah,now i know why they had all those Gold buyer stalls at the shopping centre"

12. Forge

Forge Member

Silver goes up faster, and down much faster. While the world progresses 'normally' silver will continue to outperform gold.

13. Agauholic

Agauholic New Member

$25 move overnight... wow

14. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

I think to sum it up.. if I had cash for a holiday (to be had in 12 months) ready to go but the money didn't need to be transferred for it until just before the holiday, I'd buy silver, not gold. Cash the Ag in in 12 months and make a tidy profit. Gold is much more solid with growth over the long term hmmm but even saying that silver is for the long term as well.. why do I have gold again?? I forget. Diversification? We all know silver's gonna (and is right now) outperform gold. Anyone STRONGLY disagree?

What's the case..the predicted probabilities that the ratio between the risk that gold will outperform silver and the growth rate (%) of silver for any time period selected. If the likelihood that silver's growth rate is higher than the predicted relative growth rate of gold compared to silver and the probability of a silver crash, shouldn't we all just be stacking silver.

Love to hear more comments taking into consideration the recent changes in world economics (Japan and other disasters) that will affect the consumption of silver as an industrial metal.

15. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

I don't know if that's what I would do given that situation...

Silver is so much more volatile than gold, its possible you wouldn't make a profit at all if when the time came to liquidate the silver to pay for the holiday there happened to be a big dip. If I had the aim of cashing out my investment in 12months time I don't think I would be looking at physical silver. Or gold for that matter, the buy sell spreads and premiums on physical metals discourage short term buying and selling. If I need to put money aside for a holiday, or any set expense that will come due in the short term it goes in a term deposit.

Just because over the last 12months you have, or would have made money if you were in silver, there is no guarantee that you will in the next 12. I believe in the fundamentals, silver will go up, but with big players making the charts dance to their tune who knows what kind of dips we will see on this roller-coaster ride.

16. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

This was posted elsewhere. Food for thought.

http://silver-metal-investment.blogspot.com/2011/04/presidential-bombshell.html

Don't how accurate the figures are.

17. Goldrush

Goldrush Member

Gold for me is my long term savings plan. It doesn't have the volatility like silver nor possibly the potential upside of silver. The majority of my physical ounces of pm is in Gold. But I have more fiat exposed to silver through the share market in miners than I currently have in physical. My reasoning is that I feel I am better served with both leverage and liquidity in the share market than if I held physical only. The eventual aim is to cash out my shares and convert to real estate and more physical gold
    It's not for everyone but it serves my purpose at the moment.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

As long as you're holding Silver OR Gold and not fiat paper, you're going to be fine.

Hell, I even have a small amount of copper in my stack...

19. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

I just dont see fiat going into a SHTF scenario in Australia, if anything our dollar will perform quite well over the next year or so.

20. BBQ

BBQ Member

Recently put off by gold 'cause I see it as far less useful than silver in industry.
    I like industry and real-world needs and implementations.

I see silver exploding far more than gold.
    Not that I'm particularly concerned about the small amount I have resulting in monster profits.