Free market regulation

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by bordsilver, May 6, 2014.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

bordsilver likes this.
  2. mmm....shiney!

^ I find their "Check this” - an extension that analyses the source of news content simplistic and value laden, which is fine as I take responsibility for myself, but their other services are pretty good.

3. mmm....shiney!

I've posted this elsewhere but it occurred to me that this is a more appropriate thread as it is an example of free-market regulation, as opposed to say the NSW government's ban on greyhound racing a couple of years ago which was imposed from the top down and sought to enhance the value of a few at the expense of others.

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/cal...nimously-to-restrict-use-of-the-whip-20190331

bordsilver likes this.
  4. mmm....shiney!

Following on from news that racing authorities will restrict the use of the whip comes this latest piece of US news where a group of race track owners in the States have released a statement explaining that the use of performance enhancing drugs (in this case they refer to Lasix) will be phased out over the next couple of years.

The rationale behind it is because of pressure from groups such as PETA, whose two major issues with horse racing are the use of whips and drugs.

A solid move to ensure the longer term viability of the sport and yet another example of free-market regulation.

https://www.justhorseracing.com.au/...ng-set-to-phase-out-race-day-lasix-use/516421

5. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We dont have free markets in America. Our govt picks the winners and losers. It's totally govt controlled.
    The closest thing to a free market is the black market which is thriving.

6. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In Canada the legal govt marijuana shops are losing out to the black market sellers.

Seems the government weed is too expensive, and private enterprise is undercutting the official dealers by about a third.

bordsilver likes this.
  7. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Weed is legal here now and much cheaper than a few years ago. The price has been cut in half or more.