Germany to repatriate gold

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Ausecon, Jan 15, 2013.

1. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Of course logistics is not THE issue. But what is this announcement of a 7 year delivery process telegraphing to market observers?

I interpret that as saying there will be central bank accumulation of gold from this point on, if for no other reason than to buy back the German gold for delivery. Isn't this implying a floor for the value of gold at its current price.

But gold is mobilising and moving around the world again between mainstream economic powers! Not just the smaller and ignorable countries like Venezuela, Iran, Turkey, or the early adopters/promoters like Iraq and Libya, but Germany. Once the gold becomes mobile again, transportation logistics are a given and other countries will move for direct control and mobilisation of their gold.

If national wealth is being rated in terms of gold holdings again, then doesn't this mean even more central bank buying?

Have we just crossed the golden Rubicon?

2. Marsi

Marsi Member Silver Stacker

It didn't take them very long at all to come up with a timeframe for the return. Surely there would have had had to have been a few meetings to discuss this. In my experience with governing authorities, i would have expected at least a few months to pass before a timeframe would have been given, unless a plan of action had already been put in place for such a situation. Germany seems ok with it though so perhaps they already knew the standard timeframe of delivery. No reports of shock or amazement at the lengthy timeframe. Somethings smells or doesnt smell, I dont know.

3. Greenman

Greenman Member Silver Stacker

Perhaps they can repatriate all the German Silver going around too. I'm sure there are people who have been caught buying the stuff thinking it was the real deal.

4. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Max Keiser has a few words to say about it too:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lnslMWhOTw[/youtube]

5. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

I guess the Bundesbank should go after Teli Savalas and Clint Eastwood. They must have all the gold. :rolleyes:

6. TreasureHunter

It's the French, I guess :lol:

7. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

IB TIMES - THE BIGGER PICTURE:

http://www.ibtimes.com/big-picture-behind-germany-taking-half-its-gold-home-1042254

"There have been widespread stories that the Fed does not have the gold to return as gold held for governments is usually, 'unallocated'. This suggests that the German gold reserves were not 'allocated'. Ordinarily, central bank monetary reserves should be held in an 'allocated' format to evidence to whom they belong. As it is, held in an 'unallocated' form, in simplistic terms, this means that should the Fed fail, foreign central banks holding their gold there would be that unsecured creditors. This concern has been voiced inside Germany. It has been noted that the gold of Germany has not been audited in the past and it should be, on a regular basis. The German Court of Auditors told legislators that the gold had "never been verified physically" and ordered the Bundesbank to secure access to the storage sites. It called for repatriation of 150 tons over the next three years to test the quality and weight of the gold bars. But Germany has decided to move more than in this recommendation. It is said that Frankfurt has no register of the numbered gold bars."

8. TreasureHunter

7 years for repatriation is a long time.
    I bet the US and/or France and/or the UK don't have the gold. I also think the Germans are smart enough to check the content: "Hat es Wolfram oder nicht?"

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Probably a few reasons for the timeframe, all of which have been touched on in this thread.

- "no need to panic", repatriating it all in one go would be an incredibly bullish signal for gold that would send the price to the moon.

- assay - much of the gold in the Fed is allegedly coin bars (basically 22k gold) from the 1930s nationalisation of US gold coinage - they just melted the coins. I'm betting there's a process of testing, assay, and refinement to international standard as part of the delivery. You don't just turn that much capacity "on".

- insurance - "hoppla! Ze boat is sunk" - you don't shift $37b in liquid assets through international waters and across borders without coverage - risk managers would be having conniptions at the thought of shifting that much gold.

I think the signal it would send to the market though is the big one.

10. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ as someone else raised, how valid is the last one given they are one of the largest economies of the world asking for delivery from the country with the largest defence capability? Self insurance via your defence forces seems practical (potentially with the US providing additional support for diplomacy etc reasons).

11. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

If the date does not get pulled forward i'll eat my alfoil hat. Face it Germany.... its gone
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmFo-LKHGY0[/youtube]

12. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Cant they just bung it in a few satchels marked "Collectibles" and valued at 1930s (confiscation) prices? Save heaps on shipping and ins.

Bugger if some gets lost in the Mail though. International transactions always make me nervous. :(

13. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

More conspiracy fluff- http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/blog/5375/where-german-gold

14. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RLhpkaIC7g[/youtube]

15. CriticalSilver

I wonder if they recast the bars before delivery not because they would otherwise be identified as not German, but so that the bars could not be identified as stolen from the actual owner? Aren't the Chinese recasting all their imported bars...

... I wonder if Australian Gold is specially marked?

16. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well they've just shipped over a one tonne Kangaroo!!

http://www.perthmint.com.au/1-tonne-gold-coin.aspx

This gold conspiracy is achieving 9/11 status.
    Everyone knows someone stole it but lies and obfuscation and red herrings and misinformation is concealing the truth quite effectively.
    I don't know how anyone could believe the German gold still exists in New York, especially after this latest farce.

17. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

That's the point, their reason for "recasting" is bs. I do not, nor does many people believe that the gold in those bars is German.

Thank you very much for posting this House hopefully it will open some eyes of the mainstream

18. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Germany Has Recovered A Paltry 5 Tons Of Gold From The NY Fed After One Year
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-...ered-paltry-5-tons-gold-ny-fed-after-one-year
    This is what happens when players begin to sit down in an international sized game of musical chairs.

Maybe it's difficult to ship gold around the world?
    [​IMG]
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-...nnounce-it-has-more-doubled-its-gold-reserves

China has already got a seat, EU has thier eyes on the PIIGS seat, US is pretending it is sitting on a seat the it pawned a long time ago, Australia is sitting in the corner with it's finger in it's nose wondering what a chair is usefull for

19. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Sounds like a good enough reason to me, got 32ton from Paris, no small amount, decent enough yearly return.

If the meager 5 tons per year becomes a habit out of New York, then questions need to be asked though.

20. CriticalSilver

Isn't there a different between testing for purity after the shipment is received and receiving recast bars?
    http://www.zerohedge.com/contribute...old-housed-new-york-paris-and-london-all-gone

It seems to me that any excuse they come up with for having the bars remelted before receipt is highly questionable. The concept of plausible deniability comes to mind as a motivator above all else. They would definitely not want to be receiving someone else's golf and THEN recasting it, that's for sure.

Perhaps it is Italian gold recast and shipped to Frankfurt, or maybe Greek gold, or even German gold, or possibly a mixture. However, the only thing for sure is that by recasting the gold before receiving it, there is no telling whose gold it was beforehand and no doubt over whose gold it is now.