General Motors to close Holden

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by rbaggio, Dec 5, 2013.

1. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah I wasn't going to comment either but.

So a childcare worker who looks after our kids get's a measly $30,000 PA , but a union employed "manufacturer" who does basically the same thing day in day out gets a cool $100,000 ++ for using an airgun to tighten bolts and screw's with generous hours and leave entitlements, not to mention the payout they will receive after the next three years of being able to line up another job while still getting a top grade pay for glorified bolt tighteners ?

Sure recently there was a move to increase the wages of those childcare workers, you know the ones who actually provide care for a generation of young Aussies, but that rise in wages was , if you look at the fine print quarantined from those who were not members of a said union, and only really applied to those who worked for a said union backed company.

No mention of the average $15 a week paid to the Union by each worker who is also already subsidised at the rate on average of $50.000 a year for each worker by the Aussie taxpayer at holden .

Ever watched a docco on the ex Great city of Detroit in America and what happened there due to Unions running up the cost of labour to the point that it became uneconomical for the manufacturing company to operate there ?

What does an average mechanic reap an hour working for someone else ? Are all of these Holden workers qualified mechanics ? Would they have half the check's and balances or needed qualifications a childcare worker needs to have to look after a little kid in a day care centre ?

Ah subsidy's huh

We subsidised Leyland and they left.
    We subsidised Kodak and they left.
    We subsidised Chrysler and they left.
    We subsidised Ford and they are leaving.
    We subsidised Holden and they are leaving.

I guess no-one remembers that just last year labor were all full of pride about how they had ensured Holden would be manufacturing here for the next decade due to a $275 million handout ?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...ive-us-to-penury/story-fni0ffxg-1226780985249

Just where do you think that money came from ? so now just a year later they want more, what about next year or the year after ?

Even a member here like The End will give evidence as to the work standards of the staff at Holden in Australia.

The Union rep's themselves are even more telling. Not so sure if he deserves an award or not from that acting but do check out the slip at 1 minute in when he slips up and nearly screws his whole slag of the the current Gov't by nearly admitting that the Gov't knew about this for 11 months or more. Not to mention the total character change with help from a patient press as he get's his thoughts in order after such an emotional start... Oh you weren't supposed to see the pre news release

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYQ6SRb5iU8[/youtube]

Meanwhile

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=320903&CategoryId=14090

Face it, the workers priced themselves out of a job and the successive governments let them while increasing every other cost they had thanks to squeaky environmental wheels, meanwhile childcare still cost's a fortune and those on the front line still receive's a paltry wage far below that of a bolt tightener.

2. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

without Holdens and Fords to fix all the time I wonder what all the Housos will do with their spare time.
    Its certainly going to change the face of racing

3. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

OMG. Could he be any more pathetic?
    He is crying because the loss of membership means his Xmas party budget just got slashed.

4. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

I still believe in unions only for the job security part of being a member...but after hearing that some of these Holden employees will be getting 300-500k redundency payouts i am disgusted........ Most people have to work until they're at least 65 if not longer these days and all they will have when they retire is their superannuation!

5. wrcmad

:lol:

http://www.news.com.au/national/the...be-made-in-china/story-fncynjr2-1226783057648

6. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I look foward to seeing the new Chinese Holdan Comodoor

7. wrcmad

That should read Commie-door. ;)

8. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Classic Australian car made in China... Jesus :/

9. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Reproduced from an email doing the rounds

10. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Isn't the average Australian wage now about 70k per annum?

11. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

These massive redundancy packages are disgusting.....Shame on Holden and the workers/unions for allowing it all to happen.

12. wrcmad

I can guarantee the workers/unions wont feel any shame about it happening. ;)

13. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Wonder if the new Chinese built Commadore/Buick will be a flop?

14. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

15. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

The Chinese may have a few things going against them but from what I understand they don't have a "bongs at lunch" culture so quality may well be good.

16. Caput Lupinum

So your fellow brothers and sisters in tools are losing their jobs and you're disgusted at their payouts. Sounds to me like someone's just jelly. :rolleyes:

17. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

No its just way too much money......I got 7k for nearly ten years service and they get 300K....WTF!!!!!!! :mad:

18. Caput Lupinum

Sounds fair to me so long as all the money is coming out of Holden's pocket. As I said you're just jelly

19. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

I won't be buying one. Current Buicks are all FWD with AWD in top spec models only. Large car in FWD means horrible torque steer, why would I bother. I would prefer to test drive a RWD BMW or go AWD: Suzuki Kizashi or Suburu Liberty or something else in the Suburu stable, even Audi if the budget stretches. Hyundai Genesis is RWD if they finally sent it here. And the Chrysler 300 SRT as a loyal V8 driver.

The long wheel base Buicks work in China where having leg room on the road is apparently a status symbol. Not such an engaging drive if you want to go to the mountains or otherwise long distance like an Australian driver.

AND in regards to the video on the AMWU guy, I went to the actual YT video page and a comment there points out the union thug almost catches himself out at about 01:00 when he just stops himself stating that the Government knew for 11 months GM's plans. Who was in government 11 months ago? Go cry crocodile tears on Kim Carr's shoulders.

20. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

News coming out of Ford and GM's US headquarters, both are expanding their North American manufacturing capacity, in lower cost countrie or lower cost factories than in Australia.

Ford in particular are releasing 16 new models in the USA. The investment in tooling alone to produce so many new models, and all at once, would be immense.

GM is pumping money into new engines including a new V6, and a 10 speed auto gearbox. All of which involves more mechanisation/robotics, and the AMWU would stand in the way of that here so why bother, close the factory. GM is also considering a dividend and the share price has risen 44% in 2013 - so something must be going right for them at the moment.

And we've priced ourselves out of building any of that, and the populace seems content to take most of their new cars from Thailand or Korea.